mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

mromero to Cheese

Premium Member

to Cheese

Re: Galaxy S3

Currently using AOKP which is pretty damn stable to me, only difference to me is the battery life, sucks compared to stock.

I have also heard the latest CyanogenMod 10 nightly is wicked stable and fast. But you might want to wait until M2 instead of a nightly.
mromero

mromero

Premium Member

***taps fingers*** come on hurry up with build 5 of AOKP....

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

****taps fingers**** hurry up on official TW JB.

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium Member
join:2001-08-02
La Porte, IN

ztmike

Premium Member

said by AVD:

****taps fingers**** hurry up on official TW JB.

Touchwiz is down right ugly. I installed Cyanogemod 10 (Android Jellybean) and its so much nicer looking and a noticeable improvement in smoothness but battery life doesn't seem to be the hottest.. but I am using a nightly build as that's all that's available from CM 10 atm.

The one thing I was shocked on was that Samsung built the S3 with no ability to move apps to the external SD card..so now I'm stuck with as lousy 16GB version and already down to mid 8GB of free storage available while I still have 29GB on my external SD.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

It's questionable if this was Samsung or Google. I've heard that developers were complaining to Google about allowing apps to be moved as they were then easier to pirate.

My thought was if it was Samsung that storing apps on the SD card might break OTG ability of the phone.

But I'm also assuming that you have pretty much installed most of the apps you are going to use. How many is that, 50 or 60? You can still double the number of apps you have right now. I's guess a person could install somewhere around 150-200 apps on 16GB. I think at 150 apps, a person is probably not using them all anyway.

Everything else can be stored on the external card.

mromero
Premium Member
Fullerton, CA

mromero

Premium Member

today I installed CyanogenMod 10 Nightly w/ Lean Kernel. Lean Kernel seems to help with the battery a ton.

ztmike
Mark for moderation
Premium Member
join:2001-08-02
La Porte, IN

1 edit

ztmike to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope
said by tcope:

It's questionable if this was Samsung or Google. I've heard that developers were complaining to Google about allowing apps to be moved as they were then easier to pirate.

My thought was if it was Samsung that storing apps on the SD card might break OTG ability of the phone.

But I'm also assuming that you have pretty much installed most of the apps you are going to use. How many is that, 50 or 60? You can still double the number of apps you have right now. I's guess a person could install somewhere around 150-200 apps on 16GB. I think at 150 apps, a person is probably not using them all anyway.

Everything else can be stored on the external card.

Actually I'm no where near 50-60 apps if I had to guess it would be less than 20..not even sure where all the space is going I use my 50gb free box cloud storage account to backup straight from titanium pro app and save most of the other backed up stuff to my external SD.

That HTC One X+ that was announced for AT&T is looking mighty fine right now with I believe a standard 64GB of on board space.

Eh..I stand corrected..the One X+ comes with 32GB and 64GB and only 1GB RAM..

»www.gsmarena.com/htc_one ··· 4976.php

mromero
Premium Member
Fullerton, CA

mromero

Premium Member

one thing that I've noticed about touchwiz is it cant handle very long/complex wifi passwords. AOKP and CyanogenMod no problem what so ever.

Steimes
I make internets
Premium Member
join:2002-01-08
Belle Vernon, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Steimes

Premium Member

said by mromero:

one thing that I've noticed about touchwiz is it cant handle very long/complex wifi passwords. AOKP and CyanogenMod no problem what so ever.

Really? I have not had a problem with my stock AT&T model. I had at least a 64 character password the other day.

mromero
Premium Member
Fullerton, CA

mromero

Premium Member

yep for example

r:5-}:LUKRG:\BoT|snNXG]iiU~c@}nH3%p,pUUJ}uU2tLJ_GaMH%f74qYUO

will not save in touchwiz stock on my GS3.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

said by mromero:

yep for example

r:5-}

Or on anything else...

Steimes
I make internets
Premium Member
Belle Vernon, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Steimes

Premium Member

said by bobjohnson:

said by mromero:

yep for example

r:5-}

Or on anything else...

