Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1

Comcast AnyRoom DVR isn't Keeping Pace with its Competition

The Comcast AnyRoom DVR isn't keeping pace with its competition. It has the fewest number of shows that can be recorded at the same time and the smallest amount of disk storage in comparision with Comcast's major competitors. Many of the Cisco/SA STB areas don't have AnyRoom DVR functionality yet. There may be hope with the Pace X1 DVR, but so far it doesn't allow AnyRoom DVR functionality.

1) Comcast - AnyRoom DVR
* Record 2 Shows at Once
* 500 GB Hard Drive
* No additional AnyRoom DVRs can be added
»www.comcast.com/anyroomdvr

2) Dish - Hopper
* Record 6 Channels during prime-time
* 2 TB Hard Drive
* An additional Hopper can be added
»www.dish.com/technology/hopper/?···rc=aw.ds

3) Direct TV - Genie
* 5 Tuners
* 1 TB Hard Drive
* Additional Whole-House DVRs can be added
»DirecTV Preps for Launch of New Genie DVR

4) AT&T U-verse - Total Home DVR
* Record 4 shows at once
* up to 233 hours SD or 65 hours HD
* No additional Total Home DVRs can be added
»www.att.com/watchthisway

5) Time Warner Cable - Whole House DVR Network
* Record 2 shows per DVR (up to 32 shows at once)
* 75 hours HD per DVR
* 15 Additional Whole House DVRs can be added for a total of 16
»www.timewarnercable.com/east/sit···-DVPR-bo

6) TiVo - Premiere XL4 DVR
* Record 4 shows per DVR
* up to 300 hours HD per DVR
* 2 or more TiVo Premieres can be connected
»www.tivo.com/products/tivo-premi···dex.html

--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'

Comcast Guy

join:2008-01-16
Harrisburg, PA

DirecTV and Tivo charge an up-front fee of $399 for those boxes plus their monthly fees, so they had better be way ahead of everything else.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to Russ6

Lol, of course they are behind! I mean it's not Comcast's fault it's iGuide! We need a hate iGuide petition! LOL! Comcast will fail at everything until it gets rid of iGuide, which won't happen for a few more years yet. Sigh...
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:5

BTW - An article/slideshow on the FierceCable site today:

Top set-top boxes: Which reigns supreme?
FierceCable - October 15, 2012
»www.fiercecable.com/slideshows/t···supreme?

Slideshow: »www.fiercecable.com/slideshows/t···me?img=0

GTFan

join:2004-12-03

LOL, guess they didn't get the memo that the Moxi was discontinued. Kind of hard to take that comparo seriously with that kind of mistake.

Agree that a Tivo XL4 is expensive up-front, mine cost $700 with a lifetime sub. But oh so worth it compared to the junk Comcast puts out. Hopefully soon Tivo will release the 'Mini' STB that will enable whole-home DVR with one XL4 - right now you have to get multiple Tivos and it's not a great deal compared to, say, rolling your own Windows Media Center PC with Xboxes on every TV.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:5

said by GTFan:

LOL, guess they didn't get the memo that the Moxi was discontinued. Kind of hard to take that comparo seriously with that kind of mistake.

As I believe you know, while the retail version of the old Moxi DVR was discontinued by ARRIS, they now offer the "Moxi Gateway Gateway" to cable system operators: »Re: [STB] Moxi However, the unit that is pictured may be the old version, and stating it costs $599 would be misleading.

said by GTFan:

Agree that a Tivo XL4 is expensive up-front, mine cost $700 with a lifetime sub. But oh so worth it compared to the junk Comcast puts out. Hopefully soon Tivo will release the 'Mini' STB that will enable whole-home DVR with one XL4 - right now you have to get multiple Tivos and it's not a great deal compared to, say, rolling your own Windows Media Center PC with Xboxes on every TV.

