how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

thinkpad

join:2000-07-26
Stamford, CT

1 edit

Has anyone else noticed Google loading slow?

Today (Oct. 4th) I noticed Google and most sites that use Google apps almost at a standstill. Is this a CT thing, a OOL thing, or a Google thing?

cablewizzard

join:2009-06-14
Hicksville, NY
kudos:1

Yes. Maps, Latitude, all slow. From my T-mobile 4G phone, too, with no difference between WIFI and 4G data.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to thinkpad

Click for full size
In the last couple of days Google have been experiencing problems.
However, I think tonight CV is also at fault. My SK reports are showing many failed website load requests.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

thinkpad

join:2000-07-26
Stamford, CT

The failed loads could be because of Google Adsense not loading so it locks the site from finishing loading

Coolguy2

@optonline.net

Cant watch anything on youtube now..I keep checking the cable modem lights to see if it is losing sync...very slow..
send help

max pl

join:2009-03-22
Hyde Park, NY
reply to thinkpad

yeh my gmail is down right now.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

2 edits

CV is looking into this currently.

edit: Google is looking into this too.

Jmartz

join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ
reply to thinkpad

Now that you point it out, I have noticed a bit of a lag today. I think it also affects sites that use google ads, such as broadbandreports. This site just completely stopped responding because it was waiting for "googleapis......" to load.

hagrin

join:2012-10-05

1 edit
reply to thinkpad

Woops, I posted as Anon - it's been a while since I posted here/worked at OOL.

Observed the problem since early this afternoon.
Affecting all Google properties - Google Voice web interface will error, Reader not loading full RSS objects, search interface with intermittent loading, etc.

Observed from 3 different cable modems, 1 home, 2 commercial all in Suffolk county.

Traceroutes in the last 15 minutes seem to be really erratic which means either someone is working on the problem currently or there's a routing/peering/DNS hijacking(?) problem.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to thinkpad

I too am seeing failed connects and long wait times for pages to load. Youtube very bad, live streams bad, and some web pages simply time out. My speed test on speed-test net shows a fast connection with low latency:

My line quality tests here at DSLR look good:

Line quality test

many many sites load half way, then stall, and after a long time come in. Others simply fail outright. Many come in fast as usual! I am seeing the same issues on my other Mac, and on my Linux Netbook.

It "feels" like a CableVision routing and/or packet-loss issue.

Bob
--
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people"

TamaraB
Premium
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to thinkpad

said by thinkpad:

The failed loads could be because of Google Adsense not loading so it locks the site from finishing loading

Is Google having network issues with adsense? Google is embedded in almost all web pages today.

Bob

DAOWAce

join:2006-10-25
Flanders, NJ
reply to TamaraB

said by TamaraB:

I too am seeing failed connects and long wait times for pages to load. Youtube very bad, live streams bad, and some web pages simply time out. My speed test on speed-test net shows a fast connection with low latency

many many sites load half way, then stall, and after a long time come in. Others simply fail outright.

I'm experiencing the same thing as well, but it's affecting seemingly every connection being made regardless of the host, unless Google has a part in everything, including online games!

Once the connection is initated though it seems to function just fine, ie. if the stream for a youtube video connects it downloads fast without breaking; same for speedtests.

I have a thread up on it here: »[OOL] Internet having issues after upgrading cable service

TamaraB
Premium
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

said by DAOWAce:

Once the connection is initated though it seems to function just fine, .......

Yes, once connected to a site, pages on that site load fast here too. On Youtube, I see spurts of data into the buffer, then a halt, then more.... on long videos, the playback catches up with the buffer, and the video stalls. Sometimes it picks up again in a bit, sometimes it's just lost.

Many sites like this one: »www.photographyblog.com/reviews/···_review/ load a blank page.

EDIT: I have seen this deteriorate over the past 2 or 3 days.

Bob
--
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people"

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ
reply to thinkpad

Cable Modem 4:36 AM Raritan System
Glad to see it wasn't just me, especially when I think my modem signal levels have some room for improvement.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to Coolguy2

I was also having Youtube problems last night.

BSB

@optonline.net
reply to thinkpad

I've been having download speed and google problems all day here in Milford. Rebooted my modem and router with no change in speed.
Here's my current (boost) speeds

anvilsname82

@optonline.net
reply to Coolguy2

If you are using Ad-Block for Firefox, try updating your filter subscription.

It seems to have worked for me.

hagrin

@optonline.net
reply to thinkpad

It's basically all Google properties being affected.

Google Groups, Google Voice ... you name it. I've seen it here since about the early afternoon on 3 different cable modems. We are not seeing it on the T1 connections we have for redundancy in our office.

Intermittent page loading, only the first "page" worth of Google Reader items - just your basic intermittent issue. Routes seem fine to me, don't think it is a peering issue.

Coolguy2

@optonline.net
reply to Coolguy2

And this problem seems to be creating an issue with my Macaffee....I have gotten 10 pop ups in the last hour saying "risky connection blocked"

One popup happend as a result of doing a tracert to google.

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY
reply to anvilsname82

said by anvilsname82 :

Snaokeoil recipe.
This affect my computers that do not have Firefox or use adblock functionality.
--

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
reply to thinkpad

I've noticed that last night, and this morning as well. On here, embedded YT vids aren't loading, or load very slowly.

Wchester2

@optonline.net
reply to thinkpad

Noticing the same thing in Westchester. Most Google sites are unusable. Problem's been going on since yesterday (10/4).

Surprised this problem isn't more widely reported.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7
reply to thinkpad

its an issue with google.
some of the multiple ip's that google.com resolves to randomly dont respond.

cabletecht

join:2012-06-08
reply to thinkpad

are you guys still experiencing the issue?

Rojo

join:2009-04-14
New York, NY
reply to thinkpad

??
Same problems as everyone. I thought it was the browsers.

Could this account for the crazy YouTube discrepancy on Adele's new song between the Views and the Votes?

root

join:2002-12-11

1 recommendation

said by Rojo:

Same problems as everyone. I thought it was the browsers.

Could this account for the crazy YouTube discrepancy on Adele's new song between the Views and the Votes?

YouTube has a policy that temporarily freezes view counts to verify there is no foul play.

»support.google.com/youtube/bin/a···r=175736

MxxCon

Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

reply to Rojo

said by Rojo:

No, it could not account for that.
Watch this video for an explanation of why it's stuck at 302(or times 301 or 300 or 305)

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIkhgagvrjI

--

DAOWAce

join:2006-10-25
Flanders, NJ
reply to thinkpad

Google's problems appear to be resolved.

And in turn, so do mine. »[OOL] Internet having issues after upgrading cable service

This was either a really strange coincidence or OOL had some issues as well.

hagrin

join:2012-10-05
reply to cabletecht

said by cabletecht:

are you guys still experiencing the issue?

Issue resolved as of early this morning. Thanks for looking into this.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to anvilsname82

said by anvilsname82 :

This post was made not too long after Google resolved the problem. Unless you had an adblock problem, the timing of the increase in speed was just a coincidence for you.