join:2002-02-06
Brooksville, FL
ARRIS TM1602

Tursiops_G to goldensam

MVM

to goldensam

Re: [OOL] OOL/Hostway DDNS Application Yields Run-time Error 13

Same exact problem here...
Windows 2000 box (older Dual-P3 1GHz CPU Motherboard), dedicated to running just BOINC and the DDNS app...

No problems with the hardware itself... (If there was, I'd think that BOINC would be throwing errors as well).

Windows XP isn't an option on this ancient hardware, so if the Hostway DDNS app is indeed no longer supported under Win2K, then I suppose going to some flavor of Linux (Ubuntu?) would be the only viable solution...

DougFromLI
@optonline.net

DougFromLI

Anon

Hi guys, thanks for all the suggestions. VMWare sounds intriguing, but no guarantee that it will fix problem - it actually probably will not, and not looking to test to see if my W2K "image" backup would be able to layer on top of it.

It is definitely an OS issue. I have a 2nd box which I hadn't turned on in a month, running Windows 2000 SP4 - and it's a different H/W platform from my other box - and the same problem is being exhibited. I believe that they must have made a change on the Hostway login servers that is causing a W2K 2000 Login protocol issue - hence, the "Runtime 13" error. This change happened in the last 7-10 days or so, and "glad" to see that another W2K user is seeing the same thing.

Although a work-around and not a direct solving of the problem, I think Sam's idea is great. Run DDNS app on an XP computer on my network, and just make sure that my port 80 (webserver) gets diverted to my W2K box via port routing (which it is set up to do currently anyway). Well, I tried a quick test of this this morning, and voila!, it works. I never would have thought of that. The only drawbacks to this are:

1) It doesn't solve actually problem
2) I need to keep XP box on at all times now (LIPA's gain, LOL)
DougFromLI
join:2012-10-06
Miller Place, NY

DougFromLI

Further to last post, I did try to uninstall/reinstall DDNS app on the effected boxes, and this didn't resolve the problem at all.

The DDNS app V1.1.0 (their latest & greatest) hasn't changed since 2006, and it supported 98/Me/2000 at the time of software issuance.

Tursiops, if you have another box on your network running XP (or later), Sam's suggestion will work well. The DDNS memory footprint is only about 9,500K. I still have a case open with Hostway (Case # 15618341), and will still hound them for a solution. Perhaps you can call them and reference this Case #. Power in numbers.