spc
uniqs
fishacura
join:2008-01-25
Phoenixville, PA

fishacura to navyson

to navyson

Re: FIOS prices getting outrageous

First, thanks for responding. I am fairly savy with PCs (actually I have built my own for years) but when it comes to networking I just struggle.

I have a home media DVR and this would indicate I cannot replace the actiontec based on what I'm reading. Not sure if that's true or not but that's what it seems to indicate. Perhaps I can just buy the same model actiontec??

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

When asking for router and config advise, it's best to identify why you want something different. Consider speeds, number of devices connected, distance and performance.

Then you need to state your environment. Coax vs. ethernet from ONT, if wiring exists or not, any services you deem important (like caller id or remote dvr service), and existing network equipment including Actiontec revision level.

You need the Actiontec for the DVR, but it's possible to put another router as primary with the Actiontec as secondary. Or you may choose to connect another router as secondary off the Actiontec primary. Or (more complicated) you may choose to bridge the Actiontec to another router making it primary, and feed the Actiontec as secondary.

Or you may be best off just updating to the current Rev.I Actiontec.

celticpride
@verizon.net

celticpride

Anon

if it was just my wife and i living at home i wouldn't need the internet i would just have directv but my kids live with us and they need the internet, i wouldnt even want the home phone and would only keep the cell phone for emergencys. currently paying $345.00 a month for all 4 services

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to fishacura

MVM

to fishacura
said by fishacura:

I have a home media DVR and this would indicate I cannot replace the actiontec based on what I'm reading.

Don't know what you're reading, but that's not the case.

Lots of options with various trade-offs list here:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations
said by fishacura:

Perhaps I can just buy the same model actiontec??

What would that accomplish?