share rss forum feed

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

The "Inside Story" about what happened to Godaddy.com

SEPT. 10, 2012

»inside.godaddy.com/inside-story-···0-2012/?

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

1 recommendation

Re: The "Inside Story" about what happened to Godaddy.

Never to be one to believe everything I am told to some extent, something seems way too too here. I have to agree with the comment, "I’ve never seen so many words used to describe “something leaked, and we blew CEF max” before. I don’t suppose you have any details about what caused the extra routes in the first place?"

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

Click for full size
You hit the nail on the head...I thought their info really was B.S. propaganda.

They only came close to what really happened in this paragraph.
(my bold)

Network hardware, like any server or software, has limitations. A given device has a finite amount of memory and hardware resources. Careful planning goes into the design and configuration of each device and how it works within the network so the limitations are not exceeded. This is core to providing a highly available network. On Sept. 10, we experienced an "event" that pushed many of our routers beyond their capabilities.

Ok..so tell me about the event ??????
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to Name Game

They did, Name Game. Problem is does the [insert here] have the technical knowhow to make heads or tails of it?

Speaking as someone with 5years in Networking, GoDaddy's explanation made perfect sense to me. If I was Joe
Blow off the street, or worse yet Senior Management with a lifetime in business but SFA time in the technical, I'd
be like "so what's that mean?"

The problem isn't the explanation; the problem's putting it in an understandable format. In this case, the lowest
common denominator explanation is "something technical broke."

Regards

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

Yup..I understand..when this problem was happening and GoDaddy finally came up with the fact it was their problem...some pretty good theories were floating around out there as to how..and one that made sense to most was human tech error putting it wrong configuration info that started the chain of events going..not from the outside by some hacker..but rather a simple human error.