how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

yanks

join:2003-09-10
USA

Should I replace my DVR cable box?

I have the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 DVR for quite a while, and I know that Comcast is using newer DVR cable boxes. I'm not having any problems with it but I'm wondering if there is any reason to stop at a Comcast office and switch out the box for a newer model.

Is there any reason I would want to change it?

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:5

said by yanks:

IDK, but there are two reasons I know of why you may not want to change DVRs until you need to:

No easy way to save/transfer any recordings: »[DVR] Saving DVR recordings

No way to save/transfer your recording list to a new DVR: »[DVR] is there a way to save recording list from a DVR?

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

I'll add another one...he could wind up GETTING problems - just because something is new, does NOT always mean it's better...

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:5

That's true, don't know if there are any current issues with the latest Cisco RNG200 and RNG200N models that don't also occur with SA Explorer 8300 DVRs.

I did find this from a year ago: »RNG-200

wdsnls

join:2003-06-19
Palm City, FL
reply to yanks

said by yanks:

I purposely switched out my SA-8300HDC several months ago when I found out my local office had brand new Cisco RNG-200N boxes in stock. The box was brand new in factory shrink-wrap, manufactured April 2012. It has a 500GB drive and and matches all the other components (black) in my A/V system. The most amazing thing I immediately noticed was the picture on my Sony (XBR line, 3 years old), was noticeably clearer. I haven't had any of the problems mentioned in other posts and I am very satisfied with it and glad I made the change.

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1

Click the link for some issues that are on the RNG boxes but not the SA8300 HD boxes that should be fixed in the S26 Guide update:

»Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)

Another issue that I have seen on the Cisco RNG 200N DVR is if you are watching a recording while it is recording and press fast forward sometimes it will skip all the way to the live point instead of just letting you skip the commercials. I didn't see this on the SA 8300 HD DVR, but the Cisco RNG 200N DVR does have a much bigger hard drive so you can record more programs.
--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'