rosenqui
Premium
join:2004-05-28
Kanata, ON

Zazeen (Acanac) IPTV approved

They've been granted a BDU license:

»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2012/2012-540.htm
»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2012/2012-539.htm

I for one anxiously await pricing details and commercial availability of their service.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·WIND Mobile

said by rosenqui:

I for one anxiously await pricing details and commercial availability of their service.

Interesting, do you know if Internet Service is required through Acanac, or can we Sub to IPTV with them and get Internet through another company>
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

rosenqui
Premium
join:2004-05-28
Kanata, ON

A condition of a regional BDU license is that the service be offered over a "closed network", so for now they'll require that you be an Acanac/Distributel Internet customer in order to subscribe to their IPTV service.

If the CRTC ever brings their broadcasting rules out of the 70s and allows a true over-the-top style service, your ISP won't matter and they could probably use IP geo-location to ensure that you're within the country or a specific region.

Local TV channel lineups and other things are dependent on your geographic area, so they need you to be their Internet customer for now to ensure that you're physically located within one of their approved service areas. Zazeen has an VPN service that would get you an IP address on their network, but it's unlikely that accessing the IPTV service via a VPN would be "closed network" enough for the CRTC.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·WIND Mobile

said by rosenqui:

A condition of a regional BDU license is that the service be offered over a "closed network", so for now they'll require that you be an Acanac/Distributel Internet customer in order to subscribe to their IPTV service.

I'm aware of that (the same applies to Bell... they run a line that only delivers IPTV) but I'm wondering if Acanac will require that we get "retail internet services" with them to get their IPTV service.
--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to rosenqui

Good luck getting content.

adisor19

join:2004-10-11
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to El Quintron

said by El Quintron:

said by rosenqui:

I'm aware of that (the same applies to Bell... they run a line that only delivers IPTV) but I'm wondering if Acanac will require that we get "retail internet services" with them to get their IPTV service.

There is no other way to please the CRTC and offer you IPTV service. You have no choice but to sign up with them.

The good news is that we already have 2 IPTV providers now : Colba.net and Acanac

Something tells me there will be more to come. The prices can only go down from here.

Adi

alexpb1

join:2005-06-23
Barrie, ON
reply to rosenqui

I am looking forward to Acanac IPTV. I am with Distributel (who owns Acanac) so I hope I will be able to order the service from Distributel's website.

I don't even care if they don't have a lot of content, tbh. Right now all I have OTA is CTV2-HD which is a crummy channel. If the price is right, I will be adding this to my internet services.

rogersmogers

@start.ca
reply to rosenqui

Price will be the same as everything else out there because the content providers set the price and if you want the customers to subscribe you will pay the price the broadcaster wants and you will pass that along to the customer. The same as all the other sat/cable companies do.

For those thinking it will be cheaper you are living in a dream land.

adisor19

Reviews:
·Acanac

said by rogersmogers :

Price will be the same as everything else out there because the content providers set the price and if you want the customers to subscribe you will pay the price the broadcaster wants and you will pass that along to the customer. The same as all the other sat/cable companies do.

Paul has already mentioned on the Acanac forums that their prices will be lower than the the current providers.

Also, Colba.net already has lower prices and includes RDS in their BASE package. So your theory has already been proven false. Nice try.

Adi
Expand your moderator at work

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
reply to adisor19

Re: Zazeen (Acanac) IPTV approved

said by adisor19:

said by rogersmogers :

Paul has already mentioned on the Acanac forums that their prices will be lower than the the current providers.

Also, Colba.net already has lower prices and includes RDS in their BASE package. So your theory has already been proven false. Nice try.

Adi

Colba.net's programming is limited to SD and the selection is still rather limited.

I'd be interested to see Acanac's selection and see how it compares to Rogers and Bell. I mean even Rogers and Bell are constantly in dispute with each other over carriage conditions so I'm skeptical of how Acanac will be able to deliver the same programming that the big guys are delivering at cheaper prices.

jackie999

join:2008-08-13
Aurora, ON
reply to rosenqui

The blatant collusion between bell/rogers is what keeps the prices high. I have a good feeling about acanac's new service - until proven otherwise I will be optimistic

adisor19

Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to yyzlhr

said by yyzlhr:

said by adisor19:

said by rogersmogers :

Adi

Colba.net's programming is limited to SD and the selection is still rather limited.

No, it's NOT. Did you even LOOK at their TV channel lists ? RDS HD, CTV HD, SRC HD and TVA HD are all channels offered in HD !

