uniqs
share rss forum feed

gkeawe

join:2011-03-08
Norman, OK
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

[OK] Ultimate Tier Upload Speed less than 5mb

I've been on the Ultimate tier since it was made available in the Norman, OK area. My download speeds are great but the upload speeds are not what I've been paying for. I have a Motorola SB6121 and Netgear WNDR3700 Router, I bypassed the router and still the upload speeds are less than 5mb, can any cox technician in my market fighure out what is the problem. It seems everyone else is enjoying decent uploads except in Norman, OK. I get 4 bonded download channels but only 1 upload channel, why is everyone else getting bonded upload channels except in Norman, OK? Getting frustrated with my upload speeds. Can any Cox Technicians in my market please help resolve the slow upload issues. Thanks !!

bchandler02

join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK

I'm about 10 miles north of you and ~5MB is what I get on premier tier.

What are your signal levels looking like?

gkeawe

Norman, OK
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Click for full size
Signal Levels @ 0900

gkeawe

Norman, OK

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK

Those actually look pretty good. Some may say the SNR is a hair lower than "normal", but spec is 35+. Some here are seeing the powerboost hit their uploads as well and getting double digit upload speeds, I've never gotten that even when on Ultimate. I want to say I was getting 7-8 up when on Ultimate, but it's been a while so my memory could be wrong.

For comparison in Moore/S OKC:

Down:
Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:
Channel 1: 2.8 dBmV 35.7 dB
Channel 2: 2.9 dBmV 38.2 dB
Channel 3: 1.7 dBmV 37.6 dB
Channel 4: 2.0 dBmV 37.1 dB
Channel 5: 2.0 dBmV 37.5 dB
Channel 6: 1.6 dBmV 36.8 dB
Channel 7: 2.5 dBmV 36.8 dB
Channel 8: 2.3 dBmV 36.8 dB

Up:
Power Level:
Channel 1: 45.0 dBmV

»www.speedtest.net/result/2226702851.png

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to gkeawe

Also, if you've exhausted your support with normal tech support, there is an executive escalation line for the OKC area that you can call.

Are you seeing anything else besides slightly slow uploads? Packet loss, etc?

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Well I don't know if there is a noise issue on the upstream where he is, or if the upstream is limited by changes cox hasn't made yet. But being that he is only on a 16QAM, and not 64QAM on that upstream channel. Also on a 2.560 symbol rate, and not a 5.120 symbol rate. That really is limiting the upstream capacity available to him on that channel, and most likely a good reason he is not seeing 5mbps of upstream speed.

gkeawe

Norman, OK

Do you think I should try the Cisco cable modem that COX provides? I'm wondering if that would make a difference.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by gkeawe:

Do you think I should try the Cisco cable modem that COX provides? I'm wondering if that would make a difference.

You can do what you want, but I can say I am pretty sure your limited by the two things I said in my above post. I know a modem will drop down from a 64QAM to 16QAM, when there is a noise issue. But I don't know if 64QAM is available on that upstream channel or not. I can say with the modem only locked onto a 16QAM, and 2.560 symbol rate, you are really limited in the upstream capacity available to you. As for the other modem, as long as its a D3 modem. I see no reason in not giving it a shot, if you haven't already.

gkeawe

Norman, OK
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Click for full size
Thanks, I might try a Cisco modem to see if its a modem issue. I reset my modem and this is what I get now.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Try it, you can always go back if it doesn't help. If it doesn't though, I suggest you PM one of the cox guys on here, and see if they can look over things to see if there is a problem. Because me, or you don't know how the upstream channels are setup in your area, and what you should or shouldn't be seeing.

MarkRH
Premium
join:2005-02-08
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to gkeawe

I'm on Premiere with an Arris EMTA Docsis 2.0 modem and get this:

RF Parameters
Downstream
Freq/Power: 843.000 MHz -1 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio: 37 dB
Modulation: QAM256
Upstream
Freq/Power: 35.100 MHz 42 dBmV
Channel Type: Mixed (TDMA and ATDMA)
Symbol Rate: 2560 kSym/sec
Modulation: QAM16

I'd do a test right now but I'm streaming video in another tab. I don't think I've ever seen a test below 5Mb/s. I'm in NW OKC just north of Lake Hefner.

Way back when I was in Stillwater and was getting horrible upload speeds, the line quality tests on here were horrible.

dalekinder

join:2009-01-17
Virginia Beach, VA

gkeawe

Norman, OK

Damn ! I'm jealous !!! I want your upload ~ what kind of cable modem are you running? can I see a screen shot of your bondings, SNR and pwr. levels ?

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by gkeawe:

Damn ! I'm jealous !!! I want your upload ~ what kind of cable modem are you running? can I see a screen shot of your bondings, SNR and pwr. levels ?

