Markle, IN

Ken to stevek1949

MVM

to stevek1949

Re: Garage addition

said by stevek1949:

said by Ken:

said by Draiman:

Question: Would I use faced or unfaced? If faced should it be facing the garage?

I would use faced because you will need a vapor barrier when it is heated, until then the vapor barrier isn't doing much though. Yes it should be facing the garage.

I thought that the vapor barrier always goes on the warm side, which would mean the craft paper goes to the house.

Am I wrong?

From what I understand the wall between the house and garage is the original wall and the OP won't be insulating that as presumably it already is insulated. I was talking about the other 3 walls.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by Ken:

From what I understand the wall between the house and garage is the original wall and the OP won't be insulating that as presumably it already is insulated. I was talking about the other 3 walls.

There is really only 1 wall with any substance to the garage to insulate. That's the right wall with 2 windows. The front would need a little insulation as well and the small part in the back. The left side is drywall on the garage side. That's hallway insulation. The original garage wall is already dry-walled and insulated. That's the green wall in the pictures. Once the hallway is insulated with facing toward the house that takes care of all the conditioned space. From what Ken is saying the remaining faced insulation in the garage should have the facing pointing to the Lally columns (inward). That way if heat leaks into that area or we heat it eventually it's all set. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.