uniqs
share rss forum feed

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to trparky

Re: [WIN7] Recommended SSD System Tweaks?

The SSD drive should not store data that changes a lot. So i would think it would be a good idea to more your TEMP directorys to a fixed drive, and the swap file also.

Any other directory that will change a lot because the SSD has a limited number of writes before it will start failing. This should take years before that happens but in the case of the temp internet files, every page you go to creates files, and at some point it has to delete files to be able to add files and this just repeats at some point for every page you go to unless you use something like cccleaner to delete then and start over but that should not be done either on the SSD.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2

said by mmainprize:

The SSD drive should not store data that changes a lot. So i would think it would be a good idea to more your TEMP directorys to a fixed drive, and the swap file also.

Any other directory that will change a lot because the SSD has a limited number of writes before it will start failing. This should take years before that happens but in the case of the temp internet files, every page you go to creates files, and at some point it has to delete files to be able to add files and this just repeats at some point for every page you go to unless you use something like cccleaner to delete then and start over but that should not be done either on the SSD.

Then what point is an SSD? I suggest that consumers buy the largest they can afford (prices are approaching $1/Gb) and go from there. I have temp files and a large swap file on my SSD without any problem (mind you, it's an Intel). My own preference is for Intel drives.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH
reply to mmainprize

Generally speaking, even remotely modern SSD's have lifespans that will outlast your need and system.

I installed a 60GB OCZ Solid 3 last October in my laptop as the main drive and so far SSDLife has been reporting estimated EOL at around October 2021. And this is with just a stock Win7 configuration. Page and hibernate files on the SSD, temp files, etc..

Larger drives should have an even lesser impact and greater lifespan given how TRIM and Win7 manage the drive
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz