Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to rosenqui

Re: Zazeen (Acanac) IPTV approved

said by rosenqui:

I for one anxiously await pricing details and commercial availability of their service.

Interesting, do you know if Internet Service is required through Acanac, or can we Sub to IPTV with them and get Internet through another company>
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

rosenqui
Premium
join:2004-05-28
Kanata, ON
A condition of a regional BDU license is that the service be offered over a "closed network", so for now they'll require that you be an Acanac/Distributel Internet customer in order to subscribe to their IPTV service.

If the CRTC ever brings their broadcasting rules out of the 70s and allows a true over-the-top style service, your ISP won't matter and they could probably use IP geo-location to ensure that you're within the country or a specific region.

Local TV channel lineups and other things are dependent on your geographic area, so they need you to be their Internet customer for now to ensure that you're physically located within one of their approved service areas. Zazeen has an VPN service that would get you an IP address on their network, but it's unlikely that accessing the IPTV service via a VPN would be "closed network" enough for the CRTC.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by rosenqui:

A condition of a regional BDU license is that the service be offered over a "closed network", so for now they'll require that you be an Acanac/Distributel Internet customer in order to subscribe to their IPTV service.

I'm aware of that (the same applies to Bell... they run a line that only delivers IPTV) but I'm wondering if Acanac will require that we get "retail internet services" with them to get their IPTV service.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

adisor19

join:2004-10-11
Reviews:
·Acanac
said by El Quintron:

said by rosenqui:

I'm aware of that (the same applies to Bell... they run a line that only delivers IPTV) but I'm wondering if Acanac will require that we get "retail internet services" with them to get their IPTV service.

There is no other way to please the CRTC and offer you IPTV service. You have no choice but to sign up with them.

The good news is that we already have 2 IPTV providers now : Colba.net and Acanac

Something tells me there will be more to come. The prices can only go down from here.

Adi

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:2
said by adisor19:

There is no other way to please the CRTC and offer you IPTV service. You have no choice but to sign up with them.

That's wrong. The CRTC doesn't mandate that you also purchase Internet service from the IPTV provider, only that you be on their network.

They could very well use their network to provide IPTV services to their customers without routing those customers to the Internet if they don't have an Internet account as well. It's a business decision by the provider not to offer IPTV services without Internet service being bundled with it, NOT a CRTC requirement.

Just like you can have Videotron VoIP without being a Videotron Internet subscriber.