rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House

Clear Trying to Charge Account Closed 1 Year Ago

Click for full size
Just got 8 emails in a row within about 45 minutes, from Clear. Two of them say "We were unable to process your payment..."

Here's a news flash, I completely cancelled back in 2011 and threw the (dead, broken) device away.

This company has serious problems.

The other 6 emails-- and yes, all 8 spams were "TO" the same email address-- tell me the account is lapsed (well duh!) and give instructions on how to get reactivated.

Anyone other ex-Clear customers getting spammed like this?

mikalares

join:2011-06-01
Erlanger, KY
Something's going on. They aren't trying to charge your account intentionally. I'm an active customer, with an active account, and my bill is current and I'm still online, and I'm getting those emails. Rumors are saying they've been hacked?

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI
reply to rebus9
my account is paid and active but i got those same emails they must have had a computer or server glitch.

rebus9

Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House
reply to mikalares
said by mikalares:

Rumors are saying they've been hacked?

That would be an amusing hack. Break in and send out nuisance emails.

mikalares

join:2011-06-01
Erlanger, KY
Actually folks are saying they're phishing emails, trying to get unknowing customers to respond with information. I don't know. I'm just repeating what I'm reading elsewhere is all.

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?

join:2001-03-30
Brierfield, AL
reply to rebus9
People have been talking about this on the outages list too.

quote:
»www.clear.com has been down for at least the last hour. They've also sent two emails during the last hour that my service with them has been disconnected due to a billing problem (they recently charged me, seemed to go through okay). One already connected device is still working okay, but my other device hangs trying to authenticate.

If you're using Clear for connectivity, i'd suggest not disconnecting until they get this worked out.
quote:
I haven't used their service in over two years and they've been sending out emails hourly about billing issues. Their chat support line is currently slammed with people that I assume are having issues.
--
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.

Disclaimer: These are MY comments, my employer cant be held responsible.

rebus9

Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House
reply to mikalares
said by mikalares:

Actually folks are saying they're phishing emails, trying to get unknowing customers to respond with information. I don't know. I'm just repeating what I'm reading elsewhere is all.

Let's hope it's a system snafu rather than a phish. If it's a phish attempt, then Clear has been hacked because I create unique email addresses for each separate vendor I use. The only place that email was used is Clear.

Helpful tip of the day: for those who have their own domain name, use aliases to your advantage. Create a unique alias.... biz-name@your-domain.com. When you get spam, look at the "TO" address and you'll immediately know what company was either hacked or sold your email to a 3rd party. You catch them red handed. Plus you can shut off that alias (no more spam to it) without affecting your ability to receive email from everyone else. If you don't have your own domain, it's definitely worth the few bucks a year it takes to register one and host its email.

dipswich
Premium
join:2003-06-27
Raleigh, NC
reply to rebus9
If you call, the auto-attendant message basically says the messages were sent in error.

Looks like Clear is having a bad day.

yedric

join:2001-10-12
Orange Park, FL
reply to rebus9
Been doing this for almost 15 years. Works great. You might be surprised to see who ends up with an email address you given to a company that promises never to give it away.

I also received eight of these emails today. Looked at the email source and they appear to be "legitimate", all of the URLs really do point to clear.com.

rebus9

Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House
said by yedric:

Been doing this for almost 15 years. Works great. You might be surprised to see who ends up with an email address you given to a company that promises never to give it away.

I recently discovered an online vendor was hacked, possibly before they knew it themselves. I started getting banking-related phishing emails and called the company, only to be met with the telephone equivalent of deer-in-the-headlights blank stare.

Took a while to convince them HOW I knew it could NOT have been any other company on the planet letting that particular email address loose into the wild, but I think they "got it" finally.

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium
join:2005-06-21
Irvine, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to rebus9
Their website is down. I haven't had the need to call their phone number. My account has not been charged yet for Clear service. I would love to think that they got hacked, as their domain resolves to a: TraceRoute to 206.196.118.3 [clear.com]
Hop (ms) (ms) (ms) IP Address Host name

10 58 53 38 206.196.118.3 lizard73.cgrewards.net

Posted from Clear's Facebook:

"EMAIL ERROR: Today multiple emails with the Subject of “ Are you Missing your 4G Internet” Or “We Couldn’t Process your Payment” were sent in error to many of our customers. If you received any of these emails we would like to apologize for this inconvenience and ensure you that we are investigating the complete cause of this error to ensure it does not happen again."

"EMAIL UPDATE: Many of you have asked whether the recent email error led to inadvertent billing or a compromise of your credit card information. We can assure you that this did not happen. Thank you again for your patience."

DebbieKat

@premera.com
reply to rebus9
I was spammed by Clear today as well. I had an account with them once for 3 days I think about 5 years ago. Pretty bad.

rebus9

Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House
reply to WiFiguru
said by WiFiguru:

Posted from Clear's Facebook:

"EMAIL ERROR: Today multiple emails with the Subject of “ Are you Missing your 4G Internet” Or “We Couldn’t Process your Payment” were sent in error to many of our customers.

Sounds like the wrong database (or DB query) was fed to a mail merge script.

Oops.

Surfpick

@charter.com
reply to rebus9
The strange thing is that in one of the original emails it showed the last 4 digits of my card that was charged back when I had clear more than a year ago. Thankfully I just canceled that card and ordered a new one a week ago. And just to confirm, all of the links are legitimate and not phishing links.

ls

@clearwire-wmx.net
reply to rebus9
I am an active customer and have several same msgs. Clear is trying to figure this out.

Skipdawg
The Original
Premium,ExMod 2001-03
join:2001-04-19
Mount Vernon, WA
reply to rebus9
Looks like they have a message up anmd disabled the accout page while they work it out.

data2000

join:2012-09-21
Mchenry, IL
Read this today
clear screws up again

»www.pcworld.com/article/2011342/···ils.html

CaptSkeezix

@qwest.net
reply to rebus9
I haven't had Clearwire since 2009 and I received several of these emails too.

mario44222

join:2003-11-22
Cliffside Park, NJ
Got the same emails as well.