how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kb1

join:2008-11-15
South Bend, IN
reply to osravens

Re: [HD] MGM HD Deleted in Chicago. Coming Soon to You?

Today the Comcast rep told me this is just happening in the greater Chicago region (we'll see). I do not know if it would do anything but we need to get more people calling and complaining about
this channel being dropped. This is a bad trend. Dropping HD channels when other carriers are adding them.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to osravens

What are they doing with the bandwidth of the channels they are taking away?

Just dropping CLTV HD as CLTV SD / CSN + is still in's old analog days of time shearing. Also same idea with goal line HD they have Redzone HD that is part time but they can't fit in the part time goal line HD that airs on days Redzone HD is off air.

The real move to VOD is is likely just to make cable card uses to pay more to rent a cable box.

osravens

join:2011-01-26
Cumberland, MD
reply to kb1

I'm not so sure about that.

In the areas very late to go all-digital and get their HD channels in the last year, places like Elkton, MD and Petersburg, VA, MGM HD was not added, even though surrounding systems had it. Petersburg got GolTV HD in its place, even though it's never been seen on any other system in the Mid-Atlantic.

Joe, as for the bandwidth, I'm not sure. My theory was for the Extreme 305 tier, but since that's not going over coax, I really don't know what they're doing.

There is no reason Comcast can't have lineups comparable to Bright House Networks. Instead of moving the channels to 2 per QAM to reduce compression, they're just leaving 20-30 open QAM's with what seems to be disinterest in adding new HD channels, but won't be needed for future internet speeds.

I'm cynical enough to believe that Comcast wants to make CableCard users miserable enough to pay box fees.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to osravens

By me, MGM HD, ESPN News HD, and Disney XD HD are all on the same frequency (at least as of the last check a few months ago) and are probably the same across the country as Comcast tends to use the same 3:1 mux from their master site.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to osravens

maybe they have to dumb down the Chicago land systems to be the same as the city of that have less QAM?? room or have they been upgraded to be the same as Chicago land systems?