All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Streetlight
join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

Streetlight to mikedz4

to mikedz4

Re: [HD] MGM HD Deleted in Chicago. Coming Soon to You?

said by mikedz4:

how can they be dropping these channels?

Maybe they're adding another sports channel in HD. The Tennis Channel?

They've been getting rid of premium and non-premium HD channels for some time and replacing them with channels that have commercials. It's claimed that the lost content is found in On Demand, but I'm not sure about that.

Turner Classic Movies is one of the most watched cable channels and when they do have HD programming, it's pretty good. Even black and white movies that were made in high quality and up-scale well look better on TCM HD.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Streetlight:

Even black and white movies that were made in high quality and up-scale well look better on TCM HD.

Yes, just because these moviies may be old, and even in Black & White, doesn't mean they didn't have high(er) resolution. Also, many are in a widescreen format (greater than an SD 4:3 aspect ratio).

See: Blu-ray Myths: Old Movies Do Not Benefit from HD
»www.filmjunk.com/2010/05 ··· from-hd/

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to Streetlight

to Streetlight
i already have the tennis channel in hd. Maybe espn goal line in hd?
nysports4evr
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23

nysports4evr to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

said by Streetlight:

Even black and white movies that were made in high quality and up-scale well look better on TCM HD.

Yes, just because these moviies may be old, and even in Black & White, doesn't mean they didn't have high(er) resolution. Also, many are in a widescreen format (greater than an SD 4:3 aspect ratio).

See: Blu-ray Myths: Old Movies Do Not Benefit from HD
»www.filmjunk.com/2010/05 ··· from-hd/

The thing is, with TCM HD, nothing is actually broadcast in HD. If they actually had HD transfers from the film of the original movies, yes, it would look at lot better, but it's not -- just the same 480i transfers upscaled to 1080i.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by nysports4evr:

The thing is, with TCM HD, nothing is actually broadcast in HD. If they actually had HD transfers from the film of the original movies, yes, it would look at lot better, but it's not -- just the same 480i transfers upscaled to 1080i.

Interesting, as the HD channel does look much sharper than the SD one.

But as you said - from the Wikipedia page on TCM (»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu ··· c_Movies ):
TCM HD

In June 2009, Turner Classic Movies launched a high definition version of the channel, showing the same programming as its standard-definition channel. Initial programming was not in native high definition and was instead upconverted from standard definition, but benefited from the greater bandwidth allocated to the channel. Programs available on the high definition feed are broadcast in upconverted 1080i.
There is also a discussion thread about this on the TCM site message boards: »forums.tcm.com/thread.js ··· D=165553
One post from that:
Posted: Jul 16, 2012
As Kriegerg69 noted, "TCMHD" isn't actually showing "HD" material, so this isn't what these films look like in HD, they're still SD. And 35mm of any age can capture more than the 1920x1080 HD format (if old films were limited to the resolution of SDTV, they'd look terrible projected on a big screen.)

(To avoid confusion, I wish TCM could fix up some mechanism to run a disclaimer line over the screen on the HD channel between films - "TCMHD does not yet show genuine HD material. We will in the future.")

The "HD" channel does look better - much less compression and, at best, it approaches DVD quality (usually for 4:3 black & white films, although widescreen films, which have to be artificially zoomed to fit the screen, from recent HD masters can look pretty good.)

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

For TCM HD, I've noticed that most widescreen movies don't fill the screen. I don't mean the normal letterboxing for a super-widescreen movie. I mean that there is a border all the way around, even though my TV is normally set to have some overscan (setting it to no overscan shows too much junk at the top on some channels.)

As for MGM HD, it may be simple $$$. Not enough viewers, too much money to carry.
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os

Maybe it is. But do you see any other provider continually removing HD feeds of channels? Everyone else is raising the bar, Comcast is lowering it.