spc
Search similar:

uniqs
andranic
join:2002-07-20
Bayside, NY

andranic

[Northeast] Fios Upload speed drops after 7pm

I have been experiencing a strange issue since upgraded our package to 150/65. Nearly every night our upload speed drops to around 200kbps. If I do a speedtest No problems shows. The only time you notice is if you are uploaded to an FTP server , Youtube or when streaming video to services like Stickam , Ustream and Justin.tv

Anyone out there know what could be causing this. I have contacted verizon and they cant see anything thats wrong.

houkouonchi
join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA

houkouonchi

Youtube is not surprising in the east as Google has their transit to VZ over-saturated in that market (its fine here in the west coast).

As for FTP I would do a traceroute to the FTP server in question to see whats going on and compare during peak and non-peak hours.

I know I get crap speeds to my dad's house during peak hours because charter's connections to VZ are also saturated during peak hours; however I always get full speed to my colo'd server at all times of the day (same with download).

When I am getting slow speeds to charter latency is going from ~10ms to 100ms as during the alter.net -> charter exchange.
andranic
Bayside, NY

andranic

I guess I should wait to do the traceroute when the issue is happening..

The bizarre thing is that its effecting my upload speed to everything. Stickam, Ustream JTV and even skype but it does not show any issues when conducting a speedtest.
Morris0
join:2011-05-14

Morris0 to andranic

to andranic
Fine in NYC. Probably more local. Call it in
Bytezboy
join:2001-05-17
New York, NY

Bytezboy to andranic

to andranic
Very fast uploads to youtube here in NYC.
ScrawnyB
join:2004-05-18
Mechanicsburg, PA

ScrawnyB to andranic

to andranic
I agree with doing some traceroutes and speedtests when it occurs. Make sure you do this to a few of the sites affected.

Also just a thought, speedtest clients are multi-threaded, which (in this context) means they use multiple network streams to achieve maximum upload. So perhaps that's something to keep in mind moving forward, since you claim that its showing full speeds on the speedtest, but not on a single stream upload to websites.
andranic
Bayside, NY

andranic

I ran a Traceroute last night when the problem started ( Around 8pm) and it showed no issues. Last night my upload when down to around 200kbps and no one can find where the issue is coming from. The only thing I can think of is possibly the ONT is acting funky
ScrawnyB
Mechanicsburg, PA

ScrawnyB

Just curious, what sites are you speedtesting against, just some of the speedtest.net locations and/or the Verizon speedtest?
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane to andranic

to andranic
Can you post your traceroute that you got during peak hours when the slowdowns are occurring? I bet it still offers some insight into where the congestion is most likely occurring.
andranic
Bayside, NY

andranic

Im running the speedtest from Speedtest.net. The other thing we have tried is having someone FTP download a few files from me. they are only able to download 200kbps. I have tried a traceroute and the only thing i noticed is that on the 6th hop it around 250ms. I informed verizon and they told me the first 4 hops are Verizon anything else wouldnt be a verizon issue.
andranic

andranic

Just an update to the issue:

I spoke to verizon and they dont seem to think there is a problem. Regardless of what they are saying we are experiencing the issue on both our verizon fios lines. one is a 25/25 and the other is 150/65. After around 6pm ET any data being uploaded via FTP HTTP and RTMP are severely throttled. Traceroutes and speed tests dont show any issues.

The problem started around 6 weeks ago
ScrawnyB
Mechanicsburg, PA

ScrawnyB

Just curious, have you rebooted the router when this slowdown occurs?

Also maybe a better question to ask first: what is your networking configuration like? Are you using the Actiontec router as the primary, or a secondary router or a bridge?
Bytezboy
join:2001-05-17
New York, NY

Bytezboy to andranic

to andranic
Disable QOS, it could cause slow uploads.
andranic
Bayside, NY

andranic to ScrawnyB

to ScrawnyB
The Actiontec is the primary router. Whats baffling to me is the fact that this is effect both Fios lines coming into the house they are on separate circuits.
ScrawnyB
Mechanicsburg, PA

ScrawnyB

Two things:

#1. I noticed there is something goofy going on with Actiontec router (I'm using it only for the MoCA to Ethernet bridge), but after a few days, the upload capability across the switch dies until I reboot; this may or may not be an equipment issue to look out for. That's why I asked about rebooting first. Downstream stays solid.

#2. I'm having the opposite problem as you, my latency and download speeds are totally bombing out around 6:50pm every night until around 11pm. This has been happening for ~10 days or so now, and seems to be an issue between Verizon and Level3. I have a post open in this forum too. I'm going to see if I can get in touch with Verizon to put in a trouble ticket to L3, but I think they're going to tell me to take a hike.
andranic
Bayside, NY

andranic

I have tried rebooting a few times and it really doesnt seem to make a difference. I will try again tonight when the issue starts up.

It has to be a verizon issue because it is happening on both Fios lines (Two Different Routers and ONTs)

Now my questions is why is my speed fine when I do a speedtest?
ScrawnyB
Mechanicsburg, PA

ScrawnyB

said by andranic:

Now my questions is why is my speed fine when I do a speedtest?

Because it depends on where you speedtest to, meaning location/route taken. If you are speedtesting to Verizon, you are most likely never exiting the Verizon network, which would indicate that you are having issues on routes external to Verizon's network, much like I am having issues with a Level 3 link in Washington, DC. My traffic elsewhere on L3 routes (thru NY, Chicago, Florida, VA, etc. are all fine).

If you want to test latency from different sites; you can do individual traceroutes from various Level 3 PoP's by using these sites:

»lg.level3.net/
and
»ipstats.globalcrossing.n ··· r2htrace

Also, latency in a link doesn't always mean a drop in bandwidth, nor vice-versa; however, it can be, under certain circumstances (eg. you saturate an upstream link, your latency will skyrocket, under most connection types)

If you don't already, I highly suggest that you add one (or both if you can) of your lines to the Line Monitoring that you can get on here (it's somehow free for Verizon people, not sure why):
Refer to this thread: »Verizon FiOS Line Monitors - Free

This might help us see the issue better after you monitor for a few days.

tmc6569
@verizon.net

tmc6569 to andranic

Anon

to andranic
I was experiencing this for several weeks as well, and all speed tests confirmed less than 1Mbps (25/25). After 2 Actiontec MI424WR replacements, ONT upgrade to latest version, and switch from Ethernet to MOCA, the problem remained.

The technician has only seen this problem 2 other times in the past and believed the problem was with my fiber circuit back in the CO. After reaching deep network support, they were able to reset my port in the "POND" card, and it's been blazing fast ever since.