uniqs
share rss forum feed

mob
On the next level..
Premium
join:2000-10-07

Dyno tunes are so worth it

Click for full size
OK - so I had some issues with the tune provided by the company I purchased the tuner from. First run I consider the "dead" run since the car was barely alive.

The next run was done after a new file was written to the car after some consulting and tweaking.

That lead to this:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbgb3SBdkiQ

314 HP/327 TRQ on 91 octane pump gas.
--
Ich habe kein Mitleid - Me
You're a daisy if you do. - Doc Holliday
And as always, have nice day.

RoseWater

join:2012-10-03
Joplin, MO

I have heard of people using Dyno tunes and also saw something on TV about this just a short while ago. I am very interested in these kinds of things. So, what did this cost you?

mob
On the next level..
Premium

A little over $320 after taxes, etc. That includes a single tune file, the baseline dyno run, testing and a final dyno run or two to verify results. I supplied the handheld tuner to write the files to the car. If I had to get one for the tune it would have been over $650-$700

That being said, I am running a naturally aspirated car with very mild modifications. Once you start adding things like forced induction, modified cams, etc the difficulty increases dramatically, and the cost will reflect that.
--

Vamp
5c077
Premium
join:2003-01-28
MD
kudos:1
reply to mob

nice result, just sucks that it's a 3500+ lb car.
--
75/35 FIOS || MSN Msgr: scott001^gmail_com

mob
On the next level..
Premium

Thank you.
Yeah. Taking weight off the car is usually more expensive than other performance modifications, plus people often fail to notice them.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

And of course comes the issues with cutting weight, if its a daily driver one will not logically give up creature comforts. I would never give up the AC in a car that I had to use daily for example, But it does sap power and is rather heavy.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2
reply to mob

said by mob:

That being said, I am running a naturally aspirated car with very mild modifications. Once you start adding things like forced induction, modified cams, etc the difficulty increases dramatically, and the cost will reflect that.

That's the truth. I spent damn near as much dyno tuning my Cobra as I did on the supercharger (used kit). I sure miss that car. IIRC I was getting 450HP and 500lb/ft. Had a few other mods as well.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to mob

I will have to see if i can get my son to post a video of a car he built. Being a mustang owner you are going to like it. 697 hp in a street fox body mustang and yes it was dyno tuned. Even chevy owners envy it. I will try for this weekend. 9s in the quarter and a everyday driver. (not that its actually driven every day tho).

mob
On the next level..
Premium

1 edit
reply to thegeek

said by thegeek:

said by mob:

That's the truth. I spent damn near as much dyno tuning my Cobra as I did on the supercharger (used kit). I sure miss that car. IIRC I was getting 450HP and 500lb/ft. Had a few other mods as well.

Just kidding - did you have the intake from the Explorer that was pretty much better than every other intake for the 5.0L pushrod engine?
--

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to mob

The price for a couple of tanks of gas cost as much as the dyno tune nowadays.