share rss forum feed

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
reply to dave

Re: [WIN7] Recommended SSD System Tweaks?

So do I even need a page file for a system that has 8 or 12 GBs of RAM?

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

said by trparky:

Yes, but move it to a mechanical drive, not the SSD. You most likely will not use the page file, but running without a page file can also cause issues. An alternative would be to have a small 1024 MB page file on the SSD. I recommend against using hibernation also as it will use the same size on the SSD as you have in RAM.
--
Want the shirt? - »www.despair.com/thedestructor.html
Not afiliated or making any profit from sales

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH

said by Kilroy:

said by trparky:

An alternative would be to have a small 1024 MB page file on the SSD. I recommend against using hibernation also as it will use the same size on the SSD as you have in RAM.

These are the only changes I would really recommend due to space concerns and what size SSD you have/plan to get. Reduce PF size to something reasonable. More than likely you will never need to use it or if you do, it will be minimal. Hibernate, as noted, will use close to or the same amount of RAM you have in the system (I have always assumed and read it was equal to the total RAM but have noticed on a few 7 systems that it is a bit less for some unknown reason. One in particular has 2GB but the hiberfile size is aroun ~1.7GB). -IF- you use hibernate, move it. If not, just disable hibernate altogether and the file will go away with it. In fact it would be my personal opinion to avoid hibernation on this machine anyways given how much RAM you have. It would likely take much longer to hibernate/resume even if the hiberfile is on the SSD, than to simply do a cold boot to begin with.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Should SuperFetch be enabled or disabled?

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH

1 recommendation

reply to trparky

said by trparky:

7 will pretty much handle this stuff automatically such as disabling automatic defrag on the disk, disabling superfetch, and other system services unnecessary on an ssd.

Just do a fresh install on the drive without going outside of 7's guided install process and do the prior mentioned pagefile and hibernation tweaks and you'll be fine. No need to overthink it.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

said by Vchat20:

said by trparky:

7 will pretty much handle this stuff automatically such as disabling automatic defrag on the disk, disabling superfetch, and other system services unnecessary on an ssd.

Just do a fresh install on the drive without going outside of 7's guided install process and do the prior mentioned pagefile and hibernation tweaks and you'll be fine. No need to overthink it.

+1
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

shearer
Northern Lights
Premium
join:2002-06-18
Asia
reply to Vchat20

said by Vchat20:

OK, but what if I'm restoring an image of Win7 (originating from mechanical HDD) to SSD? What other tweaks I need to make beside the following:

- drive alignment (if I want that extra non-perceptible boost in performance)
- disable superfetch, defrag, indexing
- move page file away
- TRIM (does win7 automatically enable it if it detects itself sitting on a SSD?)

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to trparky

said by trparky:

Depends what you're doing with it. I run 16GB with no pagefile, but I'm gonna have to turn that puppy back on when I start running my VMs again. If you're just surfing the web and checking your email, you're probably good without a pagefile even at 4GB.

Turn off hibernation, set the pagefile initial size to 0, max size to whatever (usually equal to the amount of RAM you have is a good policy, double your RAM if you have 4GB or less) and Windows won't page out unless it absolutely needs to. Disabling the pagefile altogether means a crash if you fill your RAM, setting it to a 0 initial size means it won't be used unless your RAM is literally full; giving it a nonzero initial size means Windows will page out enough data to fill that initial size as soon as there's enough disk idle time for it to do so without impacting performance. It does this and marks the paged out portion of RAM as disposable, so it knows it can just free that RAM without having to page it our first (since it's already written to disk), but if you never actually fill your RAM, you're using erase-write cycles on your SSD needlessly.

MrWhsprs
Premium
join:2000-04-22
Round Lake, IL
reply to Vchat20

said by Vchat20:

-IF- you use hibernate, move it.

Just a quick note that the hibernate file can't be moved. It's my understanding that the hibernate file will always be (and can only be) in the root of the system partition, where ntldr is located.
--
Mike

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Click for full size
High Interrupts
And the damn monster is back. ARG!!!!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to BronsCon

said by BronsCon:

said by trparky:

Depends what you're doing with it. I run 16GB with no pagefile, but I'm gonna have to turn that puppy back on when I start running my VMs again. If you're just surfing the web and checking your email, you're probably good without a pagefile even at 4GB.

Turn off hibernation, set the pagefile initial size to 0, max size to whatever (usually equal to the amount of RAM you have is a good policy, double your RAM if you have 4GB or less) and Windows won't page out unless it absolutely needs to. Disabling the pagefile altogether means a crash if you fill your RAM, setting it to a 0 initial size means it won't be used unless your RAM is literally full; giving it a nonzero initial size means Windows will page out enough data to fill that initial size as soon as there's enough disk idle time for it to do so without impacting performance. It does this and marks the paged out portion of RAM as disposable, so it knows it can just free that RAM without having to page it our first (since it's already written to disk), but if you never actually fill your RAM, you're using erase-write cycles on your SSD needlessly.

Actually ideal for the pagefile is set min and max to the same size so it doesn't re-size it

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA

You're thinking spinning disk, where there are performance implications to fragmentation. Taking that out of the equation changes the game; the ideal pagefile is the smallest one you can get away with at any given moment.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

said by BronsCon:

You're thinking spinning disk, where there are performance implications to fragmentation. Taking that out of the equation changes the game; the ideal pagefile is the smallest one you can get away with at any given moment.

Re-sizing is extra IO, though if you have enough ram then set a small page file, I have 24GB of ram so I set a tiny pagefile with same min/max size so its there but doesn't do anything.

If it has to change the file size that is more IO than if it just had to update the data of the file, so its still a good idea for a non-changing size. (though if you have enough memory to not need a pagefile then it's going to sit there empty and not have an effect anyway.)

and short of 2 programs I use nothing has come close to filing my ram and even those 2 haven't fully filled it.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
reply to trparky

Your screenshot shows count, not rate. A high count is not necessarily a problem.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

dave See Profile, what do you want to see? What graphs, data tables, etc. do you want to see?

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Click for full size
High Interrupts v2
Ok, here's a new graph.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM