Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to cablewizzard

Re: Internet having issues after upgrading cable service

said by cablewizzard:

the loss of 7.5dB of signal IS suspicious, if you haven't changed any wiring off the pole lately, node balancing tends not to shift signals that much.

My received power went from +6.75 last night to -6.00 this morning. That's a drop of 12.75 dB overnight.

Last week it jumped by +8.5 dB. So that's from -2 to +7 to -6 dB all in a week.

Cablevision does mess with the power levels significantly. I wish they'd stop!

cablewizzard

join:2009-06-14
Hicksville, NY
kudos:1
said by Bob4:

said by cablewizzard:

the loss of 7.5dB of signal IS suspicious, if you haven't changed any wiring off the pole lately, node balancing tends not to shift signals that much.

My received power went from +6.75 last night to -6.00 this morning. That's a drop of 12.75 dB overnight.

We're getting off-topic here, but swings of that magnitude strongly hint at a defective amp or other severe impairment. It seems too strong to be an issue merely at your drop. If you're experiencing *perceivable* problems (pixelation, voice breakup, Internet not working, modem rebooting, VOD controls not working), you should call this in.

Node balancing doesn't move signal up or down by more than a few dB (5), a node-split can move it more than that, but levels stay where they are afterwards.

Seasonal (temperature) variations can exceed 4dB between say: 30 and 90 degrees (F), depending on how much coax is between you and the node.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit
said by cablewizzard:

We're getting off-topic here, but swings of that magnitude strongly hint at a defective amp or other severe impairment.

TV power levels did not change. Only the OOL levels. That's a pretty selective amp if it did it by itself.

TV power levels are around -15 to -22 dB.

I'm at least 600 feet from the node.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
nm.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

Power dropped to -7 even though it's relatively cold outside, and the errors are higher than they used to be.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
If you have any visible issue with your service (probably QOS related - pixelation, intermittent black screen, loss of audio on phone, slow speeds on OOL, dropped OOL/OV), I'd contact CV. They probably wouldn't change the levels on the CMTS more than twice (a temporary adjustment, and then back), and then adjusting the levels between the node & head end, so I would say your issue is almost definitely something in the field or at the home, and not a person making adjustments. If it's fluctuating that often and you see any issue, there's a problem.

You should reset the counters and see what sort of rate the errors are coming in at (or, write down the base numbers and refresh periodically, but that's more work).

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7

4 edits
frdrizzt See Profile,

its my understanding the CMTS unit CV is using "instructs" subscriber modems what US RF power level to operate at, hence why a duplex amplifier installed at the subscribers home where the US RF level is normal, will always provide inaccurate out of specification US RF levels on the diagnostic page of the subscribers modem/cable box.
so, if the US RF level is within spec (without a duplex amp) but the DS RF is out of spec, theres obviously an issue at the CMTS.
additionally, if the CMTS is receiving more than a fixed % of subs reporting "poor signal received", the CMTS will "up" is outgoing RF level by fixed increments until it is "satisfied".

--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata