spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

scottbryan72

@verizon.net

just upgraded to 150/60

i just renewed my contract and got 150/60 i didnt speak to them my mother did so didnt get much details but someone has to come to the house on wed..i know im going need a new router

will anything else be done i was originally set up in 2010

have tv phone and internet

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29

said by scottbryan72 :

will anything else be done i was originally set up in 2010

Your coax connection between the ONT and the router will be migrated to cat5.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

scottbryan72

@verizon.net

so for that to be done they will have to run ethernet through the house to the router in my room?

and just to confirm to reach max speeds i need a gigabit card right?

UofMiamiGrad
Premium
join:2001-02-03
Great Neck, NY

said by scottbryan72 :

so for that to be done they will have to run ethernet through the house to the router in my room?

and just to confirm to reach max speeds i need a gigabit card right?

Yes you'll need a gigabit NIC and Cat 5 is run from ONT to router. They may also replace your ONT if it is a BPON model ONT.

iamloco724

join:2008-03-16
Brooklyn, NY

this is scottbryan i forgot i had a username here

anyone have any recommendations on a gigabit NIC pci that wont have a problem handling these speeds?

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by iamloco724:

anyone have any recommendations on a gigabit NIC pci that wont have a problem handling these speeds?

Intel PWLA8391GT, it's around $30 and available from Newegg or Amazon. I have 7 of these in various systems and all of them have worked perfectly for several years(I also have the 150mb plan).

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to iamloco724

said by iamloco724:

Basically any gigabit NIC. Even my old gigabit NICs I used in 2001 would have no problem with these speeds.(I got 550Mb/s throughput on my gigabit LAN with them in 2001) Any gigabit card now will not have an issue. My current PCs have no issue getting 900Mb/s+ throughput from my LAN.

iamloco724

Brooklyn, NY
reply to scottbryan72

my mom changed our appointment today and they continue to say they do everything from outside not wiring inside

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3

said by iamloco724:

my mom changed our appointment today and they continue to say they do everything from outside not wiring inside

No,they have to change out the router and run cat5 from the ONT to the router.
--
“My horse fights with me and fasts with me because if he is to carry me into battle, he must know my heart and I must know his or we shall never become brothers.
-Plenty Coups, Chief of the Crow”

iamloco724

Brooklyn, NY

yea i know this now from this forum just dont know why they keep saying that

has there been times where installers basically didnt do that or is it impossible for them not to?

joelsplace

join:2005-09-19
Roanoke, TX
reply to scottbryan72

I've had FIOS for years and started out with cat5. Maybe they think you already have it.

iamloco724

Brooklyn, NY
reply to scottbryan72

will there be a problem if the ont is far from the router..or they can pretty much do it with any layout

still concerns me that they keep saying on the phone no new wiring

there coming friday

dmodert66

join:2007-04-02
Ontario, CA

So how did it work out? I know when I went from 35 to 150 they insisted I would not need a new router or ONT. I wasn't home for the install but my family said it took all day and surprise surprise...New Ont and New Router...

iamloco724

Brooklyn, NY

hey sorry didnt update the post but it had to be postponed my mom had to go into work and she wanted to be here when they came so coming wed now

the router is the only thing on the phone they said then they said everything will be done outside..but like its been posted i obviously need ethernet from ont to router for this to work properly so im hoping no problems

RolteC
0h

join:2001-05-20
Fresh Meadows, NY
kudos:1

There is always a big disconnect between what the rep on the phone knows/sees to what the tech that comes to your house knows and has to physically do.

Happens to a lot of people and it happened to me. Listen to what people say on here and just let it be. The tech that goes over will know what to do and will hopefully be able to change everything out the same day for you.

iamloco724

Brooklyn, NY

1 edit
reply to scottbryan72

waiting on them to come today..meanwhile in the direct forum the misinforming continues " If you do a speed upgrade then there is no wiring needed, if you already have existing Verizon internet service.

Tonya C."

iamloco724

Brooklyn, NY

4 edits
reply to scottbryan72

all done

arrived at 2 finished at like 6

the guy wasnt very confident he actually pretty much tried to convince me not to go 150/65 so he didnt have to do the ethernet

he said this is the only 2nd time hes doing a setup for this tier then tried to say most of the time you dont even get that speed etc....

im on the 3rd floor ont is in the garage he replaced that and said that he should put the ethernet over the roof to the back to the room i have my router in

went with that plan even though i would have preferred it inside

the whole day he wasnt confident in the job he was doing he was on the phone several times saying things like i hope it works etc...

by the time we got the ethernet through the hole he drilled he had someone else come to finish up the process with the ethernet and router and that guy basically the same way as the other guy but a little more confident but with setting up the ethernet he had to look at a image of the wire colors on his blackberry to make sure he got it right

end result is this

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

prisaz

join:2008-08-11
Germantown, MD
reply to joelsplace

I keep hearing everyone say CAT 5. CAT5e or CAT6 would be required for Gigabit Ethernet. If you have old CAT5 it should be upgraded.

houkouonchi

join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to iamloco724

Amazing what newer tech's will say to try to get out of an ethernet install (LOL).

Thats one nice thing about business connections is the business guys are usually more experienced and will run ethernet anyway so I didn't have that problem at all even though I already ran my own ethernet they told me they would have ran it because I was a business customer.
--
300/150 mbit Bonded Verizon FiOS connection FTW!

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2

Wrong, hes not a newer tech. When an entire garage gets 5 installs per year for 150 / 300 service, this is what happens. I know you think because you have it, everyone must.

buckweet1980

join:2011-12-31
Allen, TX

1 recommendation

reply to houkouonchi

said by houkouonchi:

Amazing what newer tech's will say to try to get out of an ethernet install (LOL).

Thats one nice thing about business connections is the business guys are usually more experienced and will run ethernet anyway so I didn't have that problem at all even though I already ran my own ethernet they told me they would have ran it because I was a business customer.

My tech told me MoCa was faster when he installed it.. I told him I wanted ethernet though and he complied.. Actions like above just show laziness to me. If it wasn't almost guaranteed to work, Verizon wouldn't offer it.

SLAMtech

join:2009-12-03
kudos:1

There are lazy workers in every occupation. Some techs will go above and beyond and some will just do the bare minimum or less to get out of having to do a difficult job.

houkouonchi

Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to buckweet1980

said by buckweet1980:

said by houkouonchi:

My tech told me MoCa was faster when he installed it.. I told him I wanted ethernet though and he complied.. Actions like above just show laziness to me. If it wasn't almost guaranteed to work, Verizon wouldn't offer it.

By newer I mean hired in the last few years. Originally all FIOS installs were ethernet for internet data.
--

FFJOHNL312
Premium
join:2007-12-16
Pawtucket, RI
reply to buckweet1980

said by buckweet1980:

said by houkouonchi:

Oh yeah, it's faster alright.....faster for him to do.

And, depending on when the tech was trained, he may have not had/paid attention to the training regarding making up an ethernet cable. These speed tiers are only a recent development, so the focus in training when it was done may not have been on ethernet.

ITALIAN926

No reason to run ethernet if youre on the 75Mbps speed package or less. You people are analyzing this way too much.

houkouonchi

Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by ITALIAN926:

No reason to run ethernet if youre on the 75Mbps speed package or less. You people are analyzing this way too much.

I had ethernet on 35/35. I am sorry but yes there *is* a reason to run ethernet. More reliable and way less jitter not to mention lower latency.
--

ITALIAN926

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Well, then you become the CEO of Verizon and instruct all installers to use ethernet instead of Moca. Youll last maybe a week. On my MoCA connection I get single digit pings and no problems whatsoever.

The only legit reason to use ethernet on sub 75Mbps is if the customer wants to use their own router for internet only. Or ethernet + customer provided switch and router to use Verizon router in combination for TV. Its a rare occasion techs come across this scenario.

houkouonchi

Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by ITALIAN926:

Well, then you become the CEO of Verizon and instruct all installers to use ethernet instead of Moca. Youll last maybe a week. On my MoCA connection I get single digit pings and no problems whatsoever.

The only legit reason to use ethernet on sub 75Mbps is if the customer wants to use their own router for internet only. Or ethernet + customer provided switch and router to use Verizon router in combination for TV. Its a rare occasion techs come across this scenario.

To each his own. To me a having 0.1ms of jitter instead of 1-3ms of jitter is well worth the Ethernet connection not to mention one less device I don't even have to have powered.

Also customer provided/switch router can be used even with moca so I don't think everyone would agree that is a 'legit' reason either. Its subjective. Atleast the modem can be a dumb bridge device for moca and it isnt like uverse where you are stuck behind their crap router/nat with limited sized nat tables.

That being said I have always done bonding/load balancing and had multiple FIOS connections pretty much from the start so needless to say regardless of type or speed I was going to go ethernet. Originally i had one 35/35 business and one 35/35 residential (with tv/phone) and both were Ethernet installs.
--

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA
reply to ITALIAN926

said by ITALIAN926:

I didn't realize there could be an illegitimate reason for ethernet over coax , originally all installs were ethernet and using the verizon issued router. I have always had ethernet and it does perform better for a host of reasons.

The benefit for most homeowners though of MOCA is that they can make use of the existing cable infrastructure to network their homes with simple MOCA adapters (ECB2200) or additional MOCA routers.

From a pure performance standpoint ethernet is better and has considerably more bandwidth than MOCA currently does and like Houk. stated there is less jitter and typically less latency.

The average homeowner though will never notice this much less make it an issue.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

When mine was installed (25/25) I just asked the installer to do ethernet. He said OK, however it wouldn't be supported and I had to have my actiontec there for diagnostics -- which isn't true but he thought what I was doing was cool. My actiontec is powered off... It's not for a non-network person though, so I can understand why Moca makes sense for 99% of the people because it can do the net and the DVR/STB use it, and most people have coax. Makes 100% sense. As things get faster, ethernet will probably take over.

For me, my house is 100% ethernet, and I run my TV right to a HDHR prime, which doesn't need the actiontec, and my ethernet cable goes into my Cisco router, and I understand that is the vast minority. However Verizon worked with me and I am very happy.