Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
kudos:2

$660 Dollars Return Airfare To Florida For 3 People

I just heard from someone that he wanted to fly out of Pearson Airport to Florida with his son and wife and got quoted $2,450 dollars for return trip. He was then led by someone else to try "Niagara International Airport" and that there were small carriers with good deals there. He phoned them and they told him "$660 dollars" so he accepted and was happy because it was cheaper than the $816 (per person) Air Canada wanted.

He was beyond shocked when he found out that the $660 were for all 3 of them. He didn't believed it until het got the tickets in his hands. He left the car at the airport for 1 week ($35) and flew to Florida.

But.....

He only got a coffee and 1 cookie, no lunch no alcoholic drinks, nothing else. The plane was also a turbo-prop that felt as if he was flying in a Cessna.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
I'll call horsepucks on that one. That story is so full of holes its middle name must be Emmental.

Because:

1) turboprops are short-haul, not long-haul, aircraft
2) you don't call an airport and get magically booked on flights; you call an airline or a travel agent
3) the only two airlines listed for the airport are Spirit and Allegiant, who fly Airbus 319/320/321s, Boeing/MD MD-8x models, and Boeing 757s. No turboprops.

Troll failure.
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
reply to Xstar_Lumini
That sounds normal? I'm guessing you're not referring to any kind of first class service and I haven't had a meal on a regular class flight since the 80's.

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
reply to Kardinal
Do you think Toronto to Newfoundland is "short-haul"? It's the same distance to Florida almost and Porter Airlines does it in turbo-prop airplanes.

I never said he called the airport, I said someone told him to try Niagara International Airport for cheap fleets

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
said by Xstar_Lumini:

Do you think Toronto to Newfoundland is "short-haul"? It's the same distance to Florida almost and Porter Airlines does it in turbo-prop airplanes.

Oh no they don't. Porter will fly from Toronto to Ottawa, Ottawa to Halifax, Halifax to St. John's to get you to the rock. Each leg of that journey can be done on a turbo prop. So yes, it's true you can fly Toronto to St. John's on Porter Air. Yes it's true you will get there on a turbo prop. However, it's three separate turbo prop planes you're travelling on.
--
I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to. I guess.

»shaner38.blogspot.com/

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
said by shaner:

said by Xstar_Lumini:

Oh no they don't. Porter will fly from Toronto to Ottawa, Ottawa to Halifax, Halifax to St. John's to get you to the rock. Each leg of that journey can be done on a turbo prop. So yes, it's true you can fly Toronto to St. John's on Porter Air. Yes it's true you will get there on a turbo prop. However, it's three separate turbo prop planes you're travelling on.

Well, it's one technically one flight, but with two stops. Most of the time the flight continues on so passengers continuing on don't get off the plane.

I remember a year or two ago, I flew YTZ-YOW on Porter after a school break. The entire plane was full of Dalhousie students - on a completely sold out flight, only two of us got off at YOW - the rest stayed onboard for the Halifax leg.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
Messed up.

YTZ to YOW, YOW to YHZ and YHZ to YYT.
less then 600 return, but it's 6hrs of travel time.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Xstar_Lumini
All of florida is easily within the range of the Bombardier Q400 turboprop from either Niagara or Toronto, with hundreds of kilometres to spare. That aircraft has a range of 2522 kilometres, most of Florida is well under 2000 from Toronto or Niagara.

Every single non-seasonal flight out of Niagara Falls International Airport (IAG) is to Florida. That part checks out. However, Spirit Airlines and Allegiant Air are the only two airlines flying out of that airport, and neither airline has any turboprop aircraft in their fleet. That part is a complete fabrication.

As for the price, a per-person price of $220 from IAG to somewhere in Florida, that's true. Spirit charges $144 round trip to fly from Niagara Falls to Fort Lauderdale. It's a ~3 hour flight.

