dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
johnkim
join:2011-10-01

johnkim

Looking to switch from Unblock to UnoTelly, any experience?

My contract at unblock is almost over and looking to switch to UnoTelly, they have some good channels. Anyone have experience with them? I never heard of them talked about it here.

I did some whois lookup and they seem to have hidden their info so I don't know who they are:

Registrant Contact:
WhoisGuard
WhoisGuard Protected ()

Fax:
11400 W. Olympic Blvd. Suite 200
Los Angeles, CA 90064
US

Administrative Contact:
WhoisGuard
WhoisGuard Protected (32b6084c79354b428895c83dcb6df135.protect@whoisguard.com)
+1.6613102107
Fax: +1.6613102107
11400 W. Olympic Blvd. Suite 200
Los Angeles, CA 90064
US
hstiffer85
join:2012-02-22
Calgary, AB

hstiffer85

said by johnkim:

My contract at unblock is almost over and looking to switch to UnoTelly, they have some good channels. Anyone have experience with them? I never heard of them talked about it here.

I have been using them for the last 6 months and so far so good! Yes they definitely do have more channels than the unblock people and are a bit quicker to respond to technical queries (although they can still improve!).

Try out their 8 day gold trial before applying and you will definitely come to know yourself. Oh! and one more thing, since the tunlr episode, they have also thrown in a 50% discount on their first month of service. So basically you can get about 40 days of unotelly for 2 bucks. Definitely worth trying.

Cheers~
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to johnkim

to johnkim
I had unotelly before unblockus... AWFUL! It went down almost nightly for at times for hours between midnight and 6am. They made excuses like "SERVER UPDATES", etc. Then they started pointing blame at my end.. Refused to return my money after a 1 of the 3 months paid for was used (I only wanted the unused months back).

My recommendation... try them monthly before you ever think of switching full time. Unblock us always works for me... never down.. never been any issues.
jack322
join:2012-09-19

jack322 to johnkim

to johnkim
I'm using Unotelly for about 6 months. It's a nice service and their customer support is great. I don't know if koreyb faced so many problems as he said, but unotelly works flawlessly on me. I had one issue on setting it up to my router when I started using it but unotelly's guys helped me solve it 3 hours later from the time I've submitted a support ticket.
unotelly0
join:2012-10-06

unotelly0 to koreyb

to koreyb
said by koreyb:

I had unotelly before unblockus... AWFUL! It went down almost nightly for at times for hours between midnight and 6am. They made excuses like "SERVER UPDATES", etc. Then they started pointing blame at my end.. Refused to return my money after a 1 of the 3 months paid for was used (I only wanted the unused months back).

My recommendation... try them monthly before you ever think of switching full time. Unblock us always works for me... never down.. never been any issues.

Hi Korey,

This is Nick from UnoTelly. I was the agent who handled your ticket, and I deeply apologize for the experience you had.

Without your permission, I will not discuss the specific details of your ticket. However, if you could grant us the permission, we would like to discuss about this more openly and present our response.

Without getting into any specific information, I could say is from my heart that I tried my best to assist Korey to resolve his issue but was not able to do so due to lack of user feedback to continue the diagnostic process.

For anyone who is or has worked on remote support desk, you would understand sometimes we need the user to provide some feedback of the specific errors so we can eliminate possible cause one by one until we can find the root cause because we are not physically on-site to inspect the actual device.

For DNS service, there are millions of things can go wrong:

1. ISP has transparent proxy blocks connection
2. Router Firewall blocking connection
3. Router has binding DNS service (i.e. Netgear+OpenDNS built-in)
4. ISP has filtering (some ISP provide extra "value-added service" )
5. User's IP address changes which need to be updated
6. User error in setup
7. Our internal issue
8. and there are millions more

For example, last night, I assisted a new user from Australia which had trouble loading up the Netflix image. We were working on the Teamviewer session for over 4 hours but could not figure out why until I decided to check his router's firewall log. It turned out his router is filtering 3rd party DNS response and treating it as SYNC Flood. I modified his router setting and voila, everything started working. Without extensive input from our user, issue like this will never be fixed because they are very invisible until you dig deeper in a Teamviewer session.

