Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Sr Tech

Premium Member

to Sr Tech

Re: Best Imaging solution OSS or otherwise

said by Sr Tech:

If you have a server or a station that you can back up to, FOG may be a viable solution. This backs up using network booting option before you even mount the drive.

»sourceforge.net/projects ··· eeghost/

I have 2 NASes on the network so this is definitely worth looking into.

Sr Tech
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Meriden, CT

Sr Tech

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

said by Sr Tech:

If you have a server or a station that you can back up to, FOG may be a viable solution. This backs up using network booting option before you even mount the drive.

»sourceforge.net/projects ··· eeghost/

I have 2 NASes on the network so this is definitely worth looking into.

What your backing up to will have to be a physical PC based NAS running linux, FOG does not support Synology or other brand type units. I would like to see them make an add on for one or a manufacture support them in doing so.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Sr Tech:

What your backing up to will have to be a physical PC based NAS running linux, FOG does not support Synology or other brand type units. I would like to see them make an add on for one or a manufacture support them in doing so.

Duly noted.

Does it need something like FreeNAS or could it do a share from any Linux machine?

Sr Tech
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Meriden, CT

Sr Tech

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

said by Sr Tech:

Duly noted.

Does it need something like FreeNAS or could it do a share from any Linux machine?

You can do it as a share from a linux box, once in stalled you register the PC's that need to be backed up. Once done, it's a matter of rebooting and selecting boot from the network, select FOG and go from there. You can back up windows or linux clients. A lot of school systems are using this as a back up method as at the end of the year they push back the images to refresh the machines. What I have not done yet, there is a way to defrag and update the images (I need to get one of the people at work to show me how).

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

That seems pretty straightforward, I'll be trying this shortly. Thank you for the recommendation.