FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

FFH5

Premium Member

Enjoy your long Thanksgiving Weekend

A happy Thanksgiving Weekend to all Canadian members of BBR.

Bob Anderson
join:2001-05-05
Ottawa, ON

Bob Anderson

I'm going to have turkey with some friends including a 17 yo girl exchange student from Japan who does not know what Thanksgiving is and has never eaten turkey.

-Bob

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

said by Bob Anderson:

I'm going to have turkey with some friends including a 17 yo girl exchange student from Japan who does not know what Thanksgiving is and has never eaten turkey.

Funny that you mention that. We were always a small family so didn't often make turkey. However, back in college I remember doing turkey and all the trimmings for my Chinese roommate who had never had turkey and wasn't quite sure what Thanksgiving was.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to FFH5

MVM

to FFH5
About to head out to my parents' place for a family Thanksgiving dinner

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

1 recommendation

Pauly

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

1 recommendation

Thane_Bitter to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· mgmEdfwg

"As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly"

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker

Premium Member

said by Thane_Bitter:

God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly"

One of my favourite episodes... although I think I'd pick the phone cops one as well (An Explosive Affair).

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

(youtube clip)
God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly"

One of the funniest sitcom episodes ever.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

1 recommendation

Anav to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
Thanks dEms!

OMG stuffed is an understatement. That was the main course and then we had three pies to choose from, apple cobbler type, the standard pumpkin and the last was a heavenly blueberry cranberry pie. Yes of course I had a sliver of all three and whip cream on top!!

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by Anav:

Thanks dEms!

OMG stuffed is an understatement. That was the main course and then we had three pies to choose from, apple cobbler type, the standard pumpkin and the last was a heavenly blueberry cranberry pie. Yes of course I had a sliver of all three and whip cream on top!!

Now all I want to do is eat a big piece of pie. All 3 sound delicious.

Pauly
canada

Pauly

its great to have a holiday that is not religious centric,, im tired of people saying "oh i dont celebrate it cus of religious reasons"

whats funny is there were atleast 3 people at work who said they don't celebrate thanksgiving becaue of religious reasons. i didn't know hindis and seeks are not allowed to celebrate thanks giving?

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Pauly:

its great to have a holiday that is not religious centric,, im tired of people saying "oh i dont celebrate it cus of religious reasons"

*sigh*
said by »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Th ··· (Canada) :
On Thursday, January 31, 1957, the Canadian Parliament proclaimed:

"A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed – to be observed on the 2nd Monday in October."
As a liturgical festival, Thanksgiving corresponds to the English and continental European Harvest festival, with churches decorated with cornucopias, pumpkins, corn, wheat sheaves, and other harvest bounty, English and European harvest hymns sung on the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend, and scriptural selections drawn from biblical stories relating to the Jewish harvest festival of Sukkot.

Pauly
canada

Pauly

thanks for being so "catholic"

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

Gone

Premium Member

Secular humanist actually, but thanks for playing.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
I had a great time as well... but this time I actually went out and had someone make the turkey for me, so no dishes... yay!

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by Pauly:

*sigh*
On Thursday, January 31, 1957, the Canadian Parliament proclaimed:

"A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed – to be observed on the 2nd Monday in October."

*sigh* indeed. The original reasons were not religious in nature and the Canadian proclamation came long after the day was celebrated.

From the same link as yours:
quote:
Lower Canada and Upper Canada observed Thanksgiving on different dates; for example, in 1816 both celebrated Thanksgiving for the termination of the war between France and Great Britain. In 1838, Lower Canada used Thanksgiving to celebrate the end of the Lower Canada Rebellion.

The first Thanksgiving Day after Canadian Confederation was observed as a civic holiday on April 5, 1872, to celebrate the recovery of the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII) from a serious illness.
From the main Thanksgiving web page that discusses both Canada and the United States:
quote:
Today, Thanksgiving is primarily celebrated as a secular holiday
quote:
Prayers of thanks and special thanksgiving ceremonies are common among almost all religions after harvests and at other times.
And directly concerning your bolding:
quote:
Although the original act of Parliament references God and the holiday is celebrated in churches, the holiday is mostly celebrated in a secular manner.
So, it's a Canadian custom created for various celebratory reasons that are not religious in nature, but can have religious connections as well as connections to harvests, wars, and just plain old giving thanks.

I realize it's fun to hate on Paolo because of his spelling or opinions, but he's absolutely right... "its great to have a holiday that is not religious centric"!

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

It's based on the harvest festival in Europe, which is religious in nature. It's all fine and dandy to say that it's celebrated as a secular holiday - so is Christmas and Easter, for that matter - but its roots are in a religious holiday, no matter how it may be celebrated today.

And that was the point I was trying to get across, considering that the person who posted those comments is... well... that poster. There are plenty of holidays in Canada with no religious basis what so ever - Family/Heritage/Provincial Day, Labour Day, Civic/August Holiday, etc. Thanksgiving, however, is not one of them.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by Gone:

its roots are in a religious holiday, no matter how it may be celebrated today.

The second point is a good one and you're right, there's other 'days off' but I interpreted his comment concerning the celebratory nature of the holiday, rather than a simple day away from work. As much as it was advertised by McGuinty as a day for families, I've never heard of anyone treating Family Day as a celebratory holiday for feasting with families.

However re-read his comment and how you responded to him above, those posts were not concerning your personal opinion on the roots of Thanksgiving but the holiday experienced today and he's right, Thanksgiving has turned into a celebratory holiday that people celebrate with their family in feast and not a suggested day for religious worship. I know plenty of non-believers and people of wildly varying religious beliefs that celebrate Thanksgiving with gusto.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I interpreted it differently, to mean that it religion plays doesn't - and by extension has never - played part in Thanksgiving. Granted, it is celebrated in a secular way more than anything else, but the root of the holiday is indeed religious. In fact, the word "Thanksgiving" is used numerous times throughout the bible, and many scholars believe that the word is in of itself biblical in origin.

It would be like us saying that Christmas is not religious centric. Sure, the idea of Christmas Trees, Santa Clause, presents and a few days off work (which, in all honesty, is probably the only time anyone who runs their own business is able to take any time off during) is now the forefront of the holiday and secular in nature, but the foundation of said holiday is still very much religious, and still celebrated in a religious way by those who see it that way. Just the same, Thanksgiving is a big religious deal - particularly among Europeans who are devout to their religious beliefs - despite the fact that it has overwhelmingly turned into a secular holiday.

I see what you're saying, but when one considers the source, and that there are plenty of truly completely unreligious holidays out there, the comment didn't make much sense.

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs to Pauly

to Pauly
said by Pauly:

whats funny is there were atleast 3 people at work who said they don't celebrate thanksgiving becaue of religious reasons. i didn't know hindis and seeks are not allowed to celebrate thanks giving?

And I am tired of such people tired of such people. May be they are not Canadians and not patriots? Isn't Hindi a Language by any chance?

Pauly
canada

Pauly

it was a spelling error, i ment to say hindu.
Pauly

Pauly to urbanriot

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

However re-read his comment and how you responded to him above, those posts were not concerning your personal opinion on the roots of Thanksgiving but the holiday experienced today and he's right, Thanksgiving has turned into a celebratory holiday that people celebrate with their family in feast and not a suggested day for religious worship. I know plenty of non-believers and people of wildly varying religious beliefs that celebrate Thanksgiving with gusto.

thanks man