spc
uniqs
cabletecht
join:2012-06-08

cabletecht to Jmartz0

to Jmartz0

Re: [iO] New Guide Rollout

said by Jmartz0:

I wonder what kind of horrible bugs they found that caused them to stop the roll out... seems now mum's the word from the CV techs too. Not a good sign....

After the roll out there were issues with SA boxes in those areas. Some started losing specific channels (black screens), and some would lose audio on all channels. Both issues are resolved by a reboot of the box.

Also an issue where parental controls were being applied to certain channels randomly, and the fix was to reset the pin.

Although they aren't major issues, and quick fixes, these are most likely the reason the roll out was stopped.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

1 edit

EliteData

Premium Member

Click for full size
CCI/EMI
said by cabletecht:

said by Jmartz0:

I wonder what kind of horrible bugs they found that caused them to stop the roll out... seems now mum's the word from the CV techs too. Not a good sign....

After the roll out there were issues with SA boxes in those areas. Some started losing specific channels (black screens), and some would lose audio on all channels. Both issues are resolved by a reboot of the box.

Also an issue where parental controls were being applied to certain channels randomly, and the fix was to reset the pin.

Although they aren't major issues, and quick fixes, these are most likely the reason the roll out was stopped.

additonally, every channel, regardless of what the content is, the CCI is "free".
prior to the update, the EMI/CCI field would indicate a flag respective to the content being played.
i will bet dollars to donuts 1394 to my pc and using VLC, i can save any content bit for bit without any issues. (i already have this setup but havent used it in a long time)
cabletecht

cabletecht

additonally, every channel, regardless of what the content is, the CCI is "free".
prior to the update, the EMI/CCI field would indicate a flag respective to the content being played.
i will bet dollars to donuts 1394 to my pc and using VLC, i can save any content bit for bit without any issues. (i already have this setup but havent used it in a long time)

guess that's a good thing..if it stays that way

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

i doubt it will.
the fact that i posted this will do nothing but speed the process up getting it corrected (the issue is bound to be discovered eventually anyway, content providers like HBO certainly wont like this if they get word about it)
it also proves that the EMI/CCI flag can be "overridden" regardless of what the content is flagged at from the source.
cabletecht

cabletecht

said by EliteData:

i doubt it will.
the fact that i posted this will do nothing but speed the process up getting it corrected (the issue is bound to be discovered eventually anyway, content providers like HBO certainly wont like this if they get word about it)
it also proves that the EMI/CCI flag can be "overridden" regardless of what the content is flagged at from the source.

yea. the flag is definitely controlled by the cable provider. I actually have noticed diff. flags when I compared the same channels on cablevision and charter.

least anyone with a Linux based HTPC can enjoy all the channels for the time being until they notice.

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat
join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY

momcat1 to cabletecht

to cabletecht
said by cabletecht:

Yes, inquiring minds would love to know!

Esp since Dutchess hasn't even shown any signs of any impending change, EXCEPT for the channels that black out completely, out of the blue, and don't come back up for a few HOURS. BTW, it was not during sun spot times either - I checked.

Yes, I'm shouting, cause I'm mad as hell...

If we're not currently being updated, then we shouldn't have to suffer through the bugs that those who have been updated are going through. There will be time enough when it finally is our turn to update, although after reviewing CV's information page I don't really see the point. It had better be REAL good.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

If you are not updated with the new guide then you do not have the bugs. Any black screen you see is unrelated to bugs that people with the new software have.

anonnn
@optonline.net

anonnn to momcat1

Anon

to momcat1
I'm in the Woodbury system, and none of our SA boxes have gotten the new guide. Oddly enough, last night our boxes automatically rebooted around 4AM and several channels went out for a few hours. Mind you, this is the second time the boxes have rebooted in the middle of the night since the rollout began. Would love to know what exactly is going on with the status of the rollout at this point and why my boxes have been rebooting...

ilsno
@optonline.net

ilsno

Anon

Has anyone anywhere gotten the guide with a Samsung Box? Im itching to get it and keep checking every morning.
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt to anonnn

to anonnn
There was maintenance in parts of Nassau affecting a number of channels last night. Sounds like you were involved. I don't think it involved any reboots though, that might have been something else.

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat
join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY

momcat1 to anonnn

to anonnn
said by anonnn :

I'm in the Woodbury system, and none of our SA boxes have gotten the new guide. Oddly enough, last night our boxes automatically rebooted around 4AM and several channels went out for a few hours. Mind you, this is the second time the boxes have rebooted in the middle of the night since the rollout began. Would love to know what exactly is going on with the status of the rollout at this point and why my boxes have been rebooting...

Only the second time? Count yourself lucky. Ours do it 5 nights out of 7. And the blacked out channels have been happening during prime time.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to ilsno

Premium Member

to ilsno
+1