Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

zippoboy7

join:2006-06-18
USA
reply to MIA_LEAK

Re: Mystery Leak

You could also look at something like this for the dryer »www.amazon.com/Dundas-Jafine-TDI···00DZFTC6 or this »www.amazon.com/Ace-Dryer-Lint-Tr···00RLE5X0 if you cant vent it to the outside. Since the dryer is electric and in your garage you don't need to worry about CO discharge so the only thing that would come out is the humidity and chances are the garage is not air tight or insulated anyway so the humidity should not be a huge issue.

MIA_LEAK

@comcast.net

This looks like a great solution for me. Thanks!

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN
reply to zippoboy7

said by zippoboy7:

You could also look at something like this for the dryer »www.amazon.com/Dundas-Jafine-TDI···00DZFTC6 or this »www.amazon.com/Ace-Dryer-Lint-Tr···00RLE5X0 if you cant vent it to the outside. Since the dryer is electric and in your garage you don't need to worry about CO discharge so the only thing that would come out is the humidity and chances are the garage is not air tight or insulated anyway so the humidity should not be a huge issue.

FYI those devices and any devices like them are illegal. Code specifically requires dryer vents to exhaust to the outside. It doesn't matter if they are gas or electric dryers, they must exhaust outside. The only exception is if the dryer is a ductless dryer (which I have never seen) which apparently comes from the factory without an exhaust pipe.

The code is IRC 1501.1 if anyone wants to look it up.

MIA_LEAK

@comcast.net

Ken - even if the dryer is in the garage? The area that its in is already humid...

MIA_LEAK

@comcast.net
reply to Ken

I think what Ill end up getting is the indoor lint kit as a temporary solution.

I still need to research if venting outside to my neighbor's yard is plausible.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

If you can get permission to vent through the garage wall, to suffer minimum heartburn, I would recommend placing a 90 degree elbow at the back of the dryer and then run the vent vertically as close to the ceiling as possible, then run the vent line horizontally to the through the wall vent. The higher you install the vent the less like you will be to have problems with someone screwing around with the vent. High enough so no one can reach it without a ladder. You might have to make the wall penetration a couple of inches below the ceiling if tie beams were poured at the top of the garage walls. You might be able to tell by looking in the garage attic.

sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to MIA_LEAK

I think you will find that it really is temporary. I tried a similar device 20 years ago. You'll end up with dust/lint and moisture for mold/mildew to enjoy all over the space, wherever it is, if indoors. Currently that's your attic. Switching it to the garage is just moving the issue. You'll be much happier in the long run with a correctly implemented outdoor exhaust.

I wouldn't worry about exhausting toward your neighbor as long as it is outside where dirt/dust and moisture are there naturally.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

Ken
Premium,MVM
Markle, IN
reply to MIA_LEAK

said by MIA_LEAK :

Ken - even if the dryer is in the garage? The area that its in is already humid...

Yes it's very specific it must be outside and the garage is not considered outside.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to Ken

said by Ken:

The code is IRC 1501.1 if anyone wants to look it up.

AFAIKT IRC 1502.1 is more specific (but what I looked at might be NJ specific.)
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Ken
Premium,MVM
Markle, IN

I have an old code book so maybe it's under 1502.1 now?

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

said by Ken:

I have an old code book so maybe it's under 1502.1 now?

1501 is generic
1502.1 is for dryer exhaust.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to Ken

said by Ken:

The only exception is if the dryer is a ductless dryer (which I have never seen) which apparently comes from the factory without an exhaust pipe.

Had one of these on the yacht. Actually it was a European designed combined washer/dryer. Worked pretty well.

You DON'T ever want to have to vent a dryer out the side on a yacht considering when we hardened the boat and pointed upwind we'd get the gunwale practically awash in a good wind.