reply to SparkChaser
Re: De magnetize a compass
said by SparkChaser:Second the vote for using a bulk tape demagnetizer. I use one to demagnetize tools, it works great.
turn it on put in on the compass and let it there for 20 - 30 sec remove it and turn it off.
Never used it on something like a compass but see no reason why it would not work on such a small magnetized object. Be interesting to try it on a large magnet, like from a speaker, to see if it is effective on that. I'll have to remember to do that the next time I throw away an old speaker.