They also have a bunch of upcoming channels that have been announced in HD. Take a look : »www.colba.net/main.php?cont=iptv&lang=fr

Yes, they are still working on adding more HD channels but don't say they are limited to SD.

Adi

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:22
reply to rosenqui

Colba has a decent basic offering, which should work for people with limited quality and variety needs. However, for the list of channels I watch most frequently, they only have the SD versions (like Space or Discovery) or don't carry at all (like Military or A&E). They also have very limited HD coverage. Global? CBC? NBC? ABC? CBS? Fox? Discovery? Space? CityTV? PBS? TSN? CNN? All SD.

In fact, they only have one single English channel in HD, CTV. That's it. One single HD channel does not a compelling HD offering make.

I'm willing to cut them a lot of slack, despite my history with them, because they are trying, but they have quite a ways to go before they have a compelling offering.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
reply to adisor19

said by adisor19:

No, it's NOT. Did you even LOOK at their TV channel lists ? RDS HD, CTV HD, SRC HD and TVA HD are all channels offered in HD !

They also have a bunch of upcoming channels that have been announced in HD. Take a look : »www.colba.net/main.php?cont=iptv&lang=fr

Yes, they are still working on adding more HD channels but don't say they are limited to SD.

Adi

Sorry, I read elsewhere that they were only in SD and a quick scan of their website caused me to miss the very few HD channels that they actually carry.

But realistically, these providers need better programming to be relevant. With such limited programming, they'll have a hard time gaining marketshare from the big guys. In addition, they'll have a hard time convincing those who rely on OTA and OTT content to switch as they'll have to pay for programming that they're getting for free right now.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
reply to rosenqui

I'm pretty excited about seeing this... I haven't had PayTV in ages, but I'd get it from Acanac if it was good.
--

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:1
reply to adisor19

said by adisor19:

There is no other way to please the CRTC and offer you IPTV service. You have no choice but to sign up with them.

That's wrong. The CRTC doesn't mandate that you also purchase Internet service from the IPTV provider, only that you be on their network.

They could very well use their network to provide IPTV services to their customers without routing those customers to the Internet if they don't have an Internet account as well. It's a business decision by the provider not to offer IPTV services without Internet service being bundled with it, NOT a CRTC requirement.

Just like you can have Videotron VoIP without being a Videotron Internet subscriber.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:22
reply to rosenqui

Colba allows this by selling you an iptv-only dsl line with a dry loop fee. Still, that fee makes it a tough sell.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

eeeaddict

join:2010-02-14

I remember a while ago on the site there were the user connection and interconnect rates published for bell does anyone remember them? I think this could give a small idea of how much it would cost users for a tv only account

Jeffer71

join:2008-09-13
Carrying Place, ON
reply to rosenqui

Looking forward to this, I'll be dumping our Bell Sat Services when it comes available.

adisor19

reply to rosenqui

The preliminary list of channels has been posted on their forums. It is pretty decent

Adi

jackie999

Aurora, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to rosenqui

Agreed, the preliminary offerings look okay to me..many posters on the other forum are requesting their specific 'must have' channels before they'll commit..but I'd be happy with basic tv for a good price. Just being able to subscribe (and pay for) channels that I watch, rather than being forced to pay for a boatload of channels that I'd never watch, would be nice. I realize the CRTC has the final say on content - but, fingers crossed, acanac will be offering better value for my dollar.

alexpb1

join:2005-06-23
Barrie, ON
reply to adisor19

Please post the channels or at least link to where they are posted.

jackie999

Aurora, ON

1 edit

I've tried to post a link to the acanac community forum but I think it's not allowed here..
Post passed but something wrong with the font - if someone else can post a better copy I'll delete mine...

jackie999

Aurora, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to alexpb1

I'm not sure if they'll allow the link here,

»community.acanac.com/acanac/view···&t=21871

Look to the posts around Oct 16`12 for announcement of channels, I'll quote here, but the font is off,

TELEVISION QUATRE SAISONS �€“ QUEBEC-CFAP
CFCM QUEBEC
CFTM �€“ MONTREAL
CHOT �€“ GATINEAU
SRC QUEBEC (CBVT)
SOCIETE RADIO CANADA (CBFT) �€“ MONTREAL
TELEVISION QUATRE SAISONS (CFJP) �€“ MONTREAL
SRC OTTAWA CBOFT
TELEQUEBEC �€“ MONTREAL
CANAL SAVOIR �€“ MONTREAL
CJOH LOCAL NEWS
METRO CJNT