Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
Expand your moderator at work

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

Re: just upgraded to 150/60

I take full credit for maxing out my 640K memory.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

1 edit

said by danclan:

I take full credit for maxing out my 640K memory.

My first PC was before there was a PC. I dug deep in my wallet to bump 128K to 192K on a Heathkit S100 CP/M. Later, it took a while for me to have to bump up to 640K on my 286. I spent more of my efforts on CPU and graphics.

One reason mega memory is useful is to have multiple tasks running. Even today I have never really gotten away from my roots where I do one thing, close out then go do something else.

[edit to add nostalgic link]»www.old-computers.com/museum/com···sp?c=261

praetoralpha

join:2005-08-06
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviews:
·Earthlink Cable ..
reply to jarablue

said by jarablue:

I hit 150mbps pretty much everyday. Usenet and Torrents I get all my speed.

The whole "not a lot of servers can feed the speed" was true back in the early days. Not so much now.

Lubbin me my 150.

I regularly max out my 50mbps, even during the evenings. With CDNs and other cloud services, it happens with almost every download, though it might take up to 5 seconds to ramp up to the max. Unless there was an epic sale, Steam has always, always used up all my free bandwidth.

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by praetoralpha:

Unless there was an epic sale, Steam has always, always used up all my free bandwidth.

Steam always delivers:

@birdfeeder: please send me a message next time

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX

Boy I remember those speeds when I was on 150/35... I wish Verizon would hurry up with the business fios Quantum speeds so I don't have to pay $200/mo just for internet on top of everything else.

serge87

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by McBane:

Boy I remember those speeds when I was on 150/35... I wish Verizon would hurry up with the business fios Quantum speeds so I don't have to pay $200/mo just for internet on top of everything else.

I'm planning on switching to residential from business, I could be getting 300mb/s for the price I'm paying for 150mb/s right now. Neither nycdave, the other VZ reps on this forum, or anyone from the FSC has a clue when the business side will get Quantum so there's no point in continuously throwing $100 away each month. I just hope I'll still be able to continue to do 40TB/month with no complaints on residential.

kxrm

join:2002-07-18
Fort Worth, TX

I just thought I would reply and say I went the Ethernet route when I had my install done on a residential account. The guy only wanted me to go with MoCa so they could upsell the tv service and avoid another installation. There is virtually no difference between the two but yes the latency is better on Ethernet.

An installer will do Ethernet if you insist.

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

said by kxrm:

I just thought I would reply and say I went the Ethernet route when I had my install done on a residential account. The guy only wanted me to go with MoCa so they could upsell the tv service and avoid another installation. There is virtually no difference between the two but yes the latency is better on Ethernet.

An installer will do Ethernet if you insist.

Ethernet is a requirement for 150+ speeds. It's optional for lower tiers at customers request.

prisaz

join:2008-08-11
Germantown, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

4 edits
reply to scottbryan72

Lucky YOU ALL. I was installed in 2005, and can't get GPON.

I think Montgomery County, MD is a Very Large County, and if you include the Washington, DC Metro area, that also includes everything around the Capitol Beltway, I believe it is a huge market area. I can't be the only one that wants to go faster. Zoom Zoom!

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2

Just because you were installed on BPON, doesnt mean you cant get GPON. Many fiber hubs have both.

prisaz

Germantown, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by ITALIAN926:

Just because you were installed on BPON, doesnt mean you cant get GPON. Many fiber hubs have both.

Yes! But only if they have, or are willing to install GPON in your C/O, with a GPON OLT, and provide a GEPON split from what I have been told by engineers. MY C/O has NO GPON! Also I would have to pay for the truck run to come and upgrade my ONT. I told them let's ROLL. No Go NO GPON OLT!

Who wants GPON In the Washington, DC Metro Area? A post that leads to a Vote! I can't be the only one. What if Verizon finds out it takes off? Even if only one area? Might not be my area, but one could hope. I am in South Germantown, MD, and CAN NOT get a split for GPON! Really upset over the whole thing! Follow this link if you are in my area and can't have what you want!

»forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Inter···p/497137

ITALIAN926

join:2003-08-16
kudos:2

Maybe no GPON because youre first in line for the NEXT best thing

serge87

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to prisaz

said by prisaz:

Lucky YOU ALL. I was installed in 2005, and can't get GPON.

It is unlikely that Verizon will make any changes to the FiOS equipment in any given central office unless they are running out of capacity in that CO or are expanding the territory served from that CO. If the area where you reside is currently served by BPON, in all likelihood, that is the way it will remain for the foreseeable future. So go door-to-door and start signing up your neighbors for FIOS

said by ITALIAN926:

Maybe no GPON because youre first in line for the NEXT best thing

XGPON won't be here for several years, GPON is here to stay for now.

prisaz

Germantown, MD

1 edit
reply to ITALIAN926

YEA! One could only hope. I was told not anytime in the near future. So I am not going to hold my breath for XGPON! Or GEPON Or anything higher than 75/35. I would have dead brain cells first. I don't expect to hear coming soon anytime again.

prisaz

Germantown, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits
reply to serge87

I am on the board of directors and we have 80% coverage out of two splitter boxes, so if that is not high enough, what should one do? I am not going to survey the whole Washington, DC area for them. I put up a post or two on the Verizon Community, and an idea for vote. Seems no interest. So I will stay where I am for now.

#1. I bet that 80% are not interested in the faster speed. And one or two OLT cards does my neighborhood. So I guess hell will freeze over first.