spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

timmah88

@shawcable.net

Getting internet on other computers

Hi, I'm not very good with computers and need some help. I currently have Shaw internet and would like to get wireless internet on two laptops that we have. The equipment that we currently have is an old blue motorola cable modem and an old d-link router that we bought about 10 years ago. What are my options here, do I need to get new equipment? I've read that using the new Shaw modem(with built in router) is slow and that having a seperate router is best. Thank you.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB

Your best bet will definitely be to upgrade your wireless router. There's tons of options for upgrades. How big is the house and what is your price range?

tlhIngan

join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC
kudos:1
reply to timmah88

Well, given you're using a 10 year old router, the combined modem-routers probably wouldn't be too big of a limitation.

However, unless you have plans to upgrade to BB50 or better, changing the modem involves having to visit Shaw to exchange the modem and provision service. It's probably just easier to go visit Future Shop or Best Buy and pick up a wireless router because you can do it all yourself.

What you need to do is decide on a budget - after all, they go anywhere from $20 to $200+, and there are very real reasons for the price spread.

twixt

join:2004-06-27
North Vancouver, BC
reply to timmah88

said by timmah88 :

Hi, I'm not very good with computers and need some help. I currently have Shaw internet and would like to get wireless internet on two laptops that we have. The equipment that we currently have is an old blue motorola cable modem and an old d-link router that we bought about 10 years ago. What are my options here, do I need to get new equipment? I've read that using the new Shaw modem(with built in router) is slow and that having a separate router is best. Thank you.

-

Hi, timmah88. Shaw will have specific recommendations as to how they wish you to upgrade. Contact them, explain the situation and see what they recommend.

Note: You want to pick the brains of a Shaw representative - but you do NOT want to blindly follow their advice. Bring their recommendations here for further discussion before you implement anything.

There are several options for you:

1. Upgrade the modem to something newer - but it is still just a cable modem. Thus, you will also have to purchase your own new router - and configure that to work with Shaw and your laptops.

2. Upgrade to a combination modem/router/wireless-access-point. Once you get Shaw's recommendation as to which device they are suggesting for you - come back here and ask for info on that device. There are different recommendations for configurations - and these vary according to which modem/router/WAP Shaw offers you.

3. Yes, you may wish to end up simply keeping your existing cable modem and purchasing a new router. That will be one of the options which gets discussed - once we know Shaw's specific recommendations for your needs.

-

There are performance considerations that change the recommended hardware according to what connection speed your laptops support - and also according to your usage patterns. Thusly, please let us know the make, model and specifics of the wireless capabilities in your laptops. This information also changes router recommendations in some circumstances.

Hope this helps.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to timmah88

I would highly suggest not getting a new modem from Shaw, as they now are a complete gateway, and in order to make them just a modem around, it get's a little confusing. To keep it simple, simple give us a budget and we can find a nice wireless router to do what you need. Getting a new modem from Shaw will end up being a pain, as you would then need to setup a new wireless router as an access point for wireless only. If you want to just plug things in with very little configuration, don't get the new Shaw modem. I've had it and it's great, but I just want a modem so I've reverted back to an old SB5120 for now.

kevinds

join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:2

And which city you are in, local-pickup vs shipping cost.

The other question that needs to be answered is, are you looking a faster internet connection as well or just wireless coverage?
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.