spc
uniqs
cablewizzard
join:2009-06-14
Woodbury, NY

cablewizzard to alpaca

to alpaca

Re: Internet having issues after upgrading cable service

I recall discussions about your service in a previous thread some months ago, and I remain at a loss here.

So:
- the loss of 7.5dB of signal IS suspicious, if you haven't changed any wiring off the pole lately, node balancing tends not to shift signals that much. The more important question: is that number stable or is it randomly jumping a 5-10 dBs from one hour/day to the next?
Let me repeat that: 0 dBmV RxPower is not perfect - it's only perfect if your house happens to be the ONE in the middle between the node and the farthest point on the strand. Only one house on an entire node can have +-0 dBmV - but you could always move your house around a bit if that's important to you

- how much uptime (days) did you have with the modem when you looked at the correcteds/uncorrecteds? It's really not that much, even with 48hrs of uptime. DS #5 with its uncorrectables is a bit of a worry - it could be the cause for RCS-Partial service (loss of 1 or more DS channels due to RF isssues), but compare that to my own (very very very trouble-free) : my worst DS channel has 15,000 uncorrectables - but for 120+ days of uptime.

- your log is going back rather far (8 months) - which is good: not a whole lot is happening with your modem. The number of T3 timeouts and DS sync-losses is absolutely minimal for that amount of time, and RCS-partial-service didn't occur that much either - but the web-UI version of the log doesn't show the repeat counter (that can be read via the SNMP MIB, but that's only accessible for D2 modems), so this verdict can't be final, only indicative.

- no need to exchange the TM802 for a TM822 : there's not enough to be gained - only the additional battery life.

So:
how often do you experience sluggishness with the connection (tested from wired, not wireless I'll assume?)? Or does it only occur shortly after the modem has booted, and goes away?
Do the RF values change while you're having troubles?

There's not a whole lot to go by here, and the logs have probably told me already more than CV's service rep and regular (non-OSP) techs will ever be able to turn up.

DAOWAce
join:2006-10-25
Flanders, NJ

1 edit

DAOWAce

said by cablewizzard:

- how much uptime (days) did you have with the modem when you looked at the correcteds/uncorrecteds?

Well looks like it's not channel 5!

Downstream 1 2 3839 341
Downstream 2 1 3661 196
Downstream 3 3 3927 1239
Downstream 4 4 3644 204
Downstream 5 5 4542 984

Initial report was after no more than an hour uptime. This report is after 10 hours, though the internet hasn't been used much at all in this time.

Before I rebooted it? I can't remember.
said by Bob4:

I can see where this is going. Maybe you should switch to Fios.

I'd have been using them 3+ years ago if they bothered to wire down my street. Yes, my STREET. It's on the main road no more than a 30 seconds walk from here. I have spoken with a FiOS engineer and they said to wire down my street it would have to come from a completely different feed and since Verizon stopped rolling out, I can't get the service. If only I could move a few houses away!
said by La Luna:

This wouldn't have anything to do with this »Has anyone else noticed Google loading slow? , would it?

Could be.. but in my case every single new connection is affected regardless of host.. unless everyone is using Google's apps! All internet based games I've attempted to load up have hung/timed-out as well.

Strangely, pinging google.com directly results in a 100% loss so far. Running a tracert shows 97% loss at the last hop after 100 packets sent.

Not sure it's relevant though, 'cause.. "Ping request could not find host microsoft.com. Please check the name and try again." The attempt after that found the host, but it appears they're ignoring ICMP packets. (adding www. fails as well)

Also gotten some packet loss at 67.83.249.137 (OOL). Nothing showing on my »/r3 ··· 2f039c86 though.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to cablewizzard

to cablewizzard
said by cablewizzard:

the loss of 7.5dB of signal IS suspicious, if you haven't changed any wiring off the pole lately, node balancing tends not to shift signals that much.

My received power went from +6.75 last night to -6.00 this morning. That's a drop of 12.75 dB overnight.

Last week it jumped by +8.5 dB. So that's from -2 to +7 to -6 dB all in a week.

Cablevision does mess with the power levels significantly. I wish they'd stop!
cablewizzard
join:2009-06-14
Woodbury, NY

cablewizzard

said by Bob4:

said by cablewizzard:

the loss of 7.5dB of signal IS suspicious, if you haven't changed any wiring off the pole lately, node balancing tends not to shift signals that much.

My received power went from +6.75 last night to -6.00 this morning. That's a drop of 12.75 dB overnight.

We're getting off-topic here, but swings of that magnitude strongly hint at a defective amp or other severe impairment. It seems too strong to be an issue merely at your drop. If you're experiencing *perceivable* problems (pixelation, voice breakup, Internet not working, modem rebooting, VOD controls not working), you should call this in.

Node balancing doesn't move signal up or down by more than a few dB (5), a node-split can move it more than that, but levels stay where they are afterwards.

Seasonal (temperature) variations can exceed 4dB between say: 30 and 90 degrees (F), depending on how much coax is between you and the node.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

1 edit

Bob4

said by cablewizzard:

We're getting off-topic here, but swings of that magnitude strongly hint at a defective amp or other severe impairment.

TV power levels did not change. Only the OOL levels. That's a pretty selective amp if it did it by itself.

TV power levels are around -15 to -22 dB.

I'm at least 600 feet from the node.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

nm.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

said by Bob4:

Power dropped to -7 even though it's relatively cold outside, and the errors are higher than they used to be.

frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

If you have any visible issue with your service (probably QOS related - pixelation, intermittent black screen, loss of audio on phone, slow speeds on OOL, dropped OOL/OV), I'd contact CV. They probably wouldn't change the levels on the CMTS more than twice (a temporary adjustment, and then back), and then adjusting the levels between the node & head end, so I would say your issue is almost definitely something in the field or at the home, and not a person making adjustments. If it's fluctuating that often and you see any issue, there's a problem.

You should reset the counters and see what sort of rate the errors are coming in at (or, write down the base numbers and refresh periodically, but that's more work).

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

4 edits

EliteData

Premium Member

frdrizzt See Profile,

its my understanding the CMTS unit CV is using "instructs" subscriber modems what US RF power level to operate at, hence why a duplex amplifier installed at the subscribers home where the US RF level is normal, will always provide inaccurate out of specification US RF levels on the diagnostic page of the subscribers modem/cable box.
so, if the US RF level is within spec (without a duplex amp) but the DS RF is out of spec, theres obviously an issue at the CMTS.
additionally, if the CMTS is receiving more than a fixed % of subs reporting "poor signal received", the CMTS will "up" is outgoing RF level by fixed increments until it is "satisfied".