join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

Packeteers to hchen42

Premium Member

to hchen42

Re: [TWC] TWC New York Modem Activation

wait, i need you guys to be clear on this...

so you give them the new MAC but you leave your old modem install.
then at some point over the next day(s) your modem will go dead.
that is when you plug in your own paid for modem and POOF it works.

am i getting the gist of it?

what worries me is;

1. what if your new modem is a brick - so now you gotta get your old MAC
working and another day goes or two goes by where you have no ISP at all.

2. how can they push out the latest firmware to your new owned modem
if it was not plugged in during the MAC switch over.

3. does it matter if you do this over a weekend or weekday?
I get my modem Friday evening - should I wait till Monday to call?
I figure the sooner after that post card went out the better.
hchen42
join:1999-12-23
New York, NY

hchen42

said by Packeteers:

wait, i need you guys to be clear on this...

so you give them the new MAC but you leave your old modem install.
then at some point over the next day(s) your modem will go dead.
that is when you plug in your own paid for modem and POOF it works.

am i getting the gist of it?

The support asked me for the HFC MAC ID (DO NOT GIVE the GATEWAY MGMT MAC ID). Just to be sure, I have SBG6580.

They asked for the maker (Motorola) and the model (SBG6580). That was it. If you read my original post, that's why it was frustrating as I was put on hold for so long. In reality, as of 2012, october 4, they are manually entering your MAC ID into their system. This seems to be the reason why it is taking so long. After you give them the information, you just need to til they call back. Originally they told me it was going to take a few business days. Well, within 24 hours, I was good to go.
said by Packeteers:

what worries me is;

1. what if your new modem is a brick - so now you gotta get your old MAC
working and another day goes or two goes by where you have no ISP at all.

2. how can they push out the latest firmware to your new owned modem
if it was not plugged in during the MAC switch over.

3. does it matter if you do this over a weekend or weekday?
I get my modem Friday evening - should I wait till Monday to call?
I figure the sooner after that post card went out the better.

You can check if your device is bricked by connecting to the cable. It'll show the channels that are available with a status denied to network. This should be proof that your device is not a brick. Also, I see two modems showing on "my service" page in my account right now. So if I wish to switch back, I am sure a simple call would suffice.

I do not know how they push out the latest firmware.

I don't think it matters. Since it seems the actual provision/activation is done by someone during the day time. At least for me it is. So the sooner you give them the information, the faster they'll provision it.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

My Motorola 6120 never did get its firmware updated on time warner. It still had like the first firmware comcast pushed, well over a year ago til I cancelled service.. Very old.

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

Packeteers to hchen42

Premium Member

to hchen42
said by hchen42:

you just need to til they call back.

sorry to press this point of this typo, but it's important for me since i'm on a magicjack phone...

so when they call you back - that's when the provision is complete and new modem's MAC active?
was the callback one of their automated recordings or a human being?

Straphanger
Express is Back
Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY

Straphanger to hchen42

Mod

to hchen42
I connected my SB6141 just to check if I could see what the status page says and I can't get into 192.168.100.1. Browsers just hang on it. All the status lights come up on the modem but the internet light flashes and it goes through the whole connection process again every 30 seconds or so.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

You may need to set a static IP in the 192.168.100.x network on whichever device is connected to the modem so your request can be routed properly. Some old SB modems had a built in DHCP server that would kick in when there was no Internet connection, but I'm not sure if the new ones have that.
hchen42
New York, NY

hchen42 to Packeteers

to Packeteers
said by Packeteers:

said by hchen42:

you just need to til they call back.

sorry to press this point of this typo, but it's important for me since i'm on a magicjack phone...

so when they call you back - that's when the provision is complete and new modem's MAC active?
was the callback one of their automated recordings or a human being?

When they called me , it was a live person. She asked me if I am home, and I told her no. She said the new modem has been activated. I just need to connect the modem once I get home.

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

2 edits

Packeteers

Premium Member

hchen - your elaboration was VERY helpful to me, thanks.

UPDATE and Clarifications:

I got my factory reconditioned SB5101U thanks to Amazon, and called into that 866 number to save me on prompts and teir-1 idiots. i got a human within 2 minutes who immediately knew what i wanted and what to do. after giving him the HFC MAC and my account number he entered it to be added to my account within the next 72 hours.

he said I would get a call once both my old and new modem was on the account. then during that call or during a call back i could give them the final permission to switch me over, and the actual change over takes minutes. he also said once the modem is active on TWC's system they will eventually automatically push out any new firmware updates it may lack. I hope this helps others in the same boat.

this is perfect for me stuck on VoIP as I can tell the changeover guy later if he does not see activity after 10 minutes to switch my MAC back so we can talk on the phone about it later, and if he does see activity I should be able to then call him back and say all is well and thank you.
hchen42
New York, NY

hchen42

Cool! Yeah, I really wished I have the 866 numbers beforehand. It would have saved me an hour of my life.

Just some more info... I logged into my account today and noticed a service appointment was scheduled on monday. I called and only to find out the "provision" lady scheduled the appointment to pick up the modem. I told TWC to cancel since I was going to drop off the modem. If I didn't log in, the TWC technician would have wasted a trip as I wouldn't be at my apt.

djdanska
Rudie32
Premium Member
join:2001-04-21
San Diego, CA

djdanska

Premium Member

said by hchen42:

Cool! Yeah, I really wished I have the 866 numbers beforehand. It would have saved me an hour of my life.

Just some more info... I logged into my account today and noticed a service appointment was scheduled on monday. I called and only to find out the "provision" lady scheduled the appointment to pick up the modem. I told TWC to cancel since I was going to drop off the modem. If I didn't log in, the TWC technician would have wasted a trip as I wouldn't be at my apt.

and knowing time warner, they would have charged you for missing the appointment! LoL

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

Packeteers

Premium Member

they scheduled a premise visit - how totally retarded.
the issue didn't come up when i called, i just assumed
they won't stop charging me $4 till I drop off their box.
I'll be sure to remind them of my drop off when they call
once the new modem's MAC is available for my account.

Straphanger
Express is Back
Mod
join:2001-12-08
Whitestone, NY

Straphanger

Mod

It is a bit dumb to automatically schedule someone for an appointment and not telling them about it...just for a modem pick up. I wouldn't mind it though...maybe I could force them to diagnose my wildly fluctuating signal levels.

Over 24 hours now and still no provision. Lets see if TWC even gets to me by tomorrow.