spc
uniqs

MIA_LEAK
@comcast.net

MIA_LEAK to sempergoofy

Anon

to sempergoofy

Re: Mystery Leak

The pipe does not go out through the roof. It exhausts into the attic.

AC guy went up there and found no evidence of a roof leak.

Jtmo
Premium Member
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA

Jtmo

Premium Member

Great builder, exhaust into the attic space (Lint and moisture). I wonder what "other" short cuts you will find over the years.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

1 edit

Corehhi to MIA_LEAK

to MIA_LEAK
said by MIA_LEAK :

The pipe does not go out through the roof. It exhausts into the attic.

AC guy went up there and found no evidence of a roof leak.

Bad don't vent into the attic. Moist hot air coming from the dryer will cause a problem. I don't see the problem venting towards a neighbors house unless there a HOA rule against it. Your houses aren't connected??? Right??? There should be plaenty of room for a vent. It's not like it vents a crazy amount of lint or heat.

My house is 12 years and I had to replace all my vent pipe boots, they were shot and water had been leaking down one of them. I wasn't clear if you have checked out the boots.

MIA_LEAK
@tracfone.com

MIA_LEAK

Anon

Our homes are semi-detached.

The fact that the builders went out of their way to route the exhaust into the attic makes me paranoid about rerouting to the neighbors yard.

I need to research carefully the HOA and code implications in my area before I start drilling holes in the side of my garage.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

Being that you are in Miami, I would certainly call the building inspector's office and ask what the code is for down there. Being that you are in hurricane territory and down there they are a PITA about it, you will want to do it right and get the proper permits if needed.

We sold a home in Miramar and they went so far as to make us get a permit and inspection for a window that was installed BEFORE we even bought the house.

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26 to MIA_LEAK

Premium Member

to MIA_LEAK
said by MIA_LEAK :

Our homes are semi-detached.

The fact that the builders went out of their way to route the exhaust into the attic makes me paranoid about rerouting to the neighbors yard.

I need to research carefully the HOA and code implications in my area before I start drilling holes in the side of my garage.

The other homes must be set up the same way and have the venting in the attic. How are those homeowners handling this problem ? If other homeowners are experiencing this issue this should be able to be brought to the HOAs attention in a meeting.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

1 edit

Mr Matt to MIA_LEAK

to MIA_LEAK
You might want to go to the Fantech website, where the manufacture describes the booster fans they make:

»residential.fantech.net/ ··· er-fans/

You can install one of these booster fans and use a soffit or fascia vent. You might want to call customer service at Fantech and determine if the pressure from one of the bathroom fans will activate the pressure switch and turn the booster fan on. With a booster fan you will not have to worry about back pressure affecting the performance of your dryer.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to MIA_LEAK

Premium Member

to MIA_LEAK
said by MIA_LEAK :

You need to do more than that.
The existing exhaust pipe routed up through the house also does not meet code.
Why?
Because it links the garage space with with interior of the home (even though where the vent pipe is run is behind drywall).
Now imagine a garage with a car idling and the dryer on - where do you think the carbon monoxide is going to go? It's going to get drawn into the dryer and then leak into the house through the unsealed ducting.

Without seeing an elevation drawing for the front/side of the house, can you run some approved-for-chimney-use B-vent vertically from the current - or a slightly different dryer location in the garage - to a point on the garage roof that's hidden from street view (ie. wouldn't run afoul of the HOA rules). Sorry I'm not looking at your floor plan drawing at the moment, so forgive me it it's evident that what I'm suggesting isn't possible.

What about coring the house wall 12" above the pavement beside the garage door frame and installing the dryer vent facing the street? Can you hide a vent behind a bush in that area?

Or if the house has a soffit at more or less the garage ceiling level, run the exhaust pipe up the inside garage wall, then over to the soffit, and then vent downwards through the soffit using a 'boot' and install a grill over the boot. All the while making sure that there is NO way for CO gas to leak into the house via your piping.