All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bbq6
join:2011-04-03

bbq6

Can't see other devices with router as MoCA bridge

Hi everyone. For over a year now I've been using a second Actiontec router as a MoCA bridge to get my TV wired internet in the living room, setup according to this page: »Verizon Online FiOS FAQ. While we were watching something today it suddenly stopped in the middle of the video and my PC's media server was no longer visible as an input source (DLNA). The TV was however still able connect to the internet and had an IP address.

After trying everything I could think of software-wise didn't help, I decided to get a long Ethernet cable and hook the TV up to my main router directly, and my PC media server showed up immediately. When I plug it back into the second bridge router, into any port, it can no longer see the server. But, it does still have an IP address and can get online. I tried resetting the router and it didn't help.

So it seems the second router has not died completely as it still delivers an internet connection, it's just that the TV can't see other devices on the network when plugged into it, but can see them just fine when connected to the main router. Does anyone have any guesses as to what could have caused this out of the blue? I'm stumped.

Thanks for any help.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Try disabling the IGMP proxy on the main router.

Click on the Advanced icon.
Select IGMP proxy from the menu.
Select Disabled from the first pulldown.
Click Apply.
bbq6

bbq6

That worked, thanks! Turned that off and the server showed up on my TV immediately. I did a quick search but am not understanding the explanations of what IGMP is at all. Any ideas why it would be a problem out of the blue, or if there's any disadvantages of having it disabled? I never heard of that feature before and surely wouldn't have discovered it myself!
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

said by bbq6:

That worked, thanks! Turned that off and the server showed up on my TV immediately. I did a quick search but am not understanding the explanations of what IGMP is at all. Any ideas why it would be a problem out of the blue, or if there's any disadvantages of having it disabled? I never heard of that feature before and surely wouldn't have discovered it myself!

Vz pushed out a firmware update to the routers that enabled this feature. I had the same thing happen to my Airport Expresses, iTunes was no longer able to see them until I disabled the IGMP proxy as well.

I believe (and could be wrong, so somebody tell me if I am) that it has to do w/getting ready to support IPv6 on the routers that can support it.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

I don't think it's related to IPv6, but I could be wrong as well.

IGMP is used for a lot of things, but mainly multicast streaming video. Unless you have a specific need for multicast video streaming over your home network right now, turning off the IGMP Proxy probably won't change a thing. I'm guessing if Verizon turned it on at some point, they may be planning to use IGMP for VOD or IPTV in the future. Hopefully they'll fix the Bonjour/ZeroConf issues by then.
kes601
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

Thinkdiff's reasoning makes more sense than mine. And, yes, I hope they do fix the bonjour issues with it. I wouldn't have had a clue how to fix it had I not remembered a thread on here related to multicasting and the IGMP Proxy.
bbq6

bbq6

Thanks for all the info. I haven't heard of any multicast streaming discussion in my dealings with various DLNA servers. In what situation would this be required? Maybe just with some type of video streaming from Verizon's end and not through my home network?

I previously tried Plex which required installing Bonjour...does that have any relation to the Bonjour issues you're talking about? It worked fine at the time.

I checked both my routers and the secondary one is a Rev. D with firmware 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.6, and the primary is a Rev. E with firmware 20.19.8. Why the drastically different versioning schemes I wonder? Either way, IGMP Proxy was already disabled on the second router.

I love how Verizon pushes out such things with absolutely no regard for how the user might be using the device and which features/settings they may depend on. Maybe this is the same thing that suddenly prevented me from connecting to my wireless printer awhile back. I tried setting static IPs and they never kept. Basic features that were a piece of cake with my WRT54GL with Tomato. These routers are just awful. I would use the Linksys now if I didn't fear adding any more unnecessary complexity to this already shaky setup.
kes601
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

It would be similar. Basically the devices send out a "ping" saying "here I am" so the relevant other devices can see them. The proxy prevents those pings for reaching their destinations. In the PLEX case, PLEX couldn't say here I am tooth device you wantd to play it on.