Yeah they look nice in speedtest results only, hell I am connected to 7 downstream channels, and 4 upstream channels. Only real benefit atm is not really having to worry about speed slowdowns. Hopefully by end of this year, or Q1/Q2 of next year cox bumps speeds here a bit. As seeing couple customers in RI market, posting showing there ultimate speeds being boosted to what appears to be 105/20, does look real nice .

dalekinder

Virginia Beach, VA
reply to gkeawe

Click for full size
Here ya go. Ive mostly had DSL all my life for internet. I know all about dsl SNR and ATT but clueless on Cable stats. Can you enlighten me on what good stats are. Are my stats anygood?

dalekinder

Virginia Beach, VA
reply to gkeawe

Click for full size
And its a cable modem/wireless router Cox is offering. Netgear CG3000D-RG. Heres the up stream channels.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to dalekinder

said by dalekinder:

Here ya go. Ive mostly had DSL all my life for internet. I know all about dsl SNR and ATT but clueless on Cable stats. Can you enlighten me on what good stats are. Are my stats anygood?

Well your downstream stats look very good. As the minimum cox wants your downstream SNR is 35db, really want it above 38db imo. As for the downstream power level as close to 0 the better, but want it between -10db to 10db. I personally like to keep them between -5 to 5db. As for your upstream levels, you need to scroll down on that signal page. Because that image doesn't show any upstream signal stats.

Edit: nvm I see you posted the upstream stats, and they are ok. Channel 2 on the upstream is a little low compared to the others sitting right at 37db.

dalekinder

Virginia Beach, VA

Hmmmm it does not show my upstream SNR on that page. Ive looked but cant seem to find it.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by dalekinder:

Hmmmm it does not show my upstream SNR on that page. Ive looked but cant seem to find it.

The second image shows your 4 upstream channels at the bottom, I "edited" my last post. I am in portsmouth myself, So I am connected to same channels and all. Is your internet connection running ok? that's all that matters at this point.

dalekinder

Virginia Beach, VA

Yea runs good. Just saw some people posting figured I'd chime in and give my 2 cents. Yea your not to far from me. I live in Va beach. Moved here because of the navy. My 2 choices were Verizon dsl at 3.0mb or Cox 25.00month for 6 months. I use it mainly for Diablo 3 and Counterstrike. My wife watches netflix alot. Ive heard Cox has the data meter. And Ive been looking at it. But do they really enforce it? Ive used 86gb/250 and have 17 days left.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by dalekinder:

Yea runs good. Just saw some people posting figured I'd chime in and give my 2 cents. Yea your not to far from me. I live in Va beach. Moved here because of the navy. My 2 choices were Verizon dsl at 3.0mb or Cox 25.00month for 6 months. I use it mainly for Diablo 3 and Counterstrike. My wife watches netflix alot. Ive heard Cox has the data meter. And Ive been looking at it. But do they really enforce it? Ive used 86gb/250 and have 17 days left.

Well cox use to be soft about there caps, but now they have hard caps in place. As for them enforcing them, I haven't went over yet so I can't tell you for sure. But heard they have a email system that lets you know when you go over. Also heard they have a 3 strike system, meaning they can disconnect you for a year of service, if you go over 3 times which sucks. So just keep an eye on your bandwidth monitor. One of the main reasons I have cox's top tier Ultimate is because of the caps, and ultimate has a 400gb monthly cap which isn't much more, but price is up there.

dalekinder

Virginia Beach, VA

Well if I do get canceled I will just move to verizon DSl as they have no caps but its maxed out at 3mb. Netflix sure does eat a shitload of bandwidth.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by dalekinder:

Well if I do get canceled I will just move to verizon DSl as they have no caps but its maxed out at 3mb. Netflix sure does eat a shitload of bandwidth.

Yes sucks when the two options are only cable or dsl. Only a small number have access to verizon FIOS, which is the best option for internet, yet very limited. I can't deal with crappy slow dsl, so I make sure I manage my bandwidth usage. There is always the option of business internet. But pricing is higher, and contracts, which if you void with business contract. you have to pay off the rest of the contract in full. Also yes netflix eats up some bandwidth, about a hour of HD on netflix is about 2 gigabytes of data usage. I think on netflix site, under your account you can limit quality to lower bandwidth usage.

dalekinder

Virginia Beach, VA

I saw that you can limit the quality but Shes watching it on our xbox. Will that work for xbox as well? I tryed a google search found nothing. Most of the season shows she watches are in HD.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by dalekinder:

I saw that you can limit the quality but Shes watching it on our xbox. Will that work for xbox as well? I tryed a google search found nothing. Most of the season shows she watches are in HD.

Yes I still think it self manages the video quality for all streams on your account. You just have to sign in on netflix site, go to your account, and go to manage video quality.

dalekinder

Virginia Beach, VA

Hey thanks for the info. I will try it.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by dalekinder:

Hey thanks for the info. I will try it.

No problem, I just checked myself, and there are three options.

dalekinder

Virginia Beach, VA

It worked. Thanks.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA

said by dalekinder:

It worked. Thanks.

Happy I could help!