newster to sfl0w

to sfl0w

Re: Newshosting...Fail?

said by sfl0w:

said by Postal8:

said by newster:

For instance, if you use headers, Newshosting would be a terrible choice

Why is this?

Newshosting currently only has a header retention length of 400-500 days.

Really? According to the Newsbin Pro newsreader developer, Highwinds caps headers at 120 million, which can be closer to two months in the big groups.
said by sfl0w:

do you know how long it would take to grab the headers for a.b.boneless, and the hard disk space for the spool,

Quite funny how you take the most extreme example as the basis for your argument. Very few header users have ever cared to download the big dump-groups like boneless. But lets not forget that its size depends on which NSP you use. First of all, Newshosting (Highwinds) carries about 2 months of a.b.boneless while others carry 4 years. And for some reason I was always able to download headers from Astraweb at double or triple the speed that Highwinds gave. And that's only when Highwinds had its header compression working properly, which it often was not. (Uncompressed headers can take around ten times as long to download.)
said by sfl0w:

... headers are a totally foreign concept ...
... they are not really used anymore....
... who the hell would bother using headers ...
... Headers are a total pain ...
... you don't need them anymore ...

Translation: Newshosting's headers suck so bad that the only possible defense is a strong offense, e.g., argue against the right of headers to even exist (which was not even the topic) in part to cover up Newshosting's dishonesty about bragging about "retention" while conveniently neglecting to mention that NH's headers now have a much shorter retention than ever before.

Like anything else, headers have their advantages and disadvantages, and for a wide variety of personal reasons, a lot of people choose to use them for some, many, or all their usenet functions. Someone with a 20mbit or faster connection, a good computer with big hard drive, an NSP that doesn't botch compression, and a newsreader built to handle it should have no problem for even the most extreme header use. (Headers only need to be downloaded one time, then the daily updates are quick.)

Most of the smaller niche groups are not even indexed on NZB sites, so headers are usually the ONLY way to access them. (A few NSPs including Newshosting heavily censor newsgroups, even though they advertise them as "uncensored" but that's another issue I won't bring up today)
said by sfl0w:

I have been with them for years now and have nothing but good things to say

Indeed, and it appears you have been vociferously defending this company against any and all criticism, no matter how true. (Newshosting's shoddy headers are just one example.) Why is this, anyway?

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson

Premium Member

I just signed up for my first try with usenet in general and the second I signed up I got this message....several hours and I still keep getting told that my IP is logged, etc....

Awesome

Will give them until tomorrow to fix or else I am switching to a company that allows me to access my account online

gjrhine
join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine

what message?

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

Bill Neilson

Premium Member

I kept getting told that my IP was blocked....except I never visited the site to begin with and the house that I am in never had UVerse before me.....though I am not knowledgeable enough to know if that matters or not IP-address wise.