Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

[FireFox] Mozilla support pages and Plugin container?

I created a new Profile for Fx 10 ESR. If I try to access Mozilla help page while in Options, Process Guard pops up with Fx Plugin Container wanting to start. I deny Plugin Container as the ONLY plugin I have (Microsoft garbage is disabled) is Flash and I don't need Flash on Mozilla support pages!

So, after I deny Plugin container from starting one of two things happens. Firefox crashes and shows several instances of itself running in task manager and not all instances crash. Fx doesn't have that horrible crap where each tab is contained separately in its own sandbox so why it showing more than one instance in task manager and why don't all instances crash? I have to kill the others in Task Manager before I can restart Fx.

If the above doesn't happen, when I deny Plugin container from running on Mozilla support pages, it takes FOREVER for the support page to load. When it loads without Flash it is a perfectly NORMAL page and nowhere is there any indication that Flash is needed.

On my two other Profiles that are quite old, when I use one of them, and I deny Plugin Container from running Fx doesn't crash and the Mozilla support pages open quickly. So, why is it different on this new profile? I know to NEVER EVER crfeate a new profile unless you ABSOLUTELY MUST but this is ridiculous that a new profile is this bad. I had something even WORSE happen on this new profile just now for which I will start a new thread in Security forum. It appears to me that Mozilla is tampering with Fx 10 ESR and lying about it. There should ONLY be security updates to ver 10....but Mozilla is not honoring that it looks to me. I do not think I would have this last thing occur if I was on one of my other two profiles but a new profile somehow allows Mozilla to fuck with my version 10 ESR in ways I resent highly.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
I couldn't view that link on Fx 10 as Plugin Container does NOT need to start for that support page. I have ONE plugin ...flash player (Microsoft plugins are disabled and would be removed if that could be done). There is no Flash on that support page. With my other two profiles, I tell ProcessGuard to deny Plugin Container the right to start. Everything is fine and I can access the support page.

On this new profile, I tell ProcessGuard to block Plugin Container from starting when I try to go to Mozilla support page and that causes Fx to freeze. Sometimes, it eventually unfreezes itself and the Mozilla support page loads very slowly and with a pale gray font instead of a black one. Other times, like just now, Fx remains frozen and I have to kill the process.

After that, I had no choice but to return to my Host machine and use Fx 4 to view that support page. Plugin Container has no reason to start on Mozilla support pages. I hate Plugin container. We had a big discussion about it in Fx newsgroup recently. No one wants that thing! It eats up all your RAM, tries to start when not needed and doesn't close when it should. I don't care if Fx crashes if flash crashes. I'll take a Fx crash any day over that horrible plugin container trying to start and eat up RAM for no reason.

But what I really like to know is why is this new profile so different behaving than my older two? I set up Options the same, I could have missed something in About:config, I suppose as I can't easily see what config changes I have made. I don't have them show up in bold. ALL config items are bolded on my Fx 10 but not on Fx 4 but even on Fx 4 my changes are not bolded...nothing is bolded in Fx 4 about:config and everything is bolded in Fx 10 about:config...so it is hard for me to find all my changes there in order to see if I have some changes in the other two profiles that are not in this new profile.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

MarkRH
Premium
join:2005-02-08
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to Mele20
I go to »support.mozilla.org/en-US/home with only the Flash plug-in enabled and the plugin-container.exe does not start. So, if Flash is your only enabled plug-in then it shouldn't start. Although, I am using FF 15.0.1 and I may not be going to the same URL you are.

jupitermoon

join:2011-09-27
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I could have missed something in About:config, I suppose as I can't easily see what config changes I have made. I don't have them show up in bold.

Go into about:config and click the Status column. That will sort all the entries so that the "user set" items are listed first. You may need to scroll back to the top to see them all. Of course, not all those user set entries will have been changed by you (some will have been changed by extensions, etc.), but in any case those are the bolded ones.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to MarkRH
said by MarkRH:

I go to »support.mozilla.org/en-US/home with only the Flash plug-in enabled and the plugin-container.exe does not start. So, if Flash is your only enabled plug-in then it shouldn't start. Although, I am using FF 15.0.1 and I may not be going to the same URL you are.

On that page you went to click on a link such as this link:
»support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fla···-firefox. Plugin Container wants to start. I don't allow it and it took 48 seconds for that page to then load at 1KB/sec. There is nothing in that article that requires Flash Player.
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to jupitermoon
If I ever knew, I forgot what "Status" column does. Thank you. I still have all of them bolded but at least the ones I changed and extensions changed are now it the top. I think they are all bolded because Fx 10 is honoring my settings in Advanced Display/Items. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that Menu in that list may control how about:config items display. I have Menu bolded.
--

MarkRH
Premium
join:2005-02-08
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

said by MarkRH:

On that page you went to click on a link such as this link:
»support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fla···-firefox. Plugin Container wants to start. I don't allow it and it took 48 seconds for that page to then load at 1KB/sec. There is nothing in that article that requires Flash Player.

Ok, that page does start the Plugin Container and the 2 Flash processes. Looks like one of the JavaScripts on that page is causing it because if I disable JavaScripts in Tools > Options > Content then the Plugin Container does not start with the Flash plug-in enabled. Perhaps it's gathering information about what plugins/versions are installed on your system (which would seem like a legitimate thing to do.)

If I enable or disable Flash the page loads quick. But, I'm not trying to block the Flash processes from starting either.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
Thanks for explaining what appears to be happening.

I disagree that it is acceptable for Mozilla to snoop on me just because I want to read a Mozilla support page. Unless I have called a support page that has to do with plugins Mozilla has no need to know what plugins I have. Plus, the proper thing would be for Mozilla to simply ask me what plugins I have not start Plugin container and two Flash Processes to check on my plugins. If Mozilla gave me a popup on the support page and said we need to know what plugins you have to help troubleshoot your problem...ok...except that is a generic support page NOT a mozilla help forum! There is NO REASON for Mozilla to try and start Plugin Container and Flash Player on those pages.

No wonder I have several versions of Fx, and a bunch of versions of Opera, and several versions of Sea Monkey, and even IE. I can always read the Mozilla support pages on Opera 10 or an early 11 version. No wonder that I always have at least two browsers running on the Host machine and usually have two or more runnng on a virtual machine and they are different versions from one machine to another.
--