Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
Reviews:
·Comcast

[HD] MGM HD Deleted in Chicago. Coming Soon to You?

According to some sources, it appears MGM HD is being deleted from Digital Preferred. Now this one has not been added in some of the later conversion areas, and has a few locales where it was never featured (Eastern Shore of MD). Is MGM HD's days on Comcast over?

It's amazing to me how the industry giant can keep losing HD channels.

Spiderman865

join:2005-12-27
Joliet, IL
Here is the info from my bill: Effective 12/12/12, Digital Preferred channel 284 (MGM HD) will
no longer be available.
--
Yesh

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
12/12/12 is that right??

some kind of joke?

channel rebaning?

kb1

join:2008-11-15
South Bend, IN
reply to Os
Bad move by Comcast. If they want to get rid of a HD channel
they should dump Turner classic movies HD. An HD channel with hardly any HD.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to Os
how can they be dropping these channels?

Streetlight

join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO
said by mikedz4:

how can they be dropping these channels?

Maybe they're adding another sports channel in HD. The Tennis Channel?

They've been getting rid of premium and non-premium HD channels for some time and replacing them with channels that have commercials. It's claimed that the lost content is found in On Demand, but I'm not sure about that.

Turner Classic Movies is one of the most watched cable channels and when they do have HD programming, it's pretty good. Even black and white movies that were made in high quality and up-scale well look better on TCM HD.
--
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.

Sherlock Holmes in
The Boscombe Valley Mystery
A. C. Doyle
Strand Magazine, October 1891

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
said by Streetlight:

Even black and white movies that were made in high quality and up-scale well look better on TCM HD.

Yes, just because these moviies may be old, and even in Black & White, doesn't mean they didn't have high(er) resolution. Also, many are in a widescreen format (greater than an SD 4:3 aspect ratio).

See: Blu-ray Myths: Old Movies Do Not Benefit from HD
»www.filmjunk.com/2010/05/31/blu-···from-hd/

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to Streetlight
i already have the tennis channel in hd. Maybe espn goal line in hd?

Marcus Carr

join:2009-04-08
Baltimore, MD
reply to Os
They dropped TBN HD here this year but kept the SD channel.

nysports4evr
Premium
join:2010-01-23
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

said by Streetlight:

Even black and white movies that were made in high quality and up-scale well look better on TCM HD.

Yes, just because these moviies may be old, and even in Black & White, doesn't mean they didn't have high(er) resolution. Also, many are in a widescreen format (greater than an SD 4:3 aspect ratio).

See: Blu-ray Myths: Old Movies Do Not Benefit from HD
»www.filmjunk.com/2010/05/31/blu-···from-hd/

The thing is, with TCM HD, nothing is actually broadcast in HD. If they actually had HD transfers from the film of the original movies, yes, it would look at lot better, but it's not -- just the same 480i transfers upscaled to 1080i.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
said by nysports4evr:

The thing is, with TCM HD, nothing is actually broadcast in HD. If they actually had HD transfers from the film of the original movies, yes, it would look at lot better, but it's not -- just the same 480i transfers upscaled to 1080i.

Interesting, as the HD channel does look much sharper than the SD one.

But as you said - from the Wikipedia page on TCM (»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turner_Classic_Movies ):
TCM HD

In June 2009, Turner Classic Movies launched a high definition version of the channel, showing the same programming as its standard-definition channel. Initial programming was not in native high definition and was instead upconverted from standard definition, but benefited from the greater bandwidth allocated to the channel. Programs available on the high definition feed are broadcast in upconverted 1080i.
There is also a discussion thread about this on the TCM site message boards: »forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=165553
One post from that:
Posted: Jul 16, 2012
As Kriegerg69 noted, "TCMHD" isn't actually showing "HD" material, so this isn't what these films look like in HD, they're still SD. And 35mm of any age can capture more than the 1920x1080 HD format (if old films were limited to the resolution of SDTV, they'd look terrible projected on a big screen.)

(To avoid confusion, I wish TCM could fix up some mechanism to run a disclaimer line over the screen on the HD channel between films - "TCMHD does not yet show genuine HD material. We will in the future.")

The "HD" channel does look better - much less compression and, at best, it approaches DVD quality (usually for 4:3 black & white films, although widescreen films, which have to be artificially zoomed to fit the screen, from recent HD masters can look pretty good.)