It must have something to do with the characters in that password... good to know it causes problems though. The 64 character password I was using was just alphanumeric.

mromero
Premium Member
Fullerton, CA

mromero to bobjohnson

Premium Member

to bobjohnson
my wifi password has those types of symbols and it works with AOKP. I use this to generate the passwords ....
»www.grc.com/passwords.htm
mromero

mromero

Premium Member

bunch of horse shit!

»www.theverge.com/2012/10 ··· g-months

glad I rooted and flashed the unlocked bootloader

Steimes
I make internets
Premium Member
Belle Vernon, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Steimes

Premium Member

This is the major flaw with Android in general. The software needs customized for each phone, then each launcher needs updated, then the carries dictate it further by adding and optimizing the bloatware. Almost six months after the release of it, how many phones are actually running it officially on US carriers?

I was content waiting for the official release, but it is getting silly now. I was talking to a friend asking if he was excited for JellyBean on his device, he has no idea what I was talking about though... even though he is pretty tech literate. Maybe the carriers know it is not that big of a selling point to have the latest version?

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

android is open for carriers, not users.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

No, Android is open for users as well... that is, if you are willing to take the plunge and get into the whole root and ROM scene. Which I have and I'll say that it's great being able to run any distro of Android I can get my hands on.

mromero
Premium Member
Fullerton, CA

mromero

Premium Member

Key Lime Pie will be out by the time Samsung releases Jelly Bean at this rate.

Post Op
Premium Member
join:2001-11-06
inside out

Post Op

Premium Member

I don't know if it's Samsung or the individual carriers that are responsible for getting out OTA updates at a snail's pace. It took forever for frozen yogurt and gingerbread for my epic 4g and there will be no more official updates which is why I rooted and installed CM9 Ice cream sandwich. If you want the latest on a Samsung product you'll have to go to xda developers and root and custom ROM your S3.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

Not only that, but RootzWiki too. That's another place for Android modders.

mromero
Premium Member
Fullerton, CA

mromero

Premium Member

forgot to mention that I ended up buying a Monoprice battery for my S3. Not bad for the price.

BKayrac
Premium Member
join:2001-09-29

BKayrac to Post Op

Premium Member

to Post Op
said by Post Op:

I don't know if it's Samsung or the individual carriers that are responsible for getting out OTA updates at a snail's pace. It took forever for frozen yogurt and gingerbread for my epic 4g and there will be no more official updates which is why I rooted and installed CM9 Ice cream sandwich. If you want the latest on a Samsung product you'll have to go to xda developers and root and custom ROM your S3.

for most phones, first it goes through the phone maker.....for instance the galaxy s3........samsung needs to create the build for jellybean..........after that is done(which takes a while), it is then passed onto the carriers.......the carriers then need to do their tests, and trials, and modify anything they need/want to..........after that, it is then approved for OTA

which is why i have a galaxy nexus..............google announces update..........google decides to push update.........my phone receives update......no middle man

mromero
Premium Member
Fullerton, CA

mromero

Premium Member

new AOKP build 5 is up
New features:
Custom NavBar for Tablets
NavBar widgets are back from ICS
Highly customizable Lockscreen Ring targets, with a shiny new editor in ROMControl! (also thanks to CM for the base of the framework part)
Alternate default app picker (like in GB)
Menu UI Overflow Toggle
Option to disable vibration for Notification expansion
RAM Bar in the Recents panel
Timeout and instant lock options for Slide lock
VPN Traffic amount in human readable format

i really like some of the new features...

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

do the latest non-TW roms have two microphones working in call and do they support LTE?

mromero
Premium Member
Fullerton, CA

mromero

Premium Member

lte works

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

good to know

gjrhine
join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine to BKayrac

to BKayrac
said by BKayrac:

for most phones, first it goes through the phone maker.....for instance the galaxy s3........samsung needs to create the build for jellybean..........after that is done(which takes a while), it is then passed onto the carriers.......the carriers then need to do their tests, and trials, and modify anything they need/want to..........after that, it is then approved for OTA

which is why i have a galaxy nexus..............google announces update..........google decides to push update.........my phone receives update......no middle man

.....Lose the.........freakin.....annoying.......................dots..............