spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JeffinNOLA

@cox.net

[Other] Newer router

I have had a WRT54G2 router for a couple years at least,with no issues. 6 months ago, I upgraded to an E4200. Lately it has been crapping out on me. I paid 50 dollars for the 54G2, but 130 for the E4200. It p**** off that the cheaper router is outlasting the new one by 2 years.

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:14
Put dd-wrt firmware on it »www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Li ··· ys_E4200

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to JeffinNOLA
In other words do not expect good performance, timely firmware updates etc etc from consumer routers. Lets face it CriSco (Linkshyt) perfected spending as little on firmware and providing hardware that was compatible with third party firmwares.

Stockfirmware that is decent is the realm of business class routers mostly.

a1computers

join:2012-10-06
Pasadena, CA
reply to JeffinNOLA
DD-WRT doesn't look promising for E4200, probably try updating Linksys firmware first

BlueMist

join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN

1 recommendation

reply to JeffinNOLA
said by a1computers:

DD-WRT doesn't look promising for E4200, probably try updating Linksys firmware first

I agree that the Linksys update if there is one for your unit is a good possibility to try or trying the alternate to DD-WRT, Tomato firmware.

tomato-E4200USB-NVRAM60K-1.28.0493MIPSR2-Toastman-RT-N-Ext which appears to be specific to your model. You might want to start reading at this link »www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?th ··· s.35865/ and see if Tomato is something you want to try.

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
reply to JeffinNOLA
i have been purchasing linksys routers (for home setups) for the past 10 years and have had a good experience with all the devices.

one thing to note (general statement) make sure you get the right product for the job.

i would never use a linksys router in a small business environment if it didn't fit their needs. keep in mind some small businesses are a mom/pop shop that has 1 computer for 'accounting/inventory' and a linksys router would work just fine for their needs.

don't use a linksys router (or any other home rated router) in a coffee shop with a hot spot that needs guest access and port restrictions, etc.... and then complain when the linksys needs to be power cycled multiple times a day.