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
For TCM HD, I've noticed that most widescreen movies don't fill the screen. I don't mean the normal letterboxing for a super-widescreen movie. I mean that there is a border all the way around, even though my TV is normally set to have some overscan (setting it to no overscan shows too much junk at the top on some channels.)

As for MGM HD, it may be simple $$$. Not enough viewers, too much money to carry.

Os

US
Maybe it is. But do you see any other provider continually removing HD feeds of channels? Everyone else is raising the bar, Comcast is lowering it.

kb1

South Bend, IN
reply to Os
Just got an e-mail from a Comcast customer service rep saying
" We are discontinuing the MGM HD channel in the greater Chicago region because most MGM content can be found on our vast library of On Demand". Do we even have MGM On
Demand? Thanks Comcast.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
By "most MGM content can be found on our vast library of On Demand," I don't think the CSR was talking about an MGM On Demand menu item, but that most of MGM's library of movies mastered in HD are already available somewhere in Comcast's "vast library of On Demand' content.

As it says on the Wikipedia page on it (»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MGM_HD ):
The network exists largely because MGM does not have to pay to license their own films, and (with a few occasional exceptions) the schedule is composed mostly of second-tier and less-popular films that are not wanted or licensed by other major networks and movie channels.

Os

US
reply to kb1
Comcast seems to want to get rid of all linear channels for On Demand.

I just don't see that move working out well.

Joe12345678

Des Plaines, IL
reply to kb1
what about asking that same rep where is CLTV HD?

Big ten ALT's in HD

Goal Line HD?

Spiderman865

join:2005-12-27
Joliet, IL
said by Joe12345678:

what about asking that same rep where is CLTV HD?

Big ten ALT's in HD

Goal Line HD?

Everyone has channels that they want which they do not receive. But CLTV-HD? IMHO, that has to be one of the worst produced channels on Chicago area cable systems. The others, would be a nice addition.
--
Yesh

Os

US

1 recommendation

reply to Joe12345678
I've seen you ask this like 500 times on this forum. What does it have to do with MGM again?

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL
reply to Spiderman865
said by Spiderman865:

Here is the info from my bill: Effective 12/12/12, Digital Preferred channel 284 (MGM HD) will
no longer be available.

Just got it down here on my bill as well...

kb1

South Bend, IN
reply to Os
Today the Comcast rep told me this is just happening in the greater Chicago region (we'll see). I do not know if it would do anything but we need to get more people calling and complaining about
this channel being dropped. This is a bad trend. Dropping HD channels when other carriers are adding them.

Joe12345678

Des Plaines, IL
reply to Os
What are they doing with the bandwidth of the channels they are taking away?

Just dropping CLTV HD as CLTV SD / CSN + is still in's old analog days of time shearing. Also same idea with goal line HD they have Redzone HD that is part time but they can't fit in the part time goal line HD that airs on days Redzone HD is off air.

The real move to VOD is is likely just to make cable card uses to pay more to rent a cable box.

Os

US
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to kb1
I'm not so sure about that.

In the areas very late to go all-digital and get their HD channels in the last year, places like Elkton, MD and Petersburg, VA, MGM HD was not added, even though surrounding systems had it. Petersburg got GolTV HD in its place, even though it's never been seen on any other system in the Mid-Atlantic.

Joe, as for the bandwidth, I'm not sure. My theory was for the Extreme 305 tier, but since that's not going over coax, I really don't know what they're doing.

There is no reason Comcast can't have lineups comparable to Bright House Networks. Instead of moving the channels to 2 per QAM to reduce compression, they're just leaving 20-30 open QAM's with what seems to be disinterest in adding new HD channels, but won't be needed for future internet speeds.

I'm cynical enough to believe that Comcast wants to make CableCard users miserable enough to pay box fees.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to Os
By me, MGM HD, ESPN News HD, and Disney XD HD are all on the same frequency (at least as of the last check a few months ago) and are probably the same across the country as Comcast tends to use the same 3:1 mux from their master site.

Joe12345678

Des Plaines, IL
reply to Os
maybe they have to dumb down the Chicago land systems to be the same as the city of that have less QAM?? room or have they been upgraded to be the same as Chicago land systems?