spc
Search similar:

uniqs

DougFromLI
@74.88.2.x

DougFromLI

Anon

[OOL] OOL/Hostway DDNS Application Yields Run-time Error 13

I am a long-time user of Optimum Boost. I run Hostway's local Advanced Configuration DDNS app, which until yesterday, has been running flawlessly. After a reboot of my machine (hadn't done in about 7-10 days) yesterday, when DDNS app attempts to start I get an application error of:

"The server returned an error. Please try again."

After clicking OK on the error box, DDNS starts up, but fails to login. I am getting a status of "Offline" and an IP address of "N/A", instead of the IP address that is typically assigned to me.

When I right-mouse click to "go Online", I then get a "run-time Error 13 - Type Mismatch" error box pop-up, and then the application totally craps out on me.

This just started happening yesterday, after many years of flawless execution. I am running a Windows 2000 Workstation SP4 box for some technical reasons.

Additionally, on their web portal I am getting a status of "offline" (probably because I cannot log in), and when I attempt to restart the client from the portal, I am unable to.

Anyone having these problems of late or has anyone seen this issue in the past ?

TIA.
goldensam
join:1999-08-20
Oceanside, NY

goldensam

Hi Doug,

Had some issues earlier today with the app, but was also having OOL issues as well for the last two days. Bad upload and packet loss.

Anyway, I noticed the right click stopped working after I rebooted everything -(switches, router, modem). I ended up using task manager to end task and relaunched manually.

I just rebooted (since I had not and you mentioned you did) and the app is working perfectly without intervention. I have it on a Windows 2003 32bit server in a VM.

Hope that helps...

DougFromLI
@optonline.net

DougFromLI

Anon

Thanks, Sam. I don't think that is my issue. It seems as though I am connected and getting website hits/Email, despite the fact that the portal has me "offline" and my DDNS app is offline.

The problem is that my Windows 2000 SP4 box can no longer negotiate a login with the OOL/Hostway server. It connects, but these errors are yielded after the connection consummates apparently. I duplicated this problem on another Windows 2000 SP4 box, BTW. And, when I run DDNS from an XP box on my network, all works perfectly, as it had been.

I am convinced that this is a Windows 2000 login negotiation issue with the OOL/Hostway server. My guess is that something changed on their servers (perhaps an OS upgrade) that has now caused this incompatability. Hostway has denied that anything changed, and are telling me that Windows 2000 is no longer supported, even though this DDNS app (V1.1.0) which was written in 2006, is stated on the Optonline website to support OS versions dating back to Windows 98.

This is frustrating, but due to some custom apps that I have that only run on a Windows 2000 environment, I cannot upgrade the OS for my designated web server box.

If anyone has any additional suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks.
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007 to DougFromLI

Premium Member

to DougFromLI
Try running Windows 2000 under VM?

DougFromLI
@optonline.net

DougFromLI

Anon

Joe, thanks, an interesting idea, but a lot of work installing VMWare and then layering Windows 2000 on top of that, and hoping to get everything else in my environment to work.

Keep the ideas coming!
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

said by DougFromLI :

Joe, thanks, an interesting idea, but a lot of work installing VMWare and then layering Windows 2000 on top of that, and hoping to get everything else in my environment to work.

Keep the ideas coming!

If your computer is not too old it should not be too much hassle, plus W2K is not really resource intensive. Several hours at most for OS setup and VMWare or Virtual PC take no time at all to setup.

DougFromLI
@optonline.net

DougFromLI

Anon

Joe, it's a great idea to try, but I am not at liberty to be re-installing W2K and re-installing all apps again. I have lots of custom registry entries for many of these apps too. I have backup copy of my server on another machine by virtue of a Norton backup image. I don't think there is any way that I could copy a W2K image on top of VMWare or Virtual PC. I'd be forced to effectively do a re-install of everything on top of VMWare or VPC. Kinda of a non-starter for me, but thanks for an excellent suggestion.
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

said by DougFromLI :

Joe, it's a great idea to try, but I am not at liberty to be re-installing W2K and re-installing all apps again. I have lots of custom registry entries for many of these apps too. I have backup copy of my server on another machine by virtue of a Norton backup image. I don't think there is any way that I could copy a W2K image on top of VMWare or Virtual PC. I'd be forced to effectively do a re-install of everything on top of VMWare or VPC. Kinda of a non-starter for me, but thanks for an excellent suggestion.

I am fairly positive you should be able to back it up and restore to VM. I just don't recall what software to use. Best to post this in Microsoft software forum if you want to pursue this further.
goldensam
join:1999-08-20
Oceanside, NY

goldensam

»www.vmware.com/go/getconverter

Works and is free...

Still, I really doubt the OS has anything to do with the problem. I'll bet you have a disk or memory issue.. If the box is as old as the OS, that could be the problem.

Try at least running a scandisk and uninstall of the app and reinstall.

Failing that, run the app on the XP box you mentioned.... Same thing if it's on the same network!!

Mark

Tursiops_G
Technoid
MVM
join:2002-02-06
Brooksville, FL
ARRIS TM1602

Tursiops_G

MVM

Same exact problem here...
Windows 2000 box (older Dual-P3 1GHz CPU Motherboard), dedicated to running just BOINC and the DDNS app...

No problems with the hardware itself... (If there was, I'd think that BOINC would be throwing errors as well).

Windows XP isn't an option on this ancient hardware, so if the Hostway DDNS app is indeed no longer supported under Win2K, then I suppose going to some flavor of Linux (Ubuntu?) would be the only viable solution...

DougFromLI
@optonline.net

DougFromLI

Anon

Hi guys, thanks for all the suggestions. VMWare sounds intriguing, but no guarantee that it will fix problem - it actually probably will not, and not looking to test to see if my W2K "image" backup would be able to layer on top of it.

It is definitely an OS issue. I have a 2nd box which I hadn't turned on in a month, running Windows 2000 SP4 - and it's a different H/W platform from my other box - and the same problem is being exhibited. I believe that they must have made a change on the Hostway login servers that is causing a W2K 2000 Login protocol issue - hence, the "Runtime 13" error. This change happened in the last 7-10 days or so, and "glad" to see that another W2K user is seeing the same thing.

Although a work-around and not a direct solving of the problem, I think Sam's idea is great. Run DDNS app on an XP computer on my network, and just make sure that my port 80 (webserver) gets diverted to my W2K box via port routing (which it is set up to do currently anyway). Well, I tried a quick test of this this morning, and voila!, it works. I never would have thought of that. The only drawbacks to this are:

1) It doesn't solve actually problem
2) I need to keep XP box on at all times now (LIPA's gain, LOL)
DougFromLI
join:2012-10-06
Miller Place, NY

DougFromLI

Further to last post, I did try to uninstall/reinstall DDNS app on the effected boxes, and this didn't resolve the problem at all.

The DDNS app V1.1.0 (their latest & greatest) hasn't changed since 2006, and it supported 98/Me/2000 at the time of software issuance.

Tursiops, if you have another box on your network running XP (or later), Sam's suggestion will work well. The DDNS memory footprint is only about 9,500K. I still have a case open with Hostway (Case # 15618341), and will still hound them for a solution. Perhaps you can call them and reference this Case #. Power in numbers.