Again, I would like to discuss in more details about the case Korey presented but only if Korey could grant us the permission to do so.

Best Regards,
Nick
Team UnoTelly
BobSagget
join:2005-06-23
Barrie, ON

BobSagget to johnkim

to johnkim
Been with UnoTelly for a while now and they have been great. Much appreciate the ability to switch between like 5 different countries for Netflix. So much content to watch.
DSMdude
join:2012-06-30
Kitchener, ON

DSMdude to johnkim

to johnkim
Ive been with them for four months with zero issues. Truly a set it and forget it service. I had to log a ticket during initial setup but figured out the issue before they responded - though they responded only an hour after the ticket submission. I was shocked! Go for it - you wont be disappointed.
unotelly0
join:2012-10-06

unotelly0 to johnkim

to johnkim
Hi all,

Netflix Sweden is here! Netflix Sweden is just released today but we have already supported it! That's right! Now you can change your Netflix not only from US,CA,GB,IE,MX,BR , but also to Sweden!

Netflix Sweden has some really cool Swedish movies and some newer movies that are not found in other regions including Contagion 2011: »movies.netflix.com/WiMov ··· 50000009
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to johnkim

to johnkim
I recently tried both services with their free trial periods. For me anyway, using a Boxee Box (nothing else - I watch TV on my TV ), unblock-us worked better. With unotelly, I could not access shows like Law & Order: SVU, NCIS, and a few others. Netflix worked fine (I tried both Canada and US, not the other countries). Other than the thing about the TV shows, the service worked without a hiccup. In the end I just went with unblock-us since it did everything I wanted without any hassle, but really the best thing is to take advantage of the fact that they both offer a free trial and see which one suits you best.

JoePro
join:2006-11-01
canada

JoePro to johnkim

to johnkim
I've tried unblock but has decided to use SmartDNS from overplay.net instead. No issues whatsoever.
scorpido
Premium Member
join:2009-11-02
Abbotsford, BC

scorpido

Premium Member

We use unotelly for our whole network. It works great and never had any issues. I would recommend them for sure.

I_H8_Spam
join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam to johnkim

to johnkim
Not to hijack this thread, but I've run into a problem with Unotelly and the PS3.

There was a Netflix update this weekend for the app, downloaded and launched into Canadian mode (start dns). Loaded a show from the Canadian library.

Restarted the PS3, swapped back to Unotelly on the US settings. Bam nothing couldn't load any content.

Swapped to the Brazil, UK, Ireland, Sweden - all no problem and could watch what I wanted from the Brazil library but one of the wife's shows is only on the US section.

Now to make it more puzzling, fire up the laptop and US service works fine.

Am I missing a setting somewhere? I'm Unotelly free for the moment testing the service.
MichelR
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

said by I_H8_Spam:

Not to hijack this thread, but I've run into a problem with Unotelly and the PS3.

There was a Netflix update this weekend for the app, downloaded and launched into Canadian mode (start dns). Loaded a show from the Canadian library.

Restarted the PS3, swapped back to Unotelly on the US settings. Bam nothing couldn't load any content.

Swapped to the Brazil, UK, Ireland, Sweden - all no problem and could watch what I wanted from the Brazil library but one of the wife's shows is only on the US section.

Now to make it more puzzling, fire up the laptop and US service works fine.

Am I missing a setting somewhere? I'm Unotelly free for the moment testing the service.