Conclusion: $660 for a flight from Niagara to Florida is not only believable, it's higher than the pricing I found. Every part of the story is possible except the turboprop part. That would be possible if any of the possible airlines used them, because this is a 1,900 KM flight and the Q400 has a range of 2,522 KM.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

jaberi

join:2010-08-13
if it is a charter flight it will cheaper....

Last Parade

join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON
reply to Xstar_Lumini
is that Buffalo Niagara International Airport or Niagara Falls International Airport?

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Kardinal
said by Kardinal:

As much as the troll has failed, it's worth noting that a Q400 can make it from Toronto to Orlando. It just makes much more sense to pack more people onto a plane and fly a 737/A32x or 767/A330.

But you're right, Q400s don't fly out of Niagara Falls International. They fly out of Buffalo Niagara International (along with the older 200s, which I am going to be on this January on a leg to Cleveland) all the time, though.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
Geez!

Having one airport called [Buffalo Niagara International Airport] and the other called [Niagara Falls International Airport] confusing as hell.

Note that the OP said "Niagara International Airport" which could have meant EITHER of those.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

As for the price, a per-person price of $220 from IAG to somewhere in Florida, that's true. Spirit charges $144 round trip to fly from Niagara Falls to Fort Lauderdale. It's a ~3 hour flight.

Tickets purchased a few months in advance, easily $96 for a redeye flight with a few 15 minute stopovers or if purchased a couple weeks in advance, $170 per person.

The last time I flew into Miami my ticket was $48.

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON
reply to PX Eliezer70
said by PX Eliezer70:

Geez!

Having one airport called [Buffalo Niagara International Airport] and the other called [Niagara Falls International Airport] confusing as hell.

Note that the OP said "Niagara International Airport" which could have meant EITHER of those.

Both BNIA and NFIA airports have equally good deals to Florida if you look hard enough in advance. Also the exorbitant fares out of Toronto are nothing new.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to Xstar_Lumini
Why do people bother replying to Alien Latino's threads?

Ironmike

join:2009-02-18
Brantford, ON
reply to Xstar_Lumini
A friend booked return flights for the end of October from Niagara Falls (not Buffalo) to Orlando and back. He paid a total of about $550 including taxes for 2 adults and 2 kid.

Allegiant and Spirit Air have some great pricing.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to Kardinal
said by Kardinal:

....That story is so full of holes - its middle name must be Emmental....

Emmental ?

PLEASE don't insult one of my favourite cheeses !

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
reply to Guspaz
Right..just checked it out, so I might actually book a flight to go see the Jays in spring training...just under $200 round trip.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Messed up.

YTZ to YOW, YOW to YHZ and YHZ to YYT.
less then 600 return, but it's 6hrs of travel time.

You have to remember that Porter isn't only targeting Toronto with these flights. They have lots of originating traffic out of YOW to the east coast. It's essentially a second hub for them.

Kardinal
Dei Gratia Regina
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

said by Kardinal:

As much as the troll has failed, it's worth noting that a Q400 can make it from Toronto to Orlando. It just makes much more sense to pack more people onto a plane and fly a 737/A32x or 767/A330.

Exactly right. I didn't say a turboprop couldn't do it, I said they aren't used for long haul flights. It would be like using an Embraer 140 or a Canadair CRJ for a long flight -- they can make it, but their smaller capacity makes it unlikely they'd be used.

....and while a Q400 could make it to Florida, earlier Dash-8 models, along with other turboprops used in North America like a Saab 340, a Beech 1900D, or an EMB-120, don't have the range to make it.
--
All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars

- Peart / Lifeson / Lee
Join Team Helix

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
For that same trip in January I am scheduled to take an Embraer 140 from Newark to Buffalo on the return flight. I was surprised by that, as I figured it would have been something larger if coming from the NYC area.

For what it's worth, from Cleveland to LV is a 737, and from LV to Newark is also a 737. When my Grandmother went to Florida about a decade ago they used a 757 from Pearson to Orlando, but in this day and age you need to be a clown to fly out of Pearson to anywhere in the US.