how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cindyg493

join:2012-10-05
Morriston, FL

HughsNet is terrible and a ripoff

We live in a remote area of Florida,moved her 2 years ago. We tried to find different internet options and nothing seemed to work here so we went with Hughesnet! Big mistake!! It ran us over $100.00 a month, we bought the highest usage plan so we wouldn't go over the allowed usage. It seems they offer high data plans but the daily usage is limited to you can never fully appreciate the amount of data offered. When we canceled they told us we couldn't because we had a contract, they never had us sign a contract. They told us the installer had us sign it......never happened. After many calls they sent us a package to return items from the satellite units. I packaged everything in the appropriate pockets and sent it back with a tracking number that showed it arrived, I sent it back the same day I received it. They now claim they never got it, even though we have the tracking information and they have turned us over to a collection agency that wants several hundred dollars from us for breaking the contract (that we never had and for not returning the equipment (which we did). Since leaving them I have found a better, faster, cheaper way of connecting to the internet. I just tether from my SmartPhone and with a 5 gb data plan we do pretty good! Thanks for letting me get that off my chest and hopefully someone will benefit from our bad experience.

LucasLee

join:2010-11-26
kudos:1

i'm sure this will come across as harsh, but it sounds to me like your bad experience was mostly due to lack of due diligence. I can't think of a scenario wherein HughesNet would activate a site without a contract, and even the cheapest HughesNet plans allow for at least 15gb/month of download bandwidth.

the real lesson here is do your research and make sure satellite internet is right for your location and circumstances.

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to cindyg493

said by cindyg493:

We live in a remote area of Florida,moved her 2 years ago. We tried to find different internet options and nothing seemed to work here so we went with Hughesnet! Big mistake!! It ran us over $100.00 a month, we bought the highest usage plan so we wouldn't go over the allowed usage. It seems they offer high data plans but the daily usage is limited to you can never fully appreciate the amount of data offered. When we canceled they told us we couldn't because we had a contract, they never had us sign a contract. They told us the installer had us sign it......never happened. After many calls they sent us a package to return items from the satellite units. I packaged everything in the appropriate pockets and sent it back with a tracking number that showed it arrived, I sent it back the same day I received it. They now claim they never got it, even though we have the tracking information and they have turned us over to a collection agency that wants several hundred dollars from us for breaking the contract (that we never had and for not returning the equipment (which we did). Since leaving them I have found a better, faster, cheaper way of connecting to the internet. I just tether from my SmartPhone and with a 5 gb data plan we do pretty good! Thanks for letting me get that off my chest and hopefully someone will benefit from our bad experience.

This is just like re-reeding something I had done read over and over atleast hundreds of dozens of times.. One night i got curious and wanted to see what all the fuss was about when HN was messing up real bad one late night and i found a bunch of complaint comments scattered all over google, bunches of different websites i had seen with nearly the exact same issue.. I do not get it, and its all because of the same company "HughesNet"

I just got one other thing to say about the part where you said: "several hundred dollars from us for breaking the contract" I actually would ~love~ to upgrade my equipment but you know what? there's just one little problem, we dont have enough money and its honestly true.. HughesNet pulls a bunch of money from us and there still begging for more, lots more too.
--
HN7000S/ 1 watt/ pro plus edition/ 4 pc's on a D-Link wired router/ 1-2 pc's on wireless D-Link router with password

C0RR0SIVE

join:2012-06-19
Salvisa, KY

1 recommendation

reply to cindyg493

If you think the ~500MB/day is bad, wait till you use 5GB/month.

$100 plan being around ~500MB/day = ~15000MB/Month + Plus 5 hours un-metered
$$$$ cell phone being around 5GB/Month = ~166.6MB/Day + NO un-metered time slot.

Oh, one other thing, remember, cellular carriers rarely restrict your speed asking you if you want to put some money in first, they just go ahead and grab with out asking unlike HN/WB.

diablo1892

Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

CORROSIVE? I can move to an 80 or even a 50MB allowance if i had my very own allowance all to myself... i barely need it in the day times.
--
HN7000S/ 1 watt/ pro plus edition/ 4 pc's on a D-Link wired router/ 1-2 pc's on wireless D-Link router with password

sgneubeck
Premium
join:2006-05-07
Watsonville, CA
reply to cindyg493

Recently, I went through the wizard for getting an iPhone through Verizon. When I found out how much it was going to cost for far less download, I clicked "exit." Hughesnet is slower but there are work a rounds, you don't have to sit there and watch a file download, and I use the center button when browsing news and forum sites so they are ready when I get around to it. As long as it is fast enough to watch a video clip, which it has been, I'm happy. But hit your limit and your done. More download, 5 hours each day for free, and a bunch of tokens, I'll stick with Hughesnet.

-Steven
--
HN7000s 5.8.0.82 ProPlus w/o static | 89W/1270H | 2 watt F1/D3 3.9.6T Datastorm | XP/W7/BSD/iOS 5
LAN is switch and wireless access point

diablo1892

Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

You don't have to "just" watch YT videos, you could also download other things like steam games. With HN you can download up to a maximum of 4.75GB of data all in one straight shot in the free time of one morning.. Magnificent speed when it comes to that, I'm happy when I see my monitor hit/reach its maximum speed.
--