uniqs
share rss forum feed

drjim
Premium,MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3

Satellite Operation Onboard USS IOWA For JOTA on 20 October

I'll be operating a satellite station onboard the USS IOWA in San Pedro, California for the Jamboree On The Air event.

We'll also have TWO HF stations, one is K6B that the Scouts are manning, and the other one will be NI6BB, the callsign of the Battleship Iowa Amateur Radio Association, BIARA.

We'll be operational from 1700 UTC until 2300 UTC, Saturday, October 20th.

Hope to work some of you!

73, Jim
--
One man's Magic is another man's Engineering.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

Good Luck, Dr Jim! That sounds like a lot of fun!

Wish I had the gear to try to talk to you!

drjim
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA

There's going to be two other stations, both running on HF.

NI6BB is the group I'm in, and the Scouts are going to be running either K6B, or N6B, I forget.

We received permission to stage our gear Friday night, so it should be MUCH less stressful than trying to do EVERYTHING on Saturday morning!
--

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
reply to drjim

By Scouts I assume Boy Scouts?

That's actually how I got introduced to ham radio waaaaay back in the day. Was at a big Scout thing. Dunno if it was a Jamboree or what.

drjim
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA

Yep, Boy Scouts of America.

"JOTA" stands for "Jamboree On The Air", and is a yearly event the BSA sponsors.
--

b_p_smith

join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON
Reviews:
·RipNet

Teensy clarification: JOTA is actually a WOSM (World Association of Scouting Movements) event. See »www.scout.org/en/information_eve···nts/jota for more info. This is actually the 55th year of JOTA and still hugely popular with the youngun's.

I introduced the local scout troop to JOTA about 10 years ago, and even though I'm no longer directly involved, the entire troop still goes to the Science & Technology Museum in Ottawa to work the VE3JW station there, usually on Saturday morning. That station generally has bad luck with westerly contacts, but I'll mention the IOWA regardless.

Brad
VE3BSM
--
Xplornet WiMAX -} Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH running DD-WRT -} about 13 machines running everything you can think of.

drjim
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA

Yes, you are correct.

I'm just so used to working with the local Scouting groups I forget it's a world-wide association.

Thanks for the plug!
--

Patrickh60

@protectall.com
reply to drjim

Sir,

Is anyone operating on Sunday? Changed our den meeting from Monday to Sunday - had the dates wrong. Don't think the Cub's parents will tolerate another date cahnge.

drjim
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA

No, sorry. All the planning for operation on the Iowa is pretty much carved in stone. It's Saturday only, for four hours.
--

aSic
application specific
Premium
join:2001-05-17
Wakulla, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast

drjim See Profile, Any particular bands you will be concentrating on? I am supposed to be attending a wedding that evening (my own! gasp!) but would like to try to pick y'all out of the noise before I am forced to go get noisy elsewhere.
--
Teamwork is a lot of people doing what I say.

drjim
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA

I'm going to be operating the satellite station, but the HF guys will be trying to stick to the 'recommended' JOTA frequencies.

»www.scouting.org/jota.aspx
--