Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA
reply to bhan261

Re: Difference between Verizon Digital Voice & Freedom Essential

Do you subscribe to verizon's voicemail service? and do you disable that or set ring count to 6 so your fax picks up on a lower number?

just random thoughts....

bhan261

join:2001-02-12
New York, NY

That line doesn't have voicemail activated. To be clear, the fax machine picks up and connects on all incoming faxes. But when it prints, it only prints about the top 20% of the page...on SOME faxes. Others print in their entirety just fine. Very bizarre!

shof515

join:2008-06-15
Ridgewood, NY

said by bhan261:

That line doesn't have voicemail activated. To be clear, the fax machine picks up and connects on all incoming faxes. But when it prints, it only prints about the top 20% of the page...on SOME faxes. Others print in their entirety just fine. Very bizarre!

does the fax have a spam feature? that could be causing it. Since it prints fine on other faxes and half fine on others makes me think there is problem with the machine and not the phone line

bhan261

join:2001-02-12
New York, NY

No spam feature that I know of. I'm out of town so it will be later in the week before I can check it.

jbgroup1
Non Conformist
Premium
join:2000-05-04
Dayton, MD
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
reply to dmine45

In a lot of the area around Dulles (Ashburn, Sterling, Leesburg and Herndon) Freedom Essentials is the telephone offering. I am considering moving to that area but as I want FIOS Digital Voice I have found it hard to find houses where FIOS is offered with DV.
--
...as an individual, I have a right to [do] what I think, what I feel, and I think we all have a right to our own destiny as individuals. And I think I have a right to choose mine and everybody else has a right to choose theirs.
»jonestown.sdsu.edu

danclan

Midlothian, VA

said by jbgroup1:

In a lot of the area around Dulles (Ashburn, Sterling, Leesburg and Herndon) Freedom Essentials is the telephone offering. I am considering moving to that area but as I want FIOS Digital Voice I have found it hard to find houses where FIOS is offered with DV.

I would bet my first born that all of area around Dulles is DV enabled and if anything you have dearth of old ONT's since folks jumped shipped as fast as possible in that area off Comcast.

andyjai

join:2001-09-12
Rowland Heights, CA
reply to zeejjl

I just upgraded my fios plan and also found out that they included the "verizon international choice plan with city rates" plan in DV. I used to pay $4.99mo for it, so my new bundle has an extra $4.99 savings.

buckweet1980

join:2011-12-31
Allen, TX

Sorry to high jack the convo.. VZW digital voice via FIOS is SIP based VoIP correct??

IIRC it's SIP based to the ONT which is then converted to traditional POTS.. The reason I'm asking is that I'm having a lot packet loss on my data path which is affecting voice too. I think they come over the same wavelength on FIOS. I had a tech out last night and he tested light levels and the data path was low. I believe there are only 2 waves running over the fiber downstream. One for data and the other for video.

Thanks!

danclan

Midlothian, VA

Yes its SIP based, which is why if you have a very old ONT you cannot get DV until you replace it as certain old ONT's do not support SIP.

fnnews

join:2003-04-29
Chino Hills, CA
reply to dmine45

Will Verizon send technician to my house to install anything or do something if I switch to digital voice? and do I need to stay home? Currently I have fios TV + internet, and have copper landline phone service from Verizon.

danclan

Midlothian, VA

said by fnnews:

Will Verizon send technician to my house to install anything or do something if I switch to digital voice? and do I need to stay home? Currently I have fios TV + internet, and have copper landline phone service from Verizon.

If your ONT supports SIP its a software change and they take care of all of it remotely. You do not need to be home unless they are replacing the ONT.

fnnews

join:2003-04-29
Chino Hills, CA

Thanks.... But how do I know my ONT support SIP or not?

danclan

Midlothian, VA

said by fnnews:

Thanks.... But how do I know my ONT support SIP or not?

If your home qualifies for DV, it's highly likely your ONT supports DV. They would call or let you know if a truck roll is necessary to enable DV - which would more than likely mean they would have to replace it.

Carnivore

join:2003-01-06
reply to fnnews

Wish I could still get copper landline service in combination with FiOS TV & Internet. My useless FiOS FE landline went down within 6 hours of losing power during Sandy and we were out for a week. Copper always stayed up during power outages no matter what.

danclan

Midlothian, VA

said by Carnivore:

Wish I could still get copper landline service in combination with FiOS TV & Internet. My useless FiOS FE landline went down within 6 hours of losing power during Sandy and we were out for a week. Copper always stayed up during power outages no matter what.

There are plenty of anecdotal stories to counter your one experience as well. Each has it's own issues. In a storm such as this last one its more than likely phone and power would be restored nearly simultaneously due to the extensive damage done to the power infrastructure which the phone system relies on.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

said by danclan:

said by Carnivore:

There are plenty of anecdotal stories to counter your one experience as well. Each has it's own issues.

Carnivore's issue, and apparently others as well, is that the BBU powering the ONT was the problem. True, it's anecdotal and perhaps a very small subset of storm-related experiences. »Re: Powering ONT without BBU?

Not sure that staying on copper is the answer, but it does make one question how robust the CPE system actually is.

It would be informative to have a peek at the numbers for the outage experience to see the larger picture.