spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

eviljafar

join:2007-04-10
Montreal, QC

[General] VoIP for a friend, will OBi202 do it all?

I've been using VoIP for a while now and me and my trusty SPA-3000 go back many years. I have a friend that is thinking about switching to VoIP who wants me to help and I'm a bit out of the loop, so in the true spirit of IT support I am turning to the interwebs. The features my friend could use are:

- Registration to 3 VSPs.
- Inbound calls via any of the VSPs.
- Outbound calls via any of the VSPs, using dial plans not override codes.

Not essential, but a system with two handsets capable of doing all the above would be great.

This is only for home use so a PBX is overkill, although a hosted PBX could be OK. I am familiar with SIPSorcery.

WAF is definitely a priority here.

Will the OBi202 do all of this on its own? Any other suggestions?

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH
kudos:1
There's been a share of complaints about the 202 lately... I think the firmware hasn't been mastered yet.

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:6
said by VexorgTR:

There's been a share of complaints about the 202 lately... I think the firmware hasn't been mastered yet.

Serious?
--
Wondering what I do? Find out at »www.digitalcon.ca
Get your Obihai ATA in Canada.

hardly
Premium
join:2004-02-10
USA
said by Trev:

Serious?

Serious FUD

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_unce···nd_doubt

edit: If all else fails, follow the directions.

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH
reply to Trev
Yeah... there's been a few threads about it being a headache.

»Totally spent: Is the OBi202 a buggy POS?

That one comes to mind. There's more on here....

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
said by VexorgTR:

Most of the comment in that thread is [favorable], even from the OP.

eviljafar

Montreal, QC
reply to eviljafar
Thanks everyone for the replies, but ... um ... can anyone reply to the details of my post?

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
I'd consider IP phones, one of the newer Gigaset models should fulfill the criteria that you listed.

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
Victoria, BC
I've been using a Gigaset C610A-IP as my primary home phone for a while. It will do everything needed.

The OBi202 is also an excellent choice if you want to use your existing phones, and have a lot more flexibility for dial plan customization.

I would recommend both; depending if you want a full inclusive (hardware) setup or just an ATA.
--

WhyADuck
Premium
join:2003-03-05
reply to eviljafar
- Registration to 3 VSPs.
The OBi202 will register with up to four.

- Inbound calls via any of the VSPs.
Yes.

- Outbound calls via any of the VSPs, using dial plans not override codes.
Yes, but you may need to ask for help in Obihai's forum (or maybe here) to figure out how to do it, unless you can figure it out by reading the Obihai device administration guide (available on their web site). Modifying the dial plan is not quite as simple as on one of the older Sipura devices, but that's in part because you have considerably more flexibility.

- Not essential, but a system with two handsets capable of doing all the above would be great.
The OBi202 has two phone ports, so you can plug in two phones, or a two line phone, if that's your desire.

- Will the OBi202 do all of this on its own?
Yes, unless perhaps you have additional criteria that you haven't mentioned. Your biggest hurdle will be figuring out how to configure the dial plan so that you don't have to use prefix codes to select your VSP. It's not THAT difficult, but if you've never done it before you may want to ask for help, unless you are the type that can figure such things out just by reading the manual.

WhyADuck
Premium
join:2003-03-05

1 recommendation

reply to VexorgTR
said by VexorgTR:

That one comes to mind. There's more on here....

Sorry, but I'm going to call b.s. on this claim unless you actually post links to threads where people are complaining about the OBi202. Yes, there was the ONE thread, but if you actually read that thread most of the comments were either positive or neutral, and even your comment tended toward the positive. And that's despite the fact that people are much more likely to post if they are having a problem than if their device is trouble-free. I'm not saying that nobody has ever had problems with an Obihai device, but is there any device out there that's 100% trouble free?

I've used Cisco, Sipura, Linksys, and Obihai ATA's at various times in the last decade (as well as a repurposed Packet8 device about which the less is said, the better) and in my opinion the Obihai devices beat them all in terns of call quality and working in difficult environments, such as on a relatively crappy DSL service. That's just one opinion, of course, but I think if you look around the forums you'll see that there are far more people who seem to feel as I do than those who've had issues with Obihai devices.

And granted, as an Obihai user there may be a bit of "pride of ownership" inspiring my response (so maybe I respond the way someone else might if you attacked their chosen brand of automobile or motorcycle) but I really do consider Obihai devices a big improvement over similar devices I've used in the past.

biomesh
Premium
join:2006-07-08
Tomball, TX
reply to eviljafar
I would have to agree that the Obi202 can do this. I have been using the Obi110 and Obi202 devices since each were released and have zero issues related to the firmware (user config error is another matter). My obis have been better performers than any previous generation ATA.

The dial plans are not too complicated and are very flexible. I would suggest looking at the Admin guide if you want to do some advanced config. The forums can also be of help.

hszeto

join:2002-06-05
reply to eviljafar
said by eviljafar:

Will the OBi202 do all of this on its own? Any other suggestions?

Yes and I recommend it!

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to eviljafar
I'd like to clarify about outbound calls:

As other has mentioned OBi 202 has 2 phone ports. I have this phone (or maybe previous older model but it looks just like this one):

»telephones.att.com/att/index.cfm···ctID=225

I have Provider1 and Provider 2 setup. Phone (port labeled LINE 1/2 on the phone) is connected to Phone port #1 on OBi. When I press "Line1" button on the phone I am using Provider1. When I press "Line2" Provider2 is used. Similarly Provider3 can be used via OBi port Phone2/Phone Line 3

eviljafar

Montreal, QC
Now you mention it I have a question. If there are two regular phones plugged in, one in each port, can either phone be used for any provider with the dial plan working it out?

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
Victoria, BC
said by eviljafar:

Now you mention it I have a question. If there are two regular phones plugged in, one in each port, can either phone be used for any provider with the dial plan working it out?

You bet!
--

eviljafar

Montreal, QC
Is it possible to make two calls using the same account with the same provider at the same time? I suspect it is not going to work with Callcentric, but would work with voip.ms with a sub-account.

Is it possible to receive two calls to the same DiD at the same time?

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2
Actually, if you have 2 callcentric accounts, it will. It will even send a call from one to the other at the sametime.