All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
« 4GHuh? »
This is a sub-selection from I read this last night....

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Crookshanks

Re: I read this last night....

Except then they'll want to build a 5G network, and rip us off for that. It's a neverending cycle, and without some sort of regulation, it's only going to get worse unless the insatiable greed finally places all these companies outside what the market is willing to bear.

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

said by Os:

Except then they'll want to build a 5G network, and rip us off for that.

They'll want to? I think you have that backwards, consumers want better, faster, and more reliable data networks, otherwise there would be zero incentive for a carrier to spend billions of dollars building one.

Anyway, if you think you're being ripped off, that brings us to....

said by Os:

unless the insatiable greed finally places all these companies outside what the market is willing to bear.

Oh and:

said by Os:

and without some sort of regulation

What does regulation have to do with prices? The carriers charge what the market will bear. Judging by the fact that they keep adding new data consumers, I'd say they aren't ripping us off. Do tell though, what kinds of regulations do you want to see, and how do you believe they bring prices down without also discouraging investments in network expansion?

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

said by Crookshanks:

said by Os:

They'll want to? I think you have that backwards, consumers want better, faster, and more reliable data networks, otherwise there would be zero incentive for a carrier to spend billions of dollars building one.

Recent study concluded that the majority were, in fact, happy enough with 3G.

(No, not going to look it up. It was posted to the front-page news, here, I believe. Feel free to disbelieve it if you wish.)

said by Crookshanks:

...what kinds of regulations do you want to see, and how do you believe they bring prices down without also discouraging investments in network expansion?

Yeah, that was SBC's argument against giving CLECs access when they initially wanted to expand their DSL footprint.

We can see how that's worked-out, can't we? Now that they've got their footprint monopoly, they want to discard it and force consumers on to the wireless network for which they whine they need more bandwidth.

Jim

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to Crookshanks

They basically started with LTE faster than other countries because Verizon skipped the whole HSPA+ step and was still on slow EVDO, and AT&T doesn't know how to or doesn't want to put the effort in required to build a dense urban HSPA+ network like has been done in many other countries.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to Os

said by Os:

If you feel you are being ripped off then we use their services? Ok you tell us what is the appropriate pricing should be. And please tells us HOW you came to that. Hopefully you actually did some research and not just pull numbers out of your ass.

jseymour

join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

1 recommendation

said by 88615298:

said by Os:

If you feel you are being ripped off then [why] use their services?

Precisely.

I often find myself in disagreement with BF69, but on this one I agree. Don't like what they charge? Don't buy it. I don't. My wife and I feel subscription TV is also too expensive for what you get, so we don't buy that, either.

People going out and buying stuff that's too expensive for what they get, then complaining it's too expensive and "the government ought to Do Something" annoy me. Quit your whinging and just stop buying it.

I find all kinds of things either too expensive for what they return, or just plain too expensive for our budget, so I don't buy them. There are many things I may occasionally regard wistfully and think or say "That'd be neat" or "I wish I could..." and then move on with my life. Some of it is just plain beyond our means. I'd love to have a Dodge Viper, but it's well beyond our means. I thought I wanted a smartphone, but, after doing some research and pondering it, decided having some money put aside for a rainy day is more important than expensive flash and trash.

As long as people keep paying it, sellers will keep charging it. That's called "what the market will bear." It's capitalism. Yup, I think American consumers are being ripped off by wireless, subscription TV and Internet service providers. But it's their own fault for paying too much. Nobody's holding a gun to their heads and forcing them to buy the stuff.

Just. Stop. Buying. It. It's really that simple.

Jim