I seem to have a similar problem using Unblock-us on a Boxee Box since yesterday. If I have the unblock-us DNS settings up, I can no longer access Netflix Canada, but I can access Netflix US. If I switch back to my normal DNS settings, then I can access Netflix Canada.
DSMdude
Kitchener, ON

DSMdude

There may be a slight Netflix outage. I'm also running into this issue sporadically so I went to downrightnow.com and they said as much. Logged a support ticket with unotelly anyway just in case that is the root cause

I_H8_Spam
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

Looks like it may be a wider problem with the DNS bypass, Unblock-us and Unotelly both have threads going.

I'm seeing Error: N8106-154-5059

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

xsbell

said by I_H8_Spam:

Looks like it may be a wider problem with the DNS bypass, Unblock-us and Unotelly both have threads going.

I'm seeing Error: N8106-154-5059

I had this issue yesterday, and just now.. so I went into Authorized Networks and made sure my network was activated and my IP was correct. Everything was correct but I had the wrong network enabled. I activated it, restarted my browser, and no more error (N8106-154-5059).

I_H8_Spam
St Catharines, ON

I_H8_Spam

I've checked to ensure the Dyanmo is set for Sony=USA, then for Netflix I've selected USA. On the computer I see the message "It looks like your traveling" The PS3 is displaying the library but US content is not playing.
DSMdude
Kitchener, ON

DSMdude

Having the same issue. My PCs play the content fine but on my Xbox and LG TV, I get intermittent errors that "This title is not available in this area" type message. Intermittent in that if I select the "Other episodes" option of a particular television title, they'll start playing. Doesnt work for movies but if I keep trying, it will play eventually.

My Ipad which is set to the Dynamo UK, plays no problem. Since Un-block us is having similar issues, Im wondering if Netflix is trying to block this type of access.
MichelR
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

Sounds like it, but they're doing it wrong: I can't access Netflix Canada when using the unblock-us DNS, but I can access Netflix U.S. You'd think that's what they'd try to prevent.

Still the same problem last night.

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

xsbell to DSMdude

to DSMdude
said by DSMdude:

Having the same issue. My PCs play the content fine but on my Xbox and LG TV, I get intermittent errors that "This title is not available in this area" type message. Intermittent in that if I select the "Other episodes" option of a particular television title, they'll start playing. Doesnt work for movies but if I keep trying, it will play eventually.

My Ipad which is set to the Dynamo UK, plays no problem. Since Un-block us is having similar issues, Im wondering if Netflix is trying to block this type of access.

I just checked my Samsung TV and I'm getting the same thing, but it will eventually stream if you keeping trying to play it. No issues on PCs and laptops though. Weird.
DSMdude
Kitchener, ON

DSMdude

Still happening today - Unotelly got back to me and said it was most likely the US Netflix as the root cause which I tend to believe since »downrightnow.com/netflix listed Netflix as having intermittent issues and still does as of writing this

JoePro
join:2006-11-01
canada

JoePro

Hmmm, this is interesting. I use netflix on my PS3 and haven't had any issues. However, my netflix player did not update last night and hasn't done so in a long time.

My PS3/netflix accounts are US based. I use SmartDNS.

The search feature is very limited in the US netflix app, compared to the canadian one
TerriRiver
join:2012-09-04
Montreal, QC

TerriRiver to unotelly0

to unotelly0
I tried both Unblockus and UnoTelly free trials. Both worked well during trial period. I signed up with Unblockus for a month, during the month there were a couple of days they were having trouble with Amazon Instant Videos so I didn't renew the next month and have been using UnoTelly in the last few weeks. A couple of times I couldn't access CWTV videos (still going on right now) - the first time it resolved itself after half a day but this time it hasn't yet (since 3am this morning, now it's almost 2:30pm) and I have yet to receive a support reply on my ticket. A couple of times I couldn't load Amazon homepage either but that got resolved (the first time after a few hours and another time after a day). Not sure what the real problem was - the explanations I got was that the servers were updating or that there was ISP issue with one of their servers (however I tried all servers in North America and their Germany and Ireland servers, same thing, Amazon homepage not loading). I think UnoTelly tries to figure out the problems you may be having but their response time is a bit slower than Unblockus and sometimes it takes them a bit longer to fix the issues however just to be fair, it did take Unblockus a couple of days to fix Amazon Prime video problems. I think both services are equal in the sense that they do their best to fix the problem when it arise and the technology itself is not perfect at the moment. Unblockus is simpler to pay for as it's one rate monthly while UnoTelly has three different packages which could be a bit confusing. One thing though is that UnoTelly gives a free package which includes a few channels that are well worth trying out. The ultimate decision is to figure out which service works the best for you. I'm going to try Unblockus again for another month. My thinking is not to sign up (UnoTelly has the pre-paid annual option, Unblockus is only monthly) for more than a month at a time so you won't be "stuck" with a service that may not work well for you even though you may save a few dollars in a year.
pmcdunnough
join:2012-02-03

pmcdunnough to johnkim

to johnkim
I have been with unblock-us for ages. It has been great. Unfortunately my Bell Sagecom modem starting losing sync every day and that resulted in PPPoE exiting and returning yet another ip. Unblock-us requires that you visit their site with a browser to upgrade your ip, etc... On the other hand UnoTelly had an api which allowed from a cron job in osx or a task in Windows to handle this at predefined intervals of time. Far more convenient to me so I switched to UnoTelly, but still have an account with unblock-us ( was on a year contract). UnoTelly has been great. As good, and in my case better, than unblock-us. They also allow for a yearly billing which unblock-us no longer does. Both are good services. There are others as well.

philip
Scooby Doo
join:2012-12-30

Scooby Doo

UnoDNS/UnoTelly has been working great on PC / ipad /ipod and PS3 (to US), Sony TV (to AU) and PS3 (to UK). No issues to date - excellent service.

patinfo
@autodata.net

patinfo

Anon

I am on trial with unblock-us on my samsung blu-ray player for Netflix and plan to use for Roku in few days. Will Unotelly also support these devices?
Beni
join:2013-01-16

Beni

Yes!.. UnoTelly supports already both Samsung Blu-Ray and Roku, among a wide of other devices such as, Smart TV´s & Blu-Ray Players: Dynex, Panasonic, Samsung, Sony & Toshiba, tv boxes: WD TV Live, Roku, Boxee Box, Apple TV, etc.. Consoles: XBOX360, PS3, Wii and Wii U.. and will work with the newest from Microsoft and Sony aswell.

About the quality, I cant say I have used others, but my cousin is using Unblock-US and are having problems now and then... he is going to move to UnoTelly soon, because of that, and because he knows I never have any problem, and Im even more hard users than he is :P

I use UnoTelly and Im very happy.. it does all I need it to do, and even more! and the price is cheap! (if not the cheapest!), love watching different Netflix (from different countries), as Im spanish, and in Norway there is not 1 movie in spanish, but I connect to US, or Mexico (and cant wait till Spain gets Netflix!)

Why not test UnoTelly for 8 days, after your trial with unblock-us, and then when youre done, you decide? that would be pretty much the fairest solution.

eweazel
join:2008-12-09
Etobicoke, ON

eweazel

I have been using unblock us for a year now, havent had a problem. Unotelly does intrigue me. I have the dns config on my router and get the U.S. Shows and Netflix but I do have a question, how do you change your netflix country from say u.s. To canadian. I am always on the U.S. One.

This is for both unotelly and unblock us. I access it through my boxee box.
jonase
join:2010-12-15

jonase to johnkim

to johnkim
Also using UnoTelly, has been rock solid so far.

rosenqui
Premium Member
join:2004-05-28
Kanata, ON

rosenqui to eweazel

Premium Member

to eweazel
said by eweazel:

... I do have a question, how do you change your netflix country from say u.s. To canadian. I am always on the U.S. One.

For Unblock US you sign in and go to the "How to setup" page. There is a drop-down showing all of the possible Netflix regions.

»support.unblock-us.com/c ··· n-picker