join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2

Hank to Cycholobo

Premium Member

to Cycholobo

Re: latest Frontier failure

Cycholobo - The folks that are responding and stating that email is not the service being purchased don't live in our area. So they single out the email aspect only; could be because the have stock in Frontier or are employed by them. The do not put up with the same poor service those of us in this area of WV do. I agree with you that when Frontier advertises a package deal and highlights what they are providing in that package deal then you have the right to expect them to provide decent service. It could be their local area is managed much different than the area you and I live in. So they have a different perspective of the service they receive from Frontier. Good for them that they are receiving decent service from Frontier. But they need to stop knocking folks that don't receive what they pay for, who receive service support that is well below acceptable standards, who get cut back on speed because Frontier does not address the congestion issue, and they just keep over selling an already over burdened system. That's only the internet side. I could list an equal or longer list of issues with the telephone service provided by Frontier.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

1 edit

darcilicious

Premium Member

So they single out the email aspect only

No, the OP did that -- brought up the Yahoo! mail service as the "latest Frontier failure".

could be because the have stock in Frontier or are employed by them.

Uhm, no. But thanks for playing!

wesm
Premium Member
join:1999-07-29
Seattle, WA

wesm to Hank

Premium Member

to Hank
said by Hank:

Cycholobo - The folks that are responding and stating that email is not the service being purchased don't live in our area. So they single out the email aspect only; could be because the have stock in Frontier or are employed by them. The do not put up with the same poor service those of us in this area of WV do.

So? We're still Frontier subscribers. Our service areas got bought out, just like yours did. Why does having a different opinion or even a different service experience mean that our stance is automatically suspect? I can't believe you don't understand how insulting it is to imply that when someone thinks a company is decent at what they do, that person has obviously been bribed.

In the FiOS areas of Washington, Frontier doesn't even advertise e-mail accounts. That said, of course Frontier has problems. We got our upstream speeds chopped with no warning and 15-30% price increases on Internet. Verizon had problems, and GTE before them had problems. My opinion (whoops, better check to make sure I haven't been paid for this opinion) is that Frontier has the same kinds of problems any other ISP has, but your frustration is compounded because you can't switch to another provider. Have you considered other outlets for your frustration, like trying to convince your city to build municipal broadband, assuming your state even allows that?

Frankly, no amount of complaining to Frontier or the FCC is going to do any good. Frontier has a good deal going by being the only carrier in the area and being protected by both law and geography. There aren't enough people in your area to make having multiple, competitive carriers worthwhile. Even if there were, large broadband providers have made sure that smaller or municipal providers can't even try to make a dent.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2

2 edits

Hank

Premium Member

Sorry, most of our area was not bought out. We are legacy Frontier customers. The reason you have a different opinion is because part of the agreement when the Verizon buyout occurred was that they would make improvements to those areas. Legacy customers in our area are not receiving the benefits of those improvements. Our service continues to degrade.

I do understand that it is insulting, but that was not the intent. So if you were insulted I do appologize. Likewise if you are receiving good service we are happy that you are. No one was accused of taking bribes. The entire point was that the statements by those from other areas have the misconception that the improvmeents are system wide. They are not, those of us in some of the legacy areas continue to have service degradation.