spc
uniqs
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER to silbaco

to silbaco

Re: Mediacom Disconnects and Bans Alleged Internet Pirates

DMCA law states you cannot SHARE a file downloading is not sharing uploading is. Its really a whole mess I sort of like the 6 strikes idea myself.

random tech
@mchsi.com

random tech

Anon

It is illegal to download anything if you do not have the permission of the copyright holder.

ltsnow
Premium Member
join:2006-04-08
Valdosta, GA

ltsnow

Premium Member

said by random tech :

It is illegal to download anything if you do not have the permission of the copyright holder.

Since so much of the material on YouTube is copyrighted how is one supposed to know if the copyright holder is allowing it to stay up or if they just haven't found it yet?
jpatton
join:2010-04-07
Madison, WI

jpatton to random tech

to random tech
said by random tech :

That's absurd. Before I go to a website (Google, DSL Reports, etc.) or click on any link, I need to have permission first? Because my browser is going to automatically download the html, images, javascript, flash, etc. on the page linked to or the binary file linked to. Putting the onus on downloaders to get permission before they download anything is flat-out absurd.

I think copyright holders should be fairly compensated. But you have to go after the people who are putting copyrighted material for free download or on illegal markets. Unless you're ok with ISPs, the RIAA, the MPAA, and all such stakeholders having open access to your web browsing habits and being able to pick-and-choose which sites you go to, and to intervene if you happen to click on a link to something you "don't have permission to download". I'm not ok with that.
Pringlescan
join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA

Pringlescan

said by ltsnow:

said by random tech :

Since so much of the material on YouTube is copyrighted how is one supposed to know if the copyright holder is allowing it to stay up or if they just haven't found it yet?

They just haven't found it yet. Every so often you can find a fan made video that has the music removed due to this.
said by jpatton:

said by random tech :

That's absurd. Before I go to a website (Google, DSL Reports, etc.) or click on any link, I need to have permission first? Because my browser is going to automatically download the html, images, javascript, flash, etc. on the page linked to or the binary file linked to. Putting the onus on downloaders to get permission before they download anything is flat-out absurd.

I think copyright holders should be fairly compensated. But you have to go after the people who are putting copyrighted material for free download or on illegal markets. Unless you're ok with ISPs, the RIAA, the MPAA, and all such stakeholders having open access to your web browsing habits and being able to pick-and-choose which sites you go to, and to intervene if you happen to click on a link to something you "don't have permission to download". I'm not ok with that.

It's not really that. It's for digital media like movies, music, apps. Html, images(unless copy written by the artist), javascript, flash aren't included.
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER to random tech

to random tech
said by random tech :

True and Not True.. This is the area that the law needs to be rewritten.

It still stands that mediacrap is protected by Online Copyright Infringement Liability Limitation Act (OCILLA). So as long as they pass the dmca notices down to the users there is no reason to use this 3 strikes crap.

StupidPeople
@mchsi.com

StupidPeople to random tech

Anon

to random tech
Literally ANYTHING you download holds other people;s copyright information. A picture has a car that is not yours in it. Any logo that comes across your computer is "owned" by someone else... ANY IMAGE AT ALL!!!

So... You have to have permission to look at ANYTHING on the internet and you have to know what it is you are ABOUT to look at BEFORE you look at it to know weather or not to look at it...

That's INSANE!!!

GeorgeOrwell
@mchsi.com

GeorgeOrwell

Anon

By the way, if you just read my last post, _I_ wrote that and did NOT give you specific permission to download that text and read it...

CONGRATULATIONS!!
YOU ARE NOW GUILTY OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT!!

LOL!

6 times and no internet for LIFE...

Yes, it's that easy... And think about that fact the next time you hit "REPLY" to someone's email and COPY or FORWARD their technically "COPYRIGHTED" text WITHOUT permission...
karrun
join:2011-03-03

karrun

It's only 3 times with Mediacom. I hate this "guilty until proven innocent" stance with Mediacom. My neighbor, who wouldn't even know how to illegally download, was banned for life after 3 strikes. We're pretty sure who did the downloading (neighbor boys) but no way to prove it. The first time was her "fault" in that she didn't secure her router. The second time I think she used a weak password. Then she paid BB big bucks to install a secure router and she was again hacked after several months. Mediacom would not even consider reinstating her. In fact, they invited her to sign up again after several months, but it was apparently a mistake because they disconnected her after she called up for technical help soon after. Where we are Mediacom is a monopoly. THere should be some other sort of punishment other than this banned for life crap. Maybe a required course on securing your router or copyright infringement.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

said by karrun:

It's only 3 times with Mediacom. I hate this "guilty until proven innocent" stance with Mediacom. My neighbor, who wouldn't even know how to illegally download, was banned for life after 3 strikes. We're pretty sure who did the downloading (neighbor boys) but no way to prove it. The first time was her "fault" in that she didn't secure her router. The second time I think she used a weak password. Then she paid BB big bucks to install a secure router and she was again hacked after several months. Mediacom would not even consider reinstating her. In fact, they invited her to sign up again after several months, but it was apparently a mistake because they disconnected her after she called up for technical help soon after. Where we are Mediacom is a monopoly. THere should be some other sort of punishment other than this banned for life crap. Maybe a required course on securing your router or copyright infringement.

You don't have any DSL service in the area?

Maybe Mediacom will adopt a 6 strikes policy after other providers test it out. But that would probably not do anything for the people already banned.
karrun
join:2011-03-03

karrun

No DSL. Only other option is satellite, which is expensive as hell and, so slow you can't even think about streaming Netflix.
I still think reasonable internet access is a right and Mediacom is denying this right without due process.