uniqs

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan to fnnews

to fnnews

Re: Difference between Verizon Digital Voice & Freedom Essential

said by fnnews:

Will Verizon send technician to my house to install anything or do something if I switch to digital voice? and do I need to stay home? Currently I have fios TV + internet, and have copper landline phone service from Verizon.

If your ONT supports SIP its a software change and they take care of all of it remotely. You do not need to be home unless they are replacing the ONT.
fnnews
join:2003-04-29
Chino Hills, CA

fnnews

Thanks.... But how do I know my ONT support SIP or not?

danclan
Midlothian, VA

danclan

said by fnnews:

Thanks.... But how do I know my ONT support SIP or not?

If your home qualifies for DV, it's highly likely your ONT supports DV. They would call or let you know if a truck roll is necessary to enable DV - which would more than likely mean they would have to replace it.
Carnivore
join:2003-01-06

Carnivore to fnnews

to fnnews
Wish I could still get copper landline service in combination with FiOS TV & Internet. My useless FiOS FE landline went down within 6 hours of losing power during Sandy and we were out for a week. Copper always stayed up during power outages no matter what.

danclan
Midlothian, VA

danclan

said by Carnivore:

Wish I could still get copper landline service in combination with FiOS TV & Internet. My useless FiOS FE landline went down within 6 hours of losing power during Sandy and we were out for a week. Copper always stayed up during power outages no matter what.

There are plenty of anecdotal stories to counter your one experience as well. Each has it's own issues. In a storm such as this last one its more than likely phone and power would be restored nearly simultaneously due to the extensive damage done to the power infrastructure which the phone system relies on.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

said by danclan:

said by Carnivore:

There are plenty of anecdotal stories to counter your one experience as well. Each has it's own issues.

Carnivore's issue, and apparently others as well, is that the BBU powering the ONT was the problem. True, it's anecdotal and perhaps a very small subset of storm-related experiences. »Re: Powering ONT without BBU?

Not sure that staying on copper is the answer, but it does make one question how robust the CPE system actually is.

It would be informative to have a peek at the numbers for the outage experience to see the larger picture.