Yes, I don't have a DVR yet (just a DVD-recorder/VCR unit) and have been seriously thinking about purchasing the 2-tuner TiVo Premiere unit. What's nice about that model is that it has an ATSC tuner so it can record the OTA digital channels. If I need more space, I believe you can add an external hard drive to it.

turnerbrewer

join:2011-11-22
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to FifthE1ement

Why do you think that Comcast does not use the Iguide in their TV commercials to promote their TV service?
No one in their right mind would switch from DirecTv or Dish knowing that they would have to downgrade from a superior HD guide to the horrible Comcast IGuide.
The SD guide that DirecTv has used for 10+ years is more advanced than the IGuide...

And now Comcast keeps pushing back the dates on when the new guides will be available..I keep hearing that my Motorola market will not get a guide update until sometime in late 2013....
My patience is wearing thin and the DirecTv "comeback" offers are looking really good with their new Genie 5 Tuner DVR..

If anyone reading this is thinking about switching to Comcast from another provider please think twice... You will only receive inferior hardware and a poor user interface.

kb1

join:2008-11-15
South Bend, IN

said by turnerbrewer:

Why do you think that Comcast does not use the Iguide in their TV commercials to promote their TV service?
No one in their right mind would switch from DirecTv or Dish knowing that they would have to downgrade from a superior HD guide to the horrible Comcast IGuide.
The SD guide that DirecTv has used for 10+ years is more advanced than the IGuide...

And now Comcast keeps pushing back the dates on when the new guides will be available..I keep hearing that my Motorola market will not get a guide update until sometime in late 2013....
My patience is wearing thin and the DirecTv "comeback" offers are looking really good with their new Genie 5 Tuner DVR..

If anyone reading this is thinking about switching to Comcast from another provider please think twice... You will only receive inferior hardware and a poor user interface.

I've been with Comcast since 1991 and am thinking about swithing to DirecTV. Our area finally goes all digital and what does Comcast do. Last year they dropped a bunch of premium HD channels and now thay are dropping MGMHD.
They say you can get all these movies On demand which we know is not true.

Cubbies

join:2009-12-11
reply to Russ6

I Justsaw WOW
(Wide Open West) anyroom implementation, it used the Arris moxi gateway it had 6 tuners and allowed additional harddrive to be attached. »www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-02/wid···ltra-tv/

Come on comcast hurry up and 3 tuner isn't going to cut it.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

no bad WOW does not have CSN + HD (but they do have fs Detroit + HD) , NHL network , nba TV, NFL network.

No big ten alt hd as well.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
reply to kb1

unfortunately some of us are limited by our apartment owners. I can't get directv because their dish is bigger than dish networks' dish and they "drill holes in the building" while dish "runs cables through windows."
I don't even think dish will work where they want it placed. They want it placed where it won't be seen. And there is a fence with woods behind it facing east and south.

»maps.google.com/maps?q=Linton+La···062&z=20

The building that has the blue car in front of it that has a patch of grass between the woods and it is where I would have to have the dish placed.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

said by mikedz4:

unfortunately some of us are limited by our apartment owners. I can't get directv because their dish is bigger than dish networks' dish and they "drill holes in the building" while dish "runs cables through windows."
I don't even think dish will work where they want it placed. They want it placed where it won't be seen. And there is a fence with woods behind it facing east and south.

»maps.google.com/maps?q=Linton+La···062&z=20

The building that has the blue car in front of it that has a patch of grass between the woods and it is where I would have to have the dish placed.

Hey Mike I'm outside your place, want to go for a beer, lol?!

I live in a condo and we have the same issue. However the Canadians voted to allow dishes almost anywhere! For a while they were putting dishes on cinder blocks outside of peoples windows in the back. We live in South Florida where in a hurricane they could turn into huge flying projectiles so eventually they required them to be in the ground. I just can't believe that Comcast is literally 10 years behind their nearest competition?
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

I think that is what the owners are afraid of. IF they allow other dishes people will put them anywhere and there will be dishes all over the place and wires running every which way.
The solution is allow a certain number of dishes or make the satellite company install one dish for the entire building. That way instead of 50 dishes they will be only two dishes (one for dish and one for directv) if that is possible to have two dishes for people who want the service or they could use an antenna or cable.