openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

to CXM_Splicer

Re: Cmon

said by CXM_Splicer:

I agree that it is harder to replace workers in proportion to their skill level but there is simply no point along that line where a company will go from treating them like a commodity to a business partner.

Commodity may be a bit strong of a term, but I agree, most businesses probably aren't going to elevate most of their employees to the status of "business partner".
said by CXM_Splicer:

If there was a person seen as that valuable... they would be promoted and no longer be a worker.

Truly valuable people are eventually promoted or they take their value elsewhere. Should it not be the aspirations of valuable people to continue bettering themselves? Isn't that what the "American Dream" is all about?
said by CXM_Splicer:

Corporations (Verizon at least) don't operate like that anymore, they aren't interested in promoting replaceable commodities.

Supervisors and managers have to come from somewhere. They aren't all going to be 22 year old (M)BA fresh out of college.
said by CXM_Splicer:

I disagree that the tax rate is 'insane' to bring the money back. They considerany taxes insane and many companies end up with refunds rather than contributing anything from their domestic profits... but then, you know all this.

I do. I'm sure you've read my posts suggesting that corporations shouldn't pay income taxes, but that's a different discussion. Regarding bringing the money home that's sitting overseas, as a business, would you leave money that you earned elsewhere (and has already been taxed) overseas to conduct overseas business operations, or would you bring it home and pay up to 40% on the money to tax authorities?
said by CXM_Splicer:

I don't foresee business suddenly deciding to do what's best for the economy and reversing this behavior.

Likely not unless it advances the business' self interests.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

1 edit

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Yes, it is a strong term but it is not mine. I took it from a discussion with skeechan who insists that labor should be viewed as a commodity. I do agree that corporate America (well, Wall St specifically) sees labor in that light but IMO that is part of the problem... not the way it should be.

Promotions at Verizon used to be from the field but, ironically, it very often ended up being people that didn't have sufficient skills to be comfortable in the field. 'Truly Valuable' is of course subjective but I think you would agree that skilled workers are not worthless simply because they are not promoted to higher levels. The fact (at Verizon at least) is that no one aspires to enter management anymore because they are treated so poorly... I heard there was another round of management layoffs just announced. I don't even know if the path to 'promotion' still exists for us workers.

I am sure you know, or could guess, that my opinion on corporate taxation is completely opposite of yours... I think we should return to pre-Regan tax rates for corporations and the upper class. Large corporations and their highly successful owners, have profited nicely from our system and it is only right that they should help maintain it. If a company has legitimate operations overseas and wants to keep profits where they were made to pay for operations... that is understandable. When they set up fictitious operations overseas and show profits in those entities because they share your view that they should not have to pay income tax then I think we have a major problem. Someone can set up theirr own such company here:

»www.taxhavens.biz/

Illegal, you say? Well with a few layers of removal and the secrecy of the offshore banks, you can easily avoid detection or prosecution.

More on topic though, what is your opinion on the declining state of labor in the country? As unemployment (and the population) increases and business has even more leverage to lower salaries, where to you see that trend taking us? Or, even more important then how you or I see it, is this something that business should consider past their own short term interests?
« CWAI have an idea.. »
This is a sub-selection from Cmon