spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

djoropallo

join:2003-10-20
Maple Shade, NJ

Verizon Cutting Live NFL Channel For Commercials!!!

Twice already during tonight's game Verizon went to a commercial break cutting away from commentary and a set of downs. What a crappy service FIOS is turning out to be, how can they just cut a live NFL game for political ads?

djoropallo

Maple Shade, NJ

They just cut out another couple of plays for Pat Boone!

quebec88

@verizon.net
reply to djoropallo

I noticed it about 3 times now.

quebec88

@verizon.net

Make that 4 times now!

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
kudos:1
reply to djoropallo

I think this is automated and the fact that the automated process remained during a live event is probably the fault of NFLN. It most likely happened across providers.

If I'm wrong, someone will jump in and explain the process.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2

Commercials are inserted via an inaudible tone (to the human ears), couldn't tell you whose fault it is though -- could be NFLN for putting in the tone in the wrong place or it could be Vz's equipment detecting the tone when there is no tone.

gmen77

@comcastbusiness.net
reply to knarf829

I'm pretty sure these are all locally installed (all of the commercials I'm seeing are either local political/car dealer ads or direct response spots). Nobody I talk to with Comcast or TimeWarner has this issue, so it has to be a FIOS thing.

Also, unless I'm wrong, most of these posts are from people in NJ or PA.

ScrawnyB

join:2004-05-18
Carlisle, PA
reply to djoropallo

I've seen it happen a few times across various channels, not just live events. It's rare enough that it's not bothering me though. But I could see it annoying people who watch a lot of sports and it keeps happening.

djoropallo

Maple Shade, NJ

They blacked out an entire series of downs last night, and the ads are all local, not national so they can't blame the NFL.

Onedollar

join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA
kudos:6
reply to djoropallo

Sounds like local vho issue if the commercial is local. Local commercials are usually inserted at vho level

knarf829

reply to djoropallo

said by djoropallo:

They blacked out an entire series of downs last night, and the ads are all local, not national so they can't blame the NFL.

As was stated earlier, the network sends an inaudible audio signal that tells Verizon's computers when it is clear to insert the local commercials. It's not like it some dude is sitting around pressing the "commercial button."

The question is whether NFL was sending the signal incorrectly or whether Verizon was reading a signal when one was not really sent.

djoropallo

Maple Shade, NJ

said by knarf829:

said by djoropallo:

As was stated earlier, the network sends an inaudible audio signal that tells Verizon's computers when it is clear to insert the local commercials. It's not like it some dude is sitting around pressing the "commercial button."

The question is whether NFL was sending the signal incorrectly or whether Verizon was reading a signal when one was not really sent.

Well, since my neighbor that has Comcast doesn't have the problem I'd guess it is Verizon's fault.

MagScribe

join:2001-08-20
West Chester, PA
reply to djoropallo

Verizon has been having this issue periodically in VHO 8 at least — random inserts, errors, mistimed commercials and so on. No one complains much, so it seems to be tolerated.
--
I do local news. My top site: www.unionvilletimes.com

knarf829

reply to djoropallo

said by djoropallo:

said by knarf829:

said by djoropallo:

Well, since my neighbor that has Comcast doesn't have the problem I'd guess it is Verizon's fault.

Sounds like it. Have you reported it?

djoropallo

Maple Shade, NJ

I called and they claim it is the NFL doing it.

Andy from CA
Premium
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA

said by djoropallo:

I called and they claim it is the NFL doing it.

Did you ask them why the NFL isn't doing it to Comcast?

djoropallo

Maple Shade, NJ

Of course I did, it is like talking to a brick wall.

MagScribe

join:2001-08-20
West Chester, PA
reply to djoropallo

Brick walls don't usually lie to you.

This is, without doubt, a Verizon issue. I've noticed a lot of issues with their local commercial inserts at least in VHO 8, so I assume like so many other issues (cough-VOD-cough), the software managing the inserts is poorly managed, poorly written and not monitored.
--
I do local news. My top site: www.unionvilletimes.com

madrhino

join:2004-07-03
reply to djoropallo

If it's happening only in NY and PA it's because God hates the Giants and the Iggles.
--
Get Verizon FIOS,The Anti-DIOS