join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7

4 edits

interesting bug discovered with the new guide

Click for full size
CC
to reproduce this bug successfully each time on an SA box:
1) set "closed caption" to "on with mute".
2) press the "guide" button on the remote once to display the guide then press the "B" button on the remote to set the guide to expand so the guide is "semi-transparent" with the tv content currently playing (like depicted in the attached picture).
3) tune to channel 12
4) press the channel up button once to move from channel 12 to channel 13 then immediately press the guide button once.
5) the closed captions will turn off if you press exit.
this interesting bug has nothing to do with what channel the box is on.
for the purpose of this test, channel 13 was used since the likelihood of closed caption being on is much better on channel 13.
the bug does not work a second time unless you change the channel first then press guide with closed captions set to "on with mute".
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 recommendation

I've also noticed when the 'On with Mute' option in Closed Captioning is selected when on HDMI it switched the Audio/Volume Control from Fixed to Variable but it doesn't work on HDMI using either the guide volume muted or HDMI.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

said by kickass69:

I've also noticed when the 'On with Mute' option in Closed Captioning is selected when on HDMI it switched the Audio/Volume Control from Fixed to Variable but it doesn't work on HDMI using either the guide volume muted or HDMI.

interesting.
i had set mine to fixed prior to all this.
i checked after you posted and found it was set to variable as well as the box volume not affecting the sound through HDMI.
did you catch my other find about the EMI/CCI being "free" for every channel, regardless of the content ?
--

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Indeed I have and saw that as well.

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ
reply to IllIlIlllIll

With this bug and the more critical bug being discussed, I am surprised more testing wasn't done before rolling it out. You would think these things would've been caught.

cablewizzard

join:2009-06-14
Hicksville, NY
kudos:1
reply to IllIlIlllIll

Interesting corner case - and I am curious how you ran into it (e.g.: what "regular user behavior" triggered it?) - the effort to reproduce it reliably must have been considerable.

Do I understand that right: you expect CC to continue once you hit EXIT out of the guide to quit the guide, but it doesn't. Does CC return if you un-mute and re-mute after that?

Is there a timely dependency between the channel change (to a CC'd channel like 13) and pressing the GUIDE button? E.g.: this doesn't happen if there's more than, say: 2s between those 2 button presses?

For lack of any other info I've seen to report new UI issues, it'd probably be best to report this bug via the direct forum.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to kickass69

said by kickass69:

But 'closed caption on mute' makes no sense if the volume is being controlled with the TV. The STB (which generates the captions) has no idea when the TV is muted or not.

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Well the box switching from fixed to variable means you're controlling the volume from the box at that point so one would think the box would then know if you mute the volume.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to cablewizzard

said by cablewizzard:

Interesting corner case - and I am curious how you ran into it (e.g.: what "regular user behavior" triggered it?) - the effort to reproduce it reliably must have been considerable.

Do I understand that right: you expect CC to continue once you hit EXIT out of the guide to quit the guide, but it doesn't. Does CC return if you un-mute and re-mute after that?

Is there a timely dependency between the channel change (to a CC'd channel like 13) and pressing the GUIDE button? E.g.: this doesn't happen if there's more than, say: 2s between those 2 button presses?

For lack of any other info I've seen to report new UI issues, it'd probably be best to report this bug via the direct forum.

after the upgrade, i went through all the settings on the box and set them to my liking.
i noticed the closed captions displaying random times i accessed the guide, so i paid more attention to figure out what i was doing that was activating them and came up with the steps to reproduce it, the effort to reproduce this wasnt considerable.
theres no time constraint, you can be on any channel, change the channel to another channel and wait all day until you press the guide, the CC still activates but if you EXIT the guide and press guide again after the first time, the CC doesnt appear anymore unless you change channel again.
--

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

1 edit
reply to kickass69

said by kickass69:

Well the box switching from fixed to variable means you're controlling the volume from the box at that point so one would think the box would then know if you mute the volume.

i havent tested this yet but i wonder if the analog audio from the box is muted when this bug is produced since "cc on mute" activates.
--

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to mbernste

said by mbernste:

With this bug and the more critical bug being discussed, I am surprised more testing wasn't done before rolling it out. You would think these things would've been caught.

if CV employees test the guide before roll-out, there was more than likely alot more bugs discovered that were reported.
--

mbernste
Boosted
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

Yeah, but these are pretty big bugs.

HRnogood

@ccc.de
reply to IllIlIlllIll

Maybe half of the company had 2-3 days to check it out a day before launch . The sups that dont know anything were testing for months now. Would of been nice if the employees or techs had more time to go through it and have a simple place to send bug reports.

EO50

join:2005-01-23
united state
reply to IllIlIlllIll

Thanks for the steps. I plan to try it when I get home.