uniqs
share rss forum feed

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH
reply to Kilroy

Re: [WIN7] Recommended SSD System Tweaks?

said by Kilroy:

said by trparky:

So do I even need a page file for a system that has 8 or 12 GBs of RAM?

An alternative would be to have a small 1024 MB page file on the SSD. I recommend against using hibernation also as it will use the same size on the SSD as you have in RAM.

These are the only changes I would really recommend due to space concerns and what size SSD you have/plan to get. Reduce PF size to something reasonable. More than likely you will never need to use it or if you do, it will be minimal. Hibernate, as noted, will use close to or the same amount of RAM you have in the system (I have always assumed and read it was equal to the total RAM but have noticed on a few 7 systems that it is a bit less for some unknown reason. One in particular has 2GB but the hiberfile size is aroun ~1.7GB). -IF- you use hibernate, move it. If not, just disable hibernate altogether and the file will go away with it. In fact it would be my personal opinion to avoid hibernation on this machine anyways given how much RAM you have. It would likely take much longer to hibernate/resume even if the hiberfile is on the SSD, than to simply do a cold boot to begin with.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

Should SuperFetch be enabled or disabled?

MrWhsprs
Premium
join:2000-04-22
Round Lake, IL
reply to Vchat20

said by Vchat20:

-IF- you use hibernate, move it.

Just a quick note that the hibernate file can't be moved. It's my understanding that the hibernate file will always be (and can only be) in the root of the system partition, where ntldr is located.
--
Mike

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Click for full size
High Interrupts
And the damn monster is back. ARG!!!!

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

Your screenshot shows count, not rate. A high count is not necessarily a problem.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

dave See Profile, what do you want to see? What graphs, data tables, etc. do you want to see?

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Click for full size
High Interrupts v2
Ok, here's a